[1.0+] B.Dynamics - Retracting/vectoring engines etc. v1.2.0 (May 6)

BahamutoD

For variations for the Critter Crawler, when actived a "insect-like" Grabbing Claw, or a when deactivated a low profile "shield" with the legs wrapped up/around.

I'm using the ALCOR mod, which the stock shielded dock works almost perfectly, bit to high profile, but as this moment of writing, you cant open the docking shield in VAB/SPB,

so i got either use a normal docking port or make 2 vessels and cheat anti grav to combine them, or a complex launching arm platform

Edited by Pretender6
Rewording

You can add TweakScale features to pretty much any parts. Take a look at the cfg files in the GameData/TweakScale folder. Make your own folder under gamedata with your own .cfg. Just copy the format used in the previously mentioned files.

Hi there

Dude, iv been playing with this trying to get it right and cant seem to get my head around it, could you be a real MVP and post here the text needed, or make a cfg to add to tweakscale to make these parts scalable, or point me in the direction of someone who has already done it. :P

Thanks and much appreciated!

Regards

The Gecko

EDIT : nevermind, figured it out - for anyone struggling to get these parts to work with tweakscale, simply add the following ITALICIZED text to the very end of the .cfg in question - VERBATIM!

MODULE

{

name = TweakScale

type = stack

defaultScale = 1.25

}

}

where it says "1.25" that can be changed to whatever you want as the default size, but it will allow the parts to scale :D :D

Edited by Gecko99

• 2 weeks later...

Awsome stuff. Great work. There really aren't enough stuff like yours out there. But if i can indulge in my own selfishness, can we get some more multi-ped parts like the Crawler. The idea of a robot army calls out to me. Just re-sizing the parts looks weird and I'd love to see more varied parts. Sadly I don't have the know-how to make them myself, but I have some ideas if anyone's interested.

Edited by KnightOwl
I was very tired.

I will toss it on my game and see if my computer explodes.

will report back.... who knows, perhaps everything will be fine with 0.25 :P

EDIT:

So i have been messing around with the parts for quite a while now, and everything seems to be working fine.

im not sure what the "behind the curtain" activity is like but it all looks to be working as intended.

With that noted, <3 Crawler so good!

ThqKSuR.png

Edited by Trollsama
update

There is no reason why they shouldn't.

Nope engines don't work for some reason.

I played with this a little today after having two landers smash into Minmus. It appears they work on some vehicles and not others. My mun lander that uses the IL-40 engine works no problem, both on the mun and on the launchpad. My minmus landers - which are of a very similar design - receive zero thrust from their IL-40s. They'll make fire and noise while burning fuel, but there is zero acceleration happening either in space or on the launchpad.

My mod set has not changed since 0.24, where this didn't happen.

Another thing to note is that in the VAB, the ILX-40 defaults to being upside down. No clue if these are related.

Edit: This isn't a BD-specific issue. Bug report thread

Did some more testing with an almost-stock and a stock craft. Both my normal mod installs, and a completely stock install.

Craft file with BD parts. Should only need BD and Mechjeb installed.

Stock craft file.

Testing screenshots with some notes. This appears to be a problem related to vertical alignment of the engine and other radially mounted parts (I've tested landing gear and some other random junk). If the exhaust doesn't have a clear path to the bottom of the spacecraft, there is no acceleration applied.

• If the radial mount engine is positioned directly above the landing gear, it has no effect on the vehicle's actual acceleration.
  • Offsetting the engine and landing gear makes everything work fine.
  • Stock radial mount engines don't have this problem. <- Not true!
    • Rockomax Mark 55 engines don't appear to suffer from this.
    • Rockomax 24-77 (the little orange ones) do repro this bug.

[*]This happens with stock landing gear as well as BD's landing gear, and other radially mounted parts.

[*]Mechjeb reports the vehicle is under acceleration, even when it's clearly not moving.

Edited by Dickie Crickets
Add more test results.

So, a very minor issue you're absolutely under no pressure to address, Bahamuto--the Critter Crawler's textures don't show up in game if you're playing under OpenGL.

Of course, KSP was never intended to run under OpenGL (it's just a fix to address the hard memory ceiling). Strangely, the rest of the parts show up fine too.

Anyway, I eagerly await the next update.

EDIT: Resizing the textures fixed the issue--curiously, the engines needed no modification, their textures work fine.

Edited by Synthesis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.