[1.0+] B.Dynamics - Retracting/vectoring engines etc. v1.2.0 (May 6)

BahamutoD

I've started playing with the jet engines today and the first thing I noticed is that... thy are ridiculously overpowered. (not to mention all jet engines are ridiculously overpowered)

A small 0.625 engine with advanced gimball and delivering more thrust ASL than stock and B9 jets? It seems like some sort of sorcery.

I mean, it's no problem for me to fix that using module manager but.. wouldnt it made more sense if those engines were less powerful?

BahamutoD: Great mod and great guitar playing on YT! I realised one thing among others when I saw your mod. You could probably make angeled fuselage mounted landing gear that retracts back into the fuselage, for looks and aerodynamics :) Like the F104 Starfighters has for instance:

Pic of the Starfighter: http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/imgs/lockheed-f104-starfighter.jpg

Is this something you have considered making? It would be fantastic IMO!

Just an idea for improvement, but I don't know if it's possible to do: Currently the critter accelerates when "walking" a descending slope. It behaves just like ordinary wheels. I would expect the critter to walk at the same speed mostly regardless of slope.

would it be possible for the pop-out RCS thrusters to detect when I have them disabled via the tweakable and not animate when RCS is activated? That would be sweet - I have not yet forgotten to re-enable jets I've previously disabled but I know one day I'm going to do that and the normal RCS blocks have no way of visually indicating when they are non-functional.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed that any craft using the small retractable radial engines will pick up a bit of rotation? not sure if its just my craft with some COM imbalance or if others have noticed this too.

Downloaded and tested all of these out. Very nice! Seems like maybe the turbojets are a little on the powerful side, but other than that, I like what you have done here.

Almost seems a shame they aren't part of stock KSP so more people could enjoy them.

I'm having a good bit of fun with the crawling base. It's a lot of fun, and kinda amusing to see what can be constructed within the small amount of space it provides.

EDIT: I just found an awesome, interesting feature of the crawlers. To replicate it for yourself, walk into one of Kerbin's oceans and just keep walking. You'll see it soon enough. It's awesome.

You can walk underwater.

Edited by Madrias

There's definitely a problem with TRR-1 tiny retractable motor. Its thrust imparts some roll to a craft. I get that it fires "out" a little bit. But, it's also firing to the side a tiny bit.

Here's a dumbed down example. This thing starts spinning as soon as it leaves the pad.

9A4584874FAB728493BE9881CD511863043FDFBF

There's definitely a problem with TRR-1 tiny retractable motor. Its thrust imparts some roll to a craft. I get that it fires "out" a little bit. But, it's also firing to the side a tiny bit.

Here's a dumbed down example. This thing starts spinning as soon as it leaves the pad.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/23960773105595885/9A4584874FAB728493BE9881CD511863043FDFBF/

Same behavior for me!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.