Devnote Tuesdays: The Info-Packed Edition

SQUAD

<p><strong id="docs-internal-guid-dc9fc608-881d-378d-d4fe-f9807144e25d"><span>Felipe (HarvesteR)</span><span>: </span></strong>Another week working on Contracts, but we have an end in sight now. Rather than just fill you in on the items from my to-do list though, I’ve written an article about where we are in development. You can check it out <a href="http://bit.ly/1l6jBKo"><strong>HERE</strong></a>.</p>

<p><span><strong>Alex (aLeXmOrA):</strong> </span><span>It’s been a busy week of hard work. I finished the implementation of the marketing project I’ve been working with Miguel and Bob and, hopefully, it will be launched this week. Just messing with the last configuration settings, but it is ready to go live. Also, I’ve been dealing with some billing issues from our hosting (yeah, still on that). I think I’m going to scream at them at some point if those issues don’t get fixed asap. For now, I started working on the implementation of the new sounds of some Parts of the game. </span></p>

<p><strong>Mike (Mu):</strong><span> Yet more work plowed into contracts and user interface this week. We’ve changed how contracts are generated, making them easier for modders to create but also giving them more power and functionality.</span></p>

<p><strong>Daniel (danRosas)</strong><span><strong>:</strong> Interesting week so far. The polishing of the animation is nearly done, and we’ve just started rendering tests. We managed to get from 30min per frame to 7, which is great. About the rope rig, it wasn’t a joint driven rig after all, and no dynamics, since we don’t have the power to do those calculations. It turned out good with a combination of deformers and clusters to a single motion driven curve (or several, if we count that each shot is animated separately). *Hopefully by the end of the week we can start thinking of post-production and vfx.</span></p>

<p><strong>Jim (Romfarer)</strong><span><strong>:</strong> Working on the physics for a small, goofy surprise we will announce soon.</span></p>

<p><strong id="docs-internal-guid-dc9fc608-881d-8123-e790-84548db0647d"><span>Miguel (Maxmaps): </span></strong>Wrapped up work on the design of the upcoming little surprise. Hoping you guys will have fun with this lighthearted addition. Also making sure that all of our awesome content creators get a big dose of Squad love soon.</p>

<p><strong id="docs-internal-guid-dc9fc608-881e-4727-1038-828a59c0cff7"><span>Bob (Calisker): </span></strong>I’m writing this while on my flight en route to Los Angeles for E3. While we don’t have any big, exciting news to share at the conference (sorry!), I am meeting with several folks about <em>KSP</em> at the show. One thing I am excited to share is that Nassault, one of the best <em>KSP</em> videographers has joined the team on an intern basis. He’ll be delivering some epic gameplay trailers and working with our animators. We are also in the process of rolling out an affiliate program for our video partners on YouTube and Twitch.TV. We think this will be an exciting way to support those creating content on KSP and help us introduce new players to the game. We’ll be sending out more information about this as we get everything lined up very soon.</p>

<p><strong>Ted (Ted): </strong><span>This past week I’ve been continuing with the increased QA documentation, keeping up with the many changes to 0.24 that the developers are working on and fighting a grim case of man flu. Oh, I’m also writing a Dev Blog on what has gone into 0.24 and 0.23.5 from a QA perspective, should hopefully provide some good insight.</span><span> </span></p>

<p><span><strong>Anthony (Rowsdower):</strong> I’ve been responding to, reviewing and analyzing some of the hotter community topics that have popped up over the last few days. I’ve also been bugging the crap out of some members of the team regarding them. I hope that what you see in these devnotes and especially in Felipe’s article can give you a better indication of where things are headed and why. Please just remember to keep things respectful and constructive when those topics come up. I know you’re passionate about many issues that surround the game, but it’s imperative to remember that everyone from Squad to each member of our community teams is working hard to keep you happy and informed. Speaking of which, I’m also pleased that I’ll be able to talk about what <a href="http://i.imgur.com/kDOluZS.jpg"><strong>THIS</strong></a> is very soon.<br/></span></p>

<p><strong id="docs-internal-guid-dc9fc608-8826-9a51-47ba-eb129e23d17d"><span>Eduardo (Lalo): </span></strong><span>Reviewing the progress for the next update, according with Dan and Felipe the following tasks, im very happy because we are doing great things for the next release, stay tuned. </span></p>

<p><span><strong>Rogelio (Roger):</strong> This week I’ve been cleaning the scene (reducing the polycount, modifying lights and optimizing textures) because the first render tests were taking too much time, so we reduced the render time from 30 minutes per frame to 7-8 minutes and it still looks very well!. I’ve also been doing some stuff for the upcoming project. </span></p>

<p><strong>Hugo (The Intern): </strong><span>This has been a fun week. Lots of things going on. I mainly worked on continuing the work on some parts within the game and started the process of selecting and planning visual improvements on some of the existing pieces. Also there have been a lot of challenging and exciting moments trying to get the little surprise to work. I’m confident that it will bring many new fun opportunities for the users to create inside the game. </span></p>

Lot of good info. Thank you. Looking forward to 0.24. I especially like Felipe's in-depth blog.

I do need to make one thing very very clear: Reaching Scope Completion does not mean' date=' by any means, that we’re done with the game,, or even that the features we have are now finished and beyond improvement. Quite the opposite in fact. It means there are (or will be, as we’re not quite there yet) no more base systems left to do, and from there on, the focus shifts to improvements, optimization, and content[/quote']Will Scope Completion mean entering Beta?
Edited by Apollo13

Wow, that was... so cool! That's what it was like in the 'old days' that I've been reading about? I had a post I was going to make in the space lounge but now anything I say seems anti-climactic.

hey squad

Thank you so much guys. I (and I'm pretty sure, I'm not alone) very much appreciate this kind and amount of information from time to time. You don't mind waiting as much, if you know, that what you're waiting for is gonna be good.

I think and HOPE that this devnotes will make more people of the community happy than impatiant, but you guys already know: The impatient ones cry out louder. ;)

Already looking forward for the next devnotes, cause this ones were a pleasure to read.

P.S.: thx Rowsy for kickin sm butts ;D

What 0.24 seems to be adding:

-Contracts

-Budgets

-A surprise

-A few model/texture redos for older parts

-Refined User Interface

Sounds exciting. The contracts seem to be handled much better than the mods who've tried implementing missions.

A while ago there was some in the devnotes (from Mu I think) about surface interactions (i.e. wheels and engines kicking up dust near the ground while driving/landing etc) and shader changes for planets (maybe/hopefully for replacing the tiled ocean surface with a shader based surface?).

With the delay to 0.24 since then, will either of these features sneak in, or has there been any progress for these?

Well, since you guys are focusing on "areas of least development", how about giving aerodynamics a pass for 0.25? :) Aerodynamics model (enough with the soupy atmosphere!), reentry, parachute physics... aerodynamics hardly changed since I first got into KSP.

Very excited that you guys brought Nassault onto the team. I watched several of his videos and he has a lot of talent and if he is able to bring even a little of that same passion and vision that he so eloquently expresses in his short films, then I will be very glad.

What 0.24 seems to be adding:

-Contracts

-Budgets

-A surprise

-A few model/texture redos for older parts

-Refined User Interface

Sounds exciting. The contracts seem to be handled much better than the mods who've tried implementing missions.

retexturing sounds good, to be frank, the mainsail looks like trash compared to the newer stuff, a weird rigid steel bell and orange painted combustionchamber, it is a bit out of place alongside even the skipper

with this huge thing out of the way i'd like to see the smaller stuff getting worked on :P

aerodynamics, water, weather, more science systems?

i had an idea a while back to have science systems that incentivise the use of rovers or planes and exploration, possibly meaning simply more biomes or perhaps scavenging for things over the surface, anomalous terrain scatter or watnot

either way, budgets is a real game changer here :P

<p><strong id="docs-internal-guid-dc9fc608-881e-4727-1038-828a59c0cff7"><span>Bob (Calisker): </span></strong>I’m writing this while on my flight en route to Los Angeles for E3. While we don’t have any big, exciting news to share at the conference (sorry!), I am meeting with several folks about <em>KSP</em> at the show. One thing I am excited to share is that Nassault, one of the best <em>KSP</em> videographers has joined the team on an intern basis. He’ll be delivering some epic gameplay trailers and working with our animators. We are also in the process of rolling out an affiliate program for our video partners on YouTube and Twitch.TV. We think this will be an exciting way to support those creating content on KSP and help us introduce new players to the game. We’ll be sending out more information about this as we get everything lined up very soon.</p>

I haven't been paying attention here, so if there's some clarification somewhere...? Because the YouTube Affiliate program is the exact opposite of "support[ing] those creating content." It is taking a share of those content producers' meager profits in exchange for the privilege of continuing to produce that content.

I'm not one of those content producers, but that can only cause a reduction in content. (Hello Nintendo.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.