[1.1.2] Kerbin-Side (v1.1.0) & Supplements

AlphaAsh

I've wondered why more people haven't used the editor myself.

Perhaps a popular YouTuber or Twitcher could do a solid and do a tutorial. The editor is a bit finicky but it's perfectly usable.

Edited by colmo

If KK latest version is installed,will this work in 1.2.2?

These mods are great, specially along contract configurator and all those missions I get all around Kerbin. KSP stock is good. But KSP modded is GREAT! Thanks for this.

Edited by Agustin

23 minutes ago, Agustin said:

If KK latest version is installed,will this work in 1.2.2?

These mods are great, specially along contract configurator and all those missions I get all around Kerbin. KSP stock is good. But KSP modded is GREAT! Thanks for this.

Yes, KerbinSide work with new KK.

Any idea why this murders game performance? I've tried it before (in 1.0 IIRC), and it killed performance then too. Recently upgraded my GPU (680->1070) so I thought to give it another spin... And I get <25FPS around the KSC.
No errors in the log, no other issues, just miserable performance with this (Kerbinside-complete) installed. I'd expect some performance hit from the extra models in scene, but this is ridiculous.
I have a few other mods installed, including SVE + Scatterer, but without Kerbinside/KerbalKonstructs I'm getting at at least 60FPS in the same situation.
GNU/Linux, latest KSP, latest KK, installed via CKAN, etc.

On 1.1.2017 at 4:05 AM, steve_v said:

Any idea why this murders game performance? I've tried it before (in 1.0 IIRC), and it killed performance then too. Recently upgraded my GPU (680->1070) so I thought to give it another spin... And I get <25FPS around the KSC.
No errors in the log, no other issues, just miserable performance with this (Kerbinside-complete) installed. I'd expect some performance hit from the extra models in scene, but this is ridiculous.
I have a few other mods installed, including SVE + Scatterer, but without Kerbinside/KerbalKonstructs I'm getting at at least 60FPS in the same situation.

I'm no expert. This is all theorycrafting.

Smells like a memoryleak.

Also, I have this huge fps drop if meshes intersect with each other. For instance, if the visual ILS glideslope from Carrier Accessories mod intersects with the runway -> results in an UBER "FPS LAG" until I move the drone with the ILS display away from it. 

Maybe there is something due to that. 

I suppose you put your terrain details option to maximum?

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 11:52 AM, Ger_space said:

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 11:10 AM, ebrhahaman said:

when will it be out for 1.2? I'm just asking because I really love this mod

This mod doesn't need to be updated, because it runs with 1.2. Just use the latest version of Kerbal Konstructs and you'll be fine.

I suspect that this person asked the updating question because the metadata for CKAN and SpaceDock each indicate that "this" mod is keyed for KSP v1.1.x, and not v1.2.x.  I admit that this confusion was one of the two primary reasons I've visited this thread just now, in fact.  Knowing that I can manually install it as long as KK is updated satisfies my concerns.

And @AlphaAsh, thank you for a wonderful mod.

On 1/1/2017 at 2:05 AM, steve_v said:

1.2.x has a higher performance hit than 1.1.3.  Kerbin-Side alone adds significant overhead due to all the assets, but if you're also using EVE, Scatterer, etc, it really amps things up, especially if you have less than 16GB of RAM or a video card with <2GB of VRAM.  One way to speed things up DRAMATICALLY is to remove Distant Object Enhancement - that mod in combination with Kerbin-Side and Scatterer seems to make things crawl.  I run a 2014 MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM and I typically get 25-35 FPS even with that hardware.  That's running 65 mods including EVE, Scatterer, KK/K-S, OPM, etc.

52 minutes ago, ebrhahaman said:

so you don't need the latest version of kerbin side just KK?

Correct.  K-S has a few quirks, but they were present prior to 1.2.x - mostly some issues with trees on the runway at a couple of launch sites.  It works just fine, though.

11 hours ago, panarchist said:

especially if you have less than 16GB of RAM or a video card with <2GB of VRAM.

32GB RAM, 8GB VRAM.

One way to speed things up DRAMATICALLY is to remove Distant Object Enhancement

Not installed.

I run a 2014 MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM and I typically get 25-35 FPS even with that hardware. That's running 65 mods including EVE, Scatterer, KK/K-S, OPM, etc.

I7-3820 @ 4.2GHz, 32GB RAM (Quad channel), Nvidia 1070 8GB, Debian GNU/Linux. 65 mods, ~60FPS. Add KK/K-S to that and I get ~25FPS.

Kerbinside = ~35FPS hit, regardless of what else is installed. This is a bigger performance hog than SVE+Scatterer.
Unacceptable performance in 1.0, unacceptable performance now. What I don't get is why, a few more models in scene shouldn't tank framerate this hard.

9 hours ago, steve_v said:

32GB RAM, 8GB VRAM.

Not installed.

I7-3820 @ 4.2GHz, 32GB RAM (Quad channel), Nvidia 1070 8GB, Debian GNU/Linux. 65 mods, ~60FPS. Add KK/K-S to that and I get ~25FPS.

Kerbinside = ~35FPS hit, regardless of what else is installed. This is a bigger performance hog than SVE+Scatterer.
Unacceptable performance in 1.0, unacceptable performance now. What I don't get is why, a few more models in scene shouldn't tank framerate this hard.

Older models use an older version of Unity, IIRC - and a lot of those assets have animation.  The only other thing I can think of is if your system has multiple video display adapters and if it's sometimes switching to the other one. (I don't know how that's handled on Win64, so that may have no bearing at all)

2 hours ago, panarchist said:

The only other thing I can think of is if your system has multiple video display adapters

Nope.

2 hours ago, panarchist said:

Win64

Eh? Why would I use that horrible platform?

On 1/8/2017 at 6:59 PM, steve_v said:

Nope.

Eh? Why would I use that horrible platform?

It's good for some games.  I run Win10-64 through BootCamp on my MBP for Train Simulator and a few other games.  I run KSP on the Mac side, not Win - doesn't seem faster on Win64.  If you're using Linux or MacOS, more power to you.  

MacOS will have the aforementioned video issues if you haven't turned off the option to use lower-powered graphics in the System Preferences.  I don't know if Linux does that.  I meant to say "multiple display adapters" in the prior post, not multiple displays.

18 minutes ago, panarchist said:

I don't know if Linux does that.  I meant to say "multiple display adapters" in the prior post, not multiple displays.

It does, but only if you actually have multiple GPUs, which I don't. And yes, GPU dynamic clocking is working as expected.

Can we have a runway at the "emergency landing strip"? Get in a plane and fly to the nearest significant landmass east of the KSC (large peninsula). There. I suck at SSTOs and it would be very atmospheric (ayyyyyyy) to have a little polar-style camp there

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2017 at 9:25 AM, Fireheart318 said:

Can we have a runway at the "emergency landing strip"? Get in a plane and fly to the nearest significant landmass east of the KSC (large peninsula). There. I suck at SSTOs and it would be very atmospheric (ayyyyyyy) to have a little polar-style camp there

There already is a polar-style camp there, just no runway.  Kerbinside Ground Control added some buildings and a couple of tracking radars.  I can't recall if there is a VTOL pad at that facility. (Brownrock)

• 2 weeks later...
On 27.11.2016 at 9:02 AM, Ger_space said:

I have the permission from AlphaAsh to modify and redistribute Kerbin-side. If someone finds a bug please report it to me.

Currently the mod runs pretty well, and I didn't change the kk cfg format, so I left the mod unchanged.

Adding new assets to Kerbin-side is a bad idea, because the license is very restricted, or you need to transfer all rights to AlphaAsh, because I don't want to deal with x licenses in one mod.

If you like to use the Kerbin-side assets for you're own bases, then down the Kerbin side statics package and use the in-game editor (ctrl+k) to place them.

If you can wait a few days, the editor is getting to be more user friendly.

@Not Sure - ask there:

First, a big thank you to the creator of this mod :)  Kerbin-side has revitalized KSP for me as for the time being I focus on planes and now I can actually fly them somewhere!!! 

Second, just to report a small issue I found. Even though most bases have fuel tanks, on sandbox most of them seem to be deactivated and they cannot be used to refuel, so I had to edit a few files (changed FacilityType = FuelTanks ) before I could use them. If I remember, it was mostly bases with "ksidetanks13.cfg" files instead of "ksidefueltanks3.cfg". Sorry if I am missing something.

Again, my thanks!

PS My Mach 2.1 VTOL beast is very hungry :sticktongue:

Edited by Kerbinstein
Fixed typo