Would you like other solar systems?

Me, because why stick to the normal solar system when you can GO TO ANOTHER SUN and get captured by a planet with hundreds of moons continually causing GRAVITY ASSISTS?

Edited by ThatNoob

Absolutely ... ! However, it seems there are technical problems; the game recognizes the Sun (Kerbol) as the sole source of light and gravity, so putting another star at 100 billion km from the Sun doesn't make really sense right now as that other star wouldn't emit light and solar panels would be useless. But ... I might be wrong.

As a possible future extension to the core game maybe - as a "no return" mission.

Would go well with resources (from mods or otherwise) and non-KSC launch pads, basically building up a new VAB as well as gathering the resources needed to do, well, anything at all.

I think this state of developement is too early to add another star system. I think before that the following should be added: Powered time warp, solar sails or another mean of efficient but realistic propulsion (well, ion is ok, but that needs at least bigger tanks), higher time warp. While I would put nothing of these on the development list for the next release, I would indeed like to see that in say five years. And then I would also like some other star systems.

For now? A definite NO!

For the future (beyond KSP 1.0)? Maybe.

There is an incredible amount of work that can and has to be done inside the Kerbol system to improve the game. Adding an entirely new solar system at the current state of development would be a waste of time and resources as it is nearly impossible to reach and doesn't significantly add to the game. It is much easier, cheaper and efficient to improve and expand the current solar system.

I'm not convinced it's necessary. Take a look at NASA's Eyes on The Solar System, and you'll get an idea of just how many things there are in one solar system alone.

Well this already this topic already came up often as a discussion. However there are important question to solve when you are going to introduce other solar systems. One of them is how you going to travel to them? Stock game does not have any tech that could allow such a travel in reasonable time. You would have to add some sort of FTL travel which would set the game in an fictional setting.

However i think adding some sort of FTL with other solar systems could add fun to the game.

No, but I'd like this one to be enriched.

Agreed. I'd prefer to have more planets and moons instead of a new solar system.

I really love this addition. Sadly had to uninstall it again, because Planet Factory still has some problems, but that's how I imagine the system should be extended like before we start thinking about interstellar travel.

Edited by Hurry, Starfish!

I want to have extra-Kerbolar systems once the game is scope-complete lest necessarily-uninformed early decisions about the distance etc. should impair development of such more-important features as contracts and budgets.

-Duxwing

Yes to fusion, antimatter, wormholes

squad is trying to keep the game somewhat realistic though

Do you have plans to add more solar systems, or even randomly generated solar systems?

Falange: That’s something we get a lot, and it’s actually something that I’m not very particularly [interested] about implementing. It’s not that can’tâ€â€we could, theoretically. But I think that KSP being a game where you can build your own spacecraft, play the game in your own way, and have essentially a completely different experience from everyone else… the only thing tying these experiences together is that the universe is the same. So if we were to add procedurally generated planets outside the current solar system, you would end up with places and destinations that don’t exist for anyone else. And then it would fail in terms of you being able to relate to someone else’s experience. You wouldn’t be able to say, “Hey guys, I landed on Duna, this was really cool!†And everyone knows what Duna is and what it stands for. Instead, you’d get, “Hey guys, I found this planet, it looks kinda like this.†And people would be like, “Oh... I’ve got completely different planets on mine.â€Â

Holtzman: The game is science fiction, but one of the things that Felipe has really driven is that he wants the science to come first and the fiction to come second. So when you start talking about multiple solar systems, you get further into the realm of fiction.

Falange: Right, because you’re talking about interstellar distances, which means time-warp isn't enough anymore, no matter how fast you’re going. Now you need some sort of warp drive, and that falls into the realm of sci-fi. And that then requires us to break the laws of physics, which would in fact make everything much trickier.

source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/12/23/kerbal-space-program-dev-on-random-solar-systems-the-joy-of-failure-and-the-cult-of-steam/

Wow. I'm surprised nobody brought it up before, but this is on the WNTS list: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/36863-What-not-to-suggest

do we report the post? cuz

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

how do we just say "hey admin, tell OP to check the WNTS list"

Yup, reporting is the way to go. I should really change that message though, perhaps I'll do that now. In the mean time, thread closed because this topic is on the what-not-to-suggest list :)