[1.0+] B.Dynamics - Retracting/vectoring engines etc. v1.2.0 (May 6)

BahamutoD

Tweakscale introduced a HUGE mirror bug when adding more than one item at a time, I think he removed TS support to avoid the headaches of people complaining about tweakscale issues.

The tweakscale bug in question is Adding a normal part and having the mirrored part be at its largest size with no way to adjust it and just making errors pop up all over the place if you try to fly with it all messed up. I've had to end program a few times when it happened in the past to me.

Tweakscale introduced a HUGE mirror bug when adding more than one item at a time, I think he removed TS support to avoid the headaches of people complaining about tweakscale issues.

The tweakscale bug in question is Adding a normal part and having the mirrored part be at its largest size with no way to adjust it and just making errors pop up all over the place if you try to fly with it all messed up. I've had to end program a few times when it happened in the past to me.

must have been an issue with tweakscale then because that is not happening on my version

It happens but its a rare bug form what i have seen. It sometimes works no troubles but mostly with modded parts will it freak out. Some think its an inherent issues with KSP mirror code itself. But no one knows for sure yet.

well then if thats the case (and it doesnt seem to be happening very often) its not anything baha can do something about, so if hes not against it originally he should reconsider adding TS support back in. because to be honest the niche his retractable engines fill is invaluable to lander/vtol design (b9 vtol's being better suited as main engines/radially attached rather then surface)

So, I managed to get my crawlers to walk on landed vehicles. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on flying ships due to the way it relies on surface speed for a number of things, so I guess it'll take a bit more work before I'm done here. I want these skittering around my ships! :D

Edited by Yski

So, I managed to get my crawlers to walk on landed vehicles. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on flying ships due to the way it relies on surface speed for a number of things, so I guess it'll take a bit more work before I'm done here. I want these skittering around my ships! :D

Of course it would be grand if they could have KAS attachments and ability to adjust/fix/attach parts like little repair droids... ;)

To do that I would probably have to fork KAS as well. Unfortunately one of the big selling points of KAS is that it gives some purpose to EVA, so I doubt they'd accept my pull requests* for non EVA KAS functionality. Unlike Baha's mods, the license isn't very permissive, so I couldn't give you the dll, only the source code, even if I managed to make it work.

So probably no repair droids for a while, but you might get ship-skittering droids at some point, if all goes well :P

..That being said, no guarantees. I think this might work, but don't get your hopes up until it's actually done :)

*pull request is a fancy word for a request to take my code and combine it with theirs

Edited by Yski

So, the way the critter crawler works is that there are four invisible wheels that move the whole thing. As it turns out, wheels flat out stop working in KSP once you get to orbit.

I guess I'll test if the firespitter wheels do the same :huh:

EDIT: Nope, they have failed me as well. Seems like I'll either have to get rid of wheels completely and do the movement from scratch myself, or stick to planets. Does anyone have any grand ideas that would make my wheels spin after all?

Edited by Yski

Hey Bahamuto,

Interstellar has come out recently, and my favorite Charicter is TARS. Since you make the critterCrawler engine, could you make a TARS that can walk/run/roll (that sort of thing)?

AGREED ENTIRELY! TARS was awesome and it would be SO cool if it could be a little probe thing you could carry on your vessel.

This mod does work with KSP 0.90 in 32-bit (Forced OpenGL), I use this mod mainly for the retractable RCS thrusters and they work fine in 0.90 :D

Confirmed with 64-bit linux (OpenGL, for the record), RCS thrusters, critter-crawler, retractable engine, jet engine... work.

its only one file that needs to be added to the distribution (BahaSp root folder) the code is really simple too, i don't know if baha has reasons not to do it but if you want the file i made here it is, i originally only wrote in the two large retractable engines but since you requested it i added in the rest of the retractable types.

i was going to subit a github request but there wasnt a specific entry for this mod package just a bunch of listing for some of the parts

Link doesn't work...any chance you can send the file to me? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Confirmed with 64-bit linux (OpenGL, for the record), RCS thrusters, critter-crawler, retractable engine, jet engine... work.

While i can get this mod to "work" do the animations work? I cant get retractable anything to animated to the out position.

• 2 weeks later...
While i can get this mod to "work" do the animations work? I cant get retractable anything to animated to the out position.

Me neither. Hoping for an update as well. They at least function tho (using the retracting RCS blocks in my Mk1-2 capsule)

Success!

If you just add these Dynamic parts to the parts folder from Baha's adjustable landing gear everything works perfectly. I assume whatever changes he made to his plugins for the landing gear works with this parts pack as well.

All the motors extend and retract properly, apply thrust, and have their effects. Retractable RCS blocks work as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.