[1.1.2] Kerbin-Side (v1.1.0) & Supplements

AlphaAsh

1 hour ago, Jiraiyah said:

hmm @Galileo sir what would happen if we add this mod on top of your planets pack?

I have no idea.  Seeing as this isn't updated I don't even know if it would work.  I assume that it wouldn't act any different than normal though

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I have no idea.  Seeing as this isn't updated I don't even know if it would work.  I assume that it wouldn't act any different than normal though

so when it's upadted, would it simply add the buildings around ksc?

A modest proposal.

In another thread, I was looking at the locations of KerbinSide things, dumping them to a kml file I could use with Kerbal Earth, and the locations of some ocean-side things don't makes sense for people actually using boats.

Take Hanbert Cape and South Point, for example

ZOOLNfO_056MoIfZjzRR-y3LMywrlOxOgaX6mZL3

iWENSJ7Fm7BHobSR0KKoQchCgroR7CYPPNj5cAeB

The red pins are locations people that are attempting a naval circumnavigation often adjust course. It would be amazing if those locations corresponded with there the KerbinSide statics were. That way a ship could refuel if it needed.

I know the mod is fallow for now, but I'm sure it will make it back. There's far too much work invested to just leave it...and it's too cool.

So when it returns, I humbly suggest Hanbert Cape and South Point be moved. I'm open to the argument that the current locations make naval sense, but right now (having been in the water by these sites) I found their distance frustrating.

2 hours ago, Kevin Vandy said:

Now that Kerbal Konstructs is updated, does that mean that this will work now? Or does this mod still have to be updated?

Hi as the packs here consist of purely models there should be no issue using them with the latest  incarnation of Kerbal Konstructs.  From a performance point of view some of the models could do with a tweak here and there but it's unlikely that many users would even notice the difference  :)

edit

In fact ill create a new install and throw the lot in, and report back , after all whats one more build of KSP when i already have ten :P

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

On 11/7/2016 at 2:51 PM, seanth said:

The red pins are locations people that are attempting a naval circumnavigation often adjust course. It would be amazing if those locations corresponded with there the KerbinSide statics were. That way a ship could refuel if it needed.

I know the mod is fallow for now, but I'm sure it will make it back. There's far too much work invested to just leave it...and it's too cool.

So when it returns, I humbly suggest Hanbert Cape and South Point be moved. I'm open to the argument that the current locations make naval sense, but right now (having been in the water by these sites) I found their distance frustrating.

I have a better idea....

Kerbal Konstructs isn't just a dll you need to have Kerbinside.  Kerbal Konstructs is in fact a base editor.  You can use its library of parts to build your own bases wherever you want.  I suggest you do this instead of moving bases that others might not want moved.

25 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

I have a better idea....

Kerbal Konstructs isn't just a dll you need to have Kerbinside.  Kerbal Konstructs is in fact a base editor.  You can use its library of parts to build your own bases wherever you want.  I suggest you do this instead of moving bases that others might not want moved.

Sure. I'm just suggesting that the initial placement of those locations probably wasn't done by someone actually using boats.

48 minutes ago, seanth said:

Sure. I'm just suggesting that the initial placement of those locations probably wasn't done by someone actually using boats.

Agreed, as a big user and builder of ships, I'd say there are far too few places that accommodate ships or boats,  as having just placed a dozen more water launch buoys around Kerbin i can say there are definitely some good places for harbor and fueling facilities .

4 hours ago, Kevin Vandy said:

does that mean that this will work now?

Yes it does work,  as far as i can tell, so far everything checks out, launched from a load of different sites,  some of the spawn points seem a bit kooky(technical term)  so before committing a new build to an un visited launch site, send a probe, check out where you'll land, as i say some of them may be not quite be in the position  you expect or remember, of course this all swings on how accurate my memory of them is :).    SO yeah it works in 1.2.1 using the latest release of Kerbal Konstructs

And some pictorial evidence

Spoiler

Kerbinside in KSP 1.2.1

zRBYm75.png

QbsXACf.png

4PFJlDE.png

8hKWFps.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

54 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Yes it does work,  as far as i can tell, so far everything checks out, launched from a load of different sites,  some of the spawn points seem a bit kooky(technical term)  so before committing a new build to an un visited launch site, send a probe, check out where you'll land, as i say some of them may be not quite be in the position  you expect or remember, of course this all swings on how accurate my memory of them is :).    SO yeah it works in 1.2.1 using the latest release of Kerbal Konstructs

I can confirm as well. I'm using it in my naval exploration role play/challenge.

1 hour ago, seanth said:

Sure, Kerbinside dates from before boats were really a thing.

I'm just saying, I would prefer NOT to move existing bases.  I myself, and I'm sure many others, have become dependent on the various Kerbinside bases being where they've always been.  Storylines and such.

Therefore, I suggest instead you build your own base and upload it as its own thing separate from Kerbinside, such as those listed on the Kerbal Konstructs page.  That way, folks who want a base there but are too lazy to build their own with the tools provided can use yours, but those who either don't want a base there or have already built their own aren't stuck with yours being included in Kerbinside right where they've already got something.

This is my position as a whole.  Rather than add to or rearrange Kerbinside, I'd really prefer it to be its own constant thing.  As you say, Kerbinside is rather short on seaports.  Take this as an opportunity to make your own.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12.11.2016 at 3:32 AM, Geschosskopf said:

I'm just saying, I would prefer NOT to move existing bases.

You want KerbinSide to stay in current state till it'll become incompatible with current KSP/KK/whatever? Like KerbinCity (nothke left KSP modding - mod got stuck because of licence)? As far as I can see from licence - it's already going this way - modifications need permit from AlphaAsh. So if he decide to quit KSP modding - the mod will stuck. I'd prefer this to continue polishing, upgrading, even if that means some changes to what I get used to. For example about mentioned KerbinCity - I'd rather see it alive in different place and/or with other content than have it stuck and incompatible without way to legally revive. That's just my opinion, however, no one should agree or disagree with it...
The situation itself - for modify existing KerbinSide for public use and distribute your modifications - permission from AlphaAsh is required. So without it - only new base in new place and made from assets not from KerbinSide. Correct me if I'm wrong.

23 hours ago, Warro said:

You want KerbinSide to stay in current state till it'll become incompatible with current KSP/KK/whatever?

No, you totally misunderstood me.  Yes, I would like it to be updated.  No, I don't want existing bases moved, and I'd prefer none get added.  If you want a new base somewhere, make  your own.  It's pretty simple to do with Kerbal Konstructs, which you already have or you can't use Kerbinside anyway.

17 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

No, you totally misunderstood me.

Yes, sure....

17 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

.... Yes, I would like it to be updated.  No, I don't want existing bases moved, and I'd prefer none get added. 

Don't you think that one contradicts the other? How that should be updated if nothing is added or removed? I'd prefer bases from ANY mod to be as logical, as possible, no harbours in deserts, etc., so if base will be moved to more suitable place - why not? If you want your RP save to be consistent - you may just ignore update. But without author or someone with permission from author to modify KerbinSide - public changes to KerbinSide violates the licence now. Maybe MM patches are possible, maybe someone with more knowledge of licence issues can add or correct something.

21 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

If you want a new base somewhere, make  your own.  It's pretty simple to do with Kerbal Konstructs, which you already have or you can't use Kerbinside anyway.

First - it's not so simple for average player to build something that looks like base, not just stack of assets, or else there should be much more static mods. Second - the Kerbin is big, of course, but possibility of mods from different authors to interfere is more, than zero.... For example, I'm dissapointed that railroad from Lack's KSC+++ crosses road from KerbinSide Campus - it looks weird. I'd prefer to have something like CRP for bases so you can add any pack of bases and know, that nothing will interfere or doubled some way.

38 minutes ago, Warro said:

Don't you think that one contradicts the other? How that should be updated if nothing is added or removed?

Just make it compatible with the latest KSP build and make sure all the features work as intended.  No contradiction in that.

38 minutes ago, Warro said:

First - it's not so simple for average player to build something that looks like base,

That's where you're wrong.  It's incredibly easy.  If you've got Kerbinside, then you've got a whole library of statics to use.  Just use the editor in Kerbal Konstructs to drag and drop what you want.

5 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

That's where you're wrong.  It's incredibly easy.  If you've got Kerbinside, then you've got a whole library of statics to use.  Just use the editor in Kerbal Konstructs to drag and drop what you want.

Just to have paper and paints doesn' mean you are able to draw good picture - that is what I mean, not that it's hard to add something via editor.

3 minutes ago, Warro said:

Just to have paper and paints doesn' mean you are able to draw good picture - that is what I mean, not that it's hard to add something via editor.

LOL!  C'mon, man!  The baseline beginner KSP player, let alone the "average" player with a modicum of experience, has to be able to select pre-made parts from a menu and arrange them for both functionality and aesthetics to make rockets and whatever else he wants to.  That's what the game is all about.  Building a base with Kerbal Konstructs is exactly the same thing so is well within the reach of the "average" KSP player.  All you need is a set of pre-made parts, such as Kerbinside.

1 minute ago, Geschosskopf said:

LOL!  C'mon, man!

Yeah, it's simple, all the game is about it. It's not rocket science... Oh, wait, it IS rocket science :)
If it's so simple - where are dozens of beautiful and functional bases from many authors? Have you seen them? I haven't. I do not count the couple from experienced modders - they contain their own set of static assets mostly.