Show Science data when in Sandbox mode

When I say "science data", I'm referring to the text that shows in the GUI when you do a science experiment. For example, doing a Crew Report in the KSC shows something like "This is our space center here". However, if you're in the Sandbox mode, it only shows something like "You would learn a lot more if the R&D was open." For sandbox mode, it shows this same (or similar) message. For every experiment, for every situation.

I, personally, like to read the messages, even if I can't transmit the data or get science points. So do you guys think it would be good to just show the data, but still have no science value for doing it?

No, science data should not be available in sandbox mode. Science is the key things that divides career mode from Sandbox. If science were available in Sandbox, many players would just bypass career mode and simply get the science data from Sandbox mode.

Of course, this may become a non-issue in 0.24 with the addition of budgets.

Also, if science data continues to be unavailable in Sandbox, I would be in favor of fully disabling the experiment functions of science parts in Sandbox mode instead of giving me an annoying message when I try to do an experiment.

Considering that I went and hacked a career save so I had all the tech already unlocked but could still go around collecting science as I pleased, yes, I reckon this would be a good idea.

If sandbox stays as it is, then sure. The flavour texts can be amusing, and it might be nice to find out how much science a particular experiment is worth. Call it an incentive to try career mode out.

If sandbox ends up as a "simulator" inside career mode, then probably not. NASA probably couldn't find out much about Mars by running Curiosity around the Mojave desert, and they probably won't find out much about asteroids by redirecting them in KSP.

I'd love this. IMO sandbox should include everything in career, but without the limitations of advancement (budget, tech unlocks and the like). Essentially sandbox is career with everything unlocked, but you should still be able to run experiments and see how much craft cost.

I personally feel there shouldn't be any messages in Sandbox mode. As of right now that is one of the main reasons to even play Career mode at all, its for the funny messages. Maybe in the future when Career is more fleshed out, THEN we could consider getting the Science messages.

Look at it this way there is really only 1 difference between a fully unlocked career mode and sandbox, its those messages. If you get all the messages in sandbox anyways, whats the point of career? There isn't one, at least for now. Which is why getting science messages can wait, or stay a career only thing.

As i have said in the past, KSP is moving foward as a Career Focused game. Every update since its implementation has been dedicated with career in mind. Giving more love to sandbox only weakens the focus of Career. Sandbox is nice when you need to test how nodes and building rockets work, but that game play is more or less set. Now it is more about extra features that are needed to make Kerbal Space Program a whole game, not just a space simulator. Having a "Scientific" story is very much a part of that.

Look at it this way there is really only 1 difference between a fully unlocked career mode and sandbox, its those messages. If you get all the messages in sandbox anyways, whats the point of career?
IIRC career at the moment was meant as much as anything else to help players get into the game. Certainly when I started out I found the full parts list daunting, the limited selection in career makes things simpler.

I'd also like to see sandbox with all the features of unlocked career. It all depends on your style of play, but I've played enough that the limited parts available in career is dull. I played it once, got to where I could do most missions, and then its just drudgery to collect enough science to get more parts to build interesting rockets.

Yes, I also think sandbox should be "hacked career". Unlimited money, maximum reputation, all tech available, but no science done and all contracts available. You don't have to use them but they are there if you feel like doing science or flying contracts.

No access to tech tree (or access to completely uncovered one) but also access to science archives.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.