[1.1.2] Kerbin-Side (v1.1.0) & Supplements

AlphaAsh

v0.31 is released!

welcometo.jpg

Upgrading from 0.30 to 0.31?

Delete previous version of KerbinSide.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.kashcorp.co.uk/KerbinSide031.zip

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Drop the contents of GameData in the zip in to your KSP GameData folder.

Version 0.31 features and fixes:

- Jeb's Island Retreat now has an airport. And a city. Launch using the KerbTown icon in the VAB or SPH, selecting Krystal City Airport.

A note on physics performance.

The development methods used for KerbinSide were changed to try and deal with unexpected problems with KSP's physics management when warping a vessel travelling at 750ms+. The general consensus from other modders was that when too many individual game objects exist, a large number of position checks take place (as the KSP system is moved round the vessel) that result in physics lag. To rectify this it would be necessary to merge the separate game objects in Unity into a single game object, therefore reducing the number of position checks to 1.

After finishing up the latest update to KerbinSide, I tested KSP's 'physics handling' pretty intensively and have come to the conclusion that merging the individual objects into a single game object has made no bloody difference what-so-ever.

So, I'll add this to the OP and leave it to players to decide whether they can live with hideous physics lag when warping vessels at speeds of 750+ ms. There's nothing more I can do about it.

How did people come to the conclusion, that it is physics position checks that cause the lag? I mean, there must have been some kind of smoking gun?

EDIT: Also - i'm not familiar with how this is handled in unity - but how are collision checks handled in general? I.e., if the merged objects still contain the same amount of collision boxes, then nothing is gained - and if it doesn't even use collision-boxes as a pre-filter, then matters are even worse.

Basically, to do collision checks efficiently in such a case, there would need to be multiple levels of collision boxes: First you check large areas, then gradually smaller ones - powers of two, you know the drill. Question is: Is Unity/KSP even capable of this?

EDIT2: If unity only allows one level of collision boxes, the both extremes attempted thus far would be inefficient: If you put a collision box around every individual thing, there will be too many boxes. But if you put too many things into a single box, then exact geometry collision checks must happen for too many things (which might actually end up even slower).

Edited by rynak

Heya rynak. It's to do with the position of objects in the sphere of influence in relation to a vessel at time-warp. Throw a rocket into orbit and then use time-warp. You'll understand the problem then. Chug chug chug.

I suppose there is no way to unload assets at higher altitudes? I can easily understand the physics load that this causes; in fact, when I was playing I found I was in extreme lag during warp. It clicked to me just right now that it's Kerbin-Side. It's sad to say I must delete this mod. :L

I suppose the only other way if you can't unload assets from physics is to make them parts and make some sort of mod to spawn them into a save. You would have to make sure the parts are practically indestructible, and then anchor it. The 2.5 KM won't give you much space to see the runway, but it would be better than this terrible lag (unless you use lazor mod, which increases loading distance).

So here's how future releases will work.

- I'll be releasing a single base/location at a time (or an update to a single base/location). AND/OR

- I'll release a single asset/building if it is used in multiple locations.

- Each release will contain: models, textures, KerbTown configs.

- These will be installed in the usual manner but each release will share the same folder, so that textures are shared across all releases. This keeps the memory footprint down (but won't improve the physics lag problem). This will mean uninstalling individual bases/locations/assets/buildings will be fiddly however. I'll have to document what .mus and .cfgs are in each release.

This will also mean that any previous install of KerbinSide must be removed prior to picking the stuff you want and installing it, since the previous mass-releases will be broken up into separate releases. Otherwise, mayhem on Planet Kerbin.

No idea how to distribute through Kerbal Stuff yet. They may see individual releases as spam. Hoping they make it possible to have multiple files per project soon.

God, been a bit since I posted on the Forums, but came here to make a suggestion.

One thing I noticed after playing X-plane 10 recently, is the wonderful sight you get to see at night. Something that actually has made KSP feel empty.

Even with Lacks KSC++ it doesn't feel the way it should. I mean, it is an improvement, but still...

KSP + Lacks KSC++

QoajANx.png

X-Plane 10

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&record=244432&id=20770&full=1

Would it be possible to inculde lights like these in a future update? If possible, sooner would be nice :) . I don't see any difficulties in creating small little colored lights, so I would assume these could get whipped up pretty soon. With the ambient light mod, these would indeed be very helpful... and cool :cool:

2yx2EIz.png

Also, erm, where exactly do I download stuff? I'm not seeing any download links anywhere, and clicking on the images does nothing..

Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

Why is KerbTown not included in any of the downloads? I'm confused as the installation instructions don't mention KerbTown and I don't know where to get an up-to-date version of KerbTown.

Working on it. The OP will be updated shortly.

hope you get us a complet link vers 31 version and not only single links at futur for any base.

KerbinSide has to be split up. It puts responsibility for managing physics lag with the players since I can't do anything about it other than to split it up. Or stop making it.

EDIT - If I release a complete pack, I'll probably end up spending more time repeating myself about the physics kludge stuff than making the mod. Sorry chap.

Edited by AlphaAsh

AlphaAsh said :

I can certainly look at adding some more tracking stations before I add RemoteTech 2 functions.

You can send mp to medievalnerd or nathan to use their .cfg about remotetech2 in their mod Milestonerealistic tree. It define the number of tracking station with lattitude/longitude coordinate