Would it be possible to modify the default content to reduce memory usage?

I've been wrestling with running out of memory, so I've been trying to reduce the memory the mods I'm using by reducing textures etc. That's all well and good but the real gorilla in the room now is the 750mb of the Squad folder plus the extra 60 or so mb of the ARM pack. I was just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible or even ok to try to get those folders down in size a bit maybe by reducing the default textures (like they did with the low res B9 pack) or even removing some default parts I may never use so as to cut way down on all memory usage, not just what mods use. Think KSP Lite. A mod friendly version. There are definitely some Squad parts I never use and wouldn't miss.

I'm not to keen on messing with the default content tho- Just wondering if anyone knows if this has been tried or is even a sound idea to free up memory and avoid memory crashes until we all have 64bit memory support and don't have to worry about it anymore.

Edited by mcbmaestro

Not only is it possible, it's strongly suggested.

I'm even running an instance at the moment that has the ARM pack deleted, and all of the Squad parts I was able to replace with mods removed. Just delete any part you don't need; but if you really want to save space, eliminate the stock IVAs (/GameData/Squad/Spaces/), just remember to edit the parts that use them to remove the INTERNAL{} block, or delete those parts too. A part that is supposed to have an IVA but the IVA doesn't exist can cause hella crashes.

Cool thanks a lot. I didn't realize IVA's took up so much resources. Not an easy thing to part with tho, they are pretty awesome. I've decided to have my resource manager running lately to monitor how much KSP is using, to avoid hitting that 3gig crash mark. So far it seems to hover around the 2gig mark with vanilla KSP + City lights and Clouds mod. Does the game crash at 3 or below that on 32bit Unity?

Edited by mcbmaestro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.