[1.0+] B.Dynamics - Retracting/vectoring engines etc. v1.2.0 (May 6)

BahamutoD

I have found something that bugged me about the Jet engine with this pack, but I am not sure if it is related to the troubles reported by Woodstar or not. but once I throttle down form full afterburner I am unable to throttle up past the 2'nd tick and go into afterburner once more. I do have mechjeb running and have prevent overheat on but I have not attempted to disabled the prevent overheat just yet.

Okay, I figured I'd wait a few days to see if anyone mentions this problem I'm having, but no one has so far, so here goes:

I'm having problems with the new spotlight. As it appears in the VAB/SPH, while I'm 'holding' it with the mouse pointer before attaching it to another part, it's oriented 'backwards', so to speak, and the light is ON. Upon attachment, the light axis is oriented 'down', through the surface to which the light is attached, and it's still on, showing a VERY bright spot on whatever wall or floor it's aimed at. Right clicking the part allows no 'tweaking', but then again most of your stuff, BahamutoD, doesn't in the editors, so that doesn't concern me. The real problem comes when I launch. After assigning my functions, all two of them ('activate light' and 'toggle mouse aim', or to that effect), to my desired keys, and then launching to the runway, in my case, I got nothin'. The action group keys I've assigned don't do what they're supposed to do, and right clicking the light itself only offers a 'toggle light' (I think) button, but that doesn't do anything either, the light stays off. Oh yeah, now the light is OFF in flight mode. So, no functionality whatsoever from the spotlight.

I've looked at the output logs, both during the game and after quitting, and there's nothing I can find having anything to do with this part or any related plugin malfunctioning or throwing NRE's or anything, it's like the game is completely ignoring that the part exists. Other than the fact that I can right-click the part to bring up a nonfunctional context window, that is.

This behavior indicates to me that there's a plugin missing, or not working, or something missing from the config file, but I've checked several times, the file in my GameData>BahaSP>Parts>spotlightTurret folder is identical to the one in my original .zip archive. Well, aside from the fact that I changed maxPitch to 90 and rotationSpeed to 9, but I can't imagine that such minor changes to a config file would totally break the function of a part in-game. The new plugin is in its own Plugins folder in the same BahaSP folder.

I'll try to remove the entire BahaSP folder in GameData and start from scratch, but I'm not optimistic. Btw, I'm not blaming anything to do with THIS mod for not working, I think... well, I'm pretty sure, one of my MANY other mods is somehow interfering with this one. Do we know of any definite conflicts with BDAnimationModules.dll and some other mod? Several people have been talking about having problems with engine animations, maybe this is related. I do have quite a few MM files that do a number of things with most parts in the game, but it's mostly stuff like increasing breakingForce and breakingTorque values, which doesn't seem to have caused much of a problem before. Tweakscale, Tweakable Everything, ATM, etc.

Oh, anyway, I'm running 32 bit KSP, I only have 4 gigs of RAM in my PC, so running this game in 64 bit wouldn't really get me much improvement to what I already have. That, and whenever I try running 64 bit it crashes with depressing frequency. :(

Okay, I'm off to experiment with some fixes, I'll check back in a few hours from when I post this to see if anyone has any quick thoughts. Thanks in advance for the help, if there is any offered, lol. :)

Update 8/11: Well, I tried the things I mentioned above, and I seem to have the spotlight working now, so it's all good. :)

Edited by Neutrinovore

Hmm it also appears as any engines as of the latest update break mechjeb's delta-v calculations bad enough that it shows no data at all if there is a part on the ship that uses the plugin. (even an unrelated part like the Taurus HCV that uses the plugin but isn't in this pack)

Ok I just spent the better part of the afternoon chasing this one down... very strange.

The problem Woodstar is describing, I also got the issue.

I removed mods, tried everything and was finally able to reproduce it in a "clean" environment.

To reproduce:

Install on a clean stock install this mod and the latest mechjeb.

Create a new save game (or do it in your existing, this part doesn't matter) and create a new ship.

On the ship put a pod (any pod or probe), a tank (any tank), mechjeb and a few TRR-1s.

Launch.

Stage and very carefully play with the throttle (you don't want to crash ;)) note that it works fine.

Open Mechjeb, Options and enable "Prevent Overheat"... note that the throttle pegs to zero and nothing works.

Worse from previous testing if you leave a ship like this and go to another ship even one without the TRR-1 parts, the throttle acts very very strangely (one ship I switched to had the throttle pegged to max, I could change it but it kept returning to max).

Here is the output_log.txt

https://gist.github.com/aelana/729f441c42cad5ddb18a

Yes it is the prevent overheat function in mechjeb stopping them from firing and throttling, IKD if it is a part problem or a mechjeb issue.

Update

v1.1.1

-updated BDAnimationModules.dll for AnimatedEngines dV and heat issues fix

--------

That should fix the problems with Mech Jeb, KER, and Deadly Reentry.

Damaske, I was unable to reproduce the problem you described with or without this update. Try re-installing the mod and getting the latest Mech Jeb if you haven't already.

EDIT: I found out that the RCS blocks are indeed 5way. God I love this pack.

Know what I'd really love? The coolness of the jet that's included (vectoring, animated goodness) with the RAPIER. So basically a recracty awesomely animated RAPIER. :D

Oh god wait, RETRACTABLE INTAKES. Pleeeeeeeeease! :D

Edited by Immashift

BahamutoD - I'm curious as to the rationale behind making the retractable RCS blocks have PhysicsSignificance = 1 set in their config file. I just noticed today when adding the blocks and not seeing my craft mass change.

Normal RCS is like this

Jaxx, you have many NullReferenceExceptions from Protractor and ResearchThemAll but no errors from my plugin. Try removing/updating/fixing those fixing those first.

I'm not sure why but mechjeb can't seem to predict the available delta-v when I put on your pop-out rocket engines.

Have you tried the latest version? I just fixed that.

Normal RCS is like this

Okay, by "normal" I guess you mean stock - but not all RCS blocks are like this. The ones I commonly use besides these retractable ones do in fact have mass. So I want to know if this setting is used just because that's what stock RCS is like or if there's something about the modeling and behavior of the part that requires this setting. Because otherwise I'd like to disable it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.