[1.3] Smartstage, intelligent VAB reset button 2.9.7

xytovl

I really like the ascent charting for this mod, but the staging.

Is there any way for this to be used as an ascent charting only, no stage re-arrangement?

The short answer: no you can't use it for charting only

Long answer:

The mod has all the required stuff to compute the ascent simulation and plot but has nothing to read the original staging.

It can be used as a base to implement the plot-only feature but I do not plan to do it. The missing part is to decide when to activate stages.

If someone wants to contribute that feature, the mod is open source, just fork it!

• 2 weeks later...

Parachutes are supposed to be staged either when they get decoupled from the root part (usually when attached to a booster) or in a separate final stage.

Are you using stock parachutes ? And if you can share the craft file that does not work I will have a look and see if I can make any fix. The list of required mods would help too, as it may be part of the issue.

There is now support for any modded parachute. Actually anything that can be staged and is not an engine will be considered as a parachute and activated when decoupled or in the final stage.

Version 2.5.0 also improves performance on massive rockets, fixes some corner cases and improves plot UI.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
CKAN si reporting 2.3.1 is the latest version for 1.0.2 for some odd reason

I did not have KSP 1.0.2 actually, the release is updated. There is no change except for ksp version number

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, AutoAsparagus will now (optionally) call SmartStage instead of its own staging routines if they're both installed.

I just call the computeStages() method via reflection:

computeStagesMethod = SmartStage.assembly.GetTypes().SingleOrDefault(t => t.Name == "SmartStage").GetMethod("computeStages");
[...]
computeStagesMethod.Invoke (null, new object[] { });

This reduces AutoAsparagus to just placing fuel lines, but I'm okay with that :)

• 1 month later...
seems 1.0.3 broke smartstage, hope you have time to update :)

Are you using a 2.6.x version of SmartStage ? For some reason CKAN downloads an outdated version if KSP has been updated but I have not released a new version. I have just published a 2.6.2 so CKAN should be happy now

Would it be possible to add the SmartStage button during flight? So many times I go EVA or separate a launcher craft from a station, and it messes up staging for one of the craft. Being able to hit SmartStage to sort it out instead of having to manually rearrange my staging would be great!

Would it be possible to add the SmartStage button during flight? So many times I go EVA or separate a launcher craft from a station, and it messes up staging for one of the craft. Being able to hit SmartStage to sort it out instead of having to manually rearrange my staging would be great!

I will probably add this when I have time. I need to change some things: take into account engines that have already been turned on and vessel orientation at least.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure why, but for some reason SmartStage breaks with Ven's Stock Part Revamp: It works fine with it removed, but when it's installed, it failed to add the central engine in asparagus staging to the first stage, and adds it to the final stage instead. It also added the final descent stage (a pod with a heatshield and parachutes only, no engines) to the stage before it.

Here's the craftfile I used: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B57-R_pKOCX8M0dvQUJpSGFJTms/view?usp=sharing

No idea where the fault lies, but I'll share this in Ven's thread too.

EDIT: Actually. it looks like another mod might be the problem: Still getting the last descent stage firing a bunch of things it shouldn't: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B57-R_pKOCX8Z3ZjcmpoTlVkOTA/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Rohaq

I'm not sure why, but for some reason SmartStage breaks with Ven's Stock Part Revamp: It works fine with it removed, but when it's installed, it failed to add the central engine in asparagus staging to the first stage, and adds it to the final stage instead. It also added the final descent stage (a pod with a heatshield and parachutes only, no engines) to the stage before it.

Here's the craftfile I used: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B57-R_pKOCX8M0dvQUJpSGFJTms/view?usp=sharing

No idea where the fault lies, but I'll share this in Ven's thread too.

EDIT: Actually. it looks like another mod might be the problem: Still getting the last descent stage firing a bunch of things it shouldn't: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B57-R_pKOCX8Z3ZjcmpoTlVkOTA/view?usp=sharing

I have tried to install Ven's mod then load the craft, but it complains about a missing GeminiNosecone2m part. Have you used other parts as well ?

For the last stage, it could be caused by the fairing, I have not added any logic to handle them and SmartStage may fail to understand the engine can be turned on...

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.