[1.3] Smartstage, intelligent VAB reset button 2.9.7

xytovl

Would it be possible to add the SmartStage button during flight? So many times I go EVA or separate a launcher craft from a station, and it messes up staging for one of the craft. Being able to hit SmartStage to sort it out instead of having to manually rearrange my staging would be great!

Version 2.7.0 adds a button in flight too. It may not work after docking things or with elements already activated, but at least on launch pad it is safe.

@Chimer4

I had to disable the plot after KSP 1.0 because I have to update the simulation part with the new aero model.

• 1 month later...

I am not currently actively working on the mod, if anyone can find a good documentation on the new drag model, I could try to implement it and reactivate the plot.

Secondly, many values depend on the ascent profile, before the patch, acceleration limit and rocket direction were copied from MechJeb. Now those values are not that optimal, the plot would be even less accurate.

• 4 weeks later...
I am not currently actively working on the mod, if anyone can find a good documentation on the new drag model, I could try to implement it and reactivate the plot.

Secondly, many values depend on the ascent profile, before the patch, acceleration limit and rocket direction were copied from MechJeb. Now those values are not that optimal, the plot would be even less accurate.

Ignoring the in-flight stuff (I never use that), does it still work in the Editor?

• 4 weeks later...

since 1.1 got pushed back is there any chance of getting the plot to work again?  i agree, it was really the best feature of this mod... i don't asparagus stage anything, like ever lol but the chart was uber helpful for making sounding rockets and whatnot.. i know you mentioned drag models; if you could be more specific as to what you need done i can definitely try to do my part to help out.  either way, cheers for the awesome job man.

I have integrated code from KSP Trajectories, advanced mode is back ! Don't expect too much accuracy, it assumes angle of attack is always exactly 0, ignores fairings and has an outdated model for ascent profile.

There is also a change for fairing staging (normal mode too), they are decoupled one stage before being decoupled, which is usually the correct choice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 25 mars 2016 at 2:07 PM, aat said:

I made version of the 2.8.0 without the smartstage button in flight mode (since I don't use it)
if anyone wants it, here is the link
cheers

Can you publish your sources please ? If you made a configurable item, I'll certainly integrate it in the next release.

Finally, automatic staging that actually works!  One mod it would be nice if you could support, though:

They're tiny solid boosters that fire just before touchdown (think of the Soyuz capsule) but since there's nothing underneath them they get staged with the initial engines.  I'm not sure how you are handling separatrons but I suspect these could be handled in a similar fashion--they should not arm so long as there are other engines anywhere.

On 1 avril 2016 at 3:27 AM, Loren Pechtel said:

Finally, automatic staging that actually works!  One mod it would be nice if you could support, though:

They're tiny solid boosters that fire just before touchdown (think of the Soyuz capsule) but since there's nothing underneath them they get staged with the initial engines.  I'm not sure how you are handling separatrons but I suspect these could be handled in a similar fashion--they should not arm so long as there are other engines anywhere.

Sepratrons are detected based on their orientation. There is no difference between a solid booster and a retrorocket, the mod can't guess what the purpose of the engine is.

The solution would be to add some sort of UI to configure some parts or parameters but I have not found how I could do that in an user-friendly way.

9 hours ago, xytovl said:

Sepratrons are detected based on their orientation. There is no difference between a solid booster and a retrorocket, the mod can't guess what the purpose of the engine is.

The solution would be to add some sort of UI to configure some parts or parameters but I have not found how I could do that in an user-friendly way.

Oh, well, I guess you can't detect them then.  It's become a moot point for now, anyway--landing my tourist bus on Mun proved impractical, I sent up a dedicated lander to take the tourists down.  Since the main vehicle won't touch down anywhere else it doesn't matter if the Landertrons get staged.  That simply arms them, they won't fire until touchdown.

On 3/28/2016 at 8:12 PM, xytovl said:

Can you publish your sources please ? If you made a configurable item, I'll certainly integrate it in the next release.

I wanted to make a configurable item, but I don't have the time right now :/
I simply commented out the couple lines that added the in-flight button. would be nice to have a button switch for the flight mode tough, or even support for blizzy toolbar!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2016 at 3:09 PM, aat said:

I wanted to make a configurable item, but I don't have the time right now :/
I simply commented out the couple lines that added the in-flight button. would be nice to have a button switch for the flight mode tough, or even support for blizzy toolbar!

Yeah, it's just an unneccesary button for me.

Hi! Thanks for the mod update. However, I do believe that I have encountered a bug of some sort. When "smartstaging", all the stages gets messed up quite badly. I actually tried to look for a pattern on how it works, but failed eventually. Would sincerely hope that this is not caused by mod conflict, but that is a possible clause. Has anyone else found the similar bug?

On 4/26/2016 at 7:59 AM, Tokamak Utsuho said:

Hi! Thanks for the mod update. However, I do believe that I have encountered a bug of some sort. When "smartstaging", all the stages gets messed up quite badly. I actually tried to look for a pattern on how it works, but failed eventually. Would sincerely hope that this is not caused by mod conflict, but that is a possible clause. Has anyone else found the similar bug?

Works fine for me on KSP 1.1.2.  If you can provide a picture/video, the .craft file that causes problems, and your logs, that might help the author track down the problem.

Funnily enough, I did just find one case where it fails.

Engine+decoupler+parachutes works fine:

RjWvUQ2.png

However engine + parachutes (no decoupler) fails - it dumps everything into one stage:

0GrZ9Lr.png

This is such a trivial rocket that it's no problem to fix it.. but it is funny, like watching a math genius get 2+2 wrong. :)

Indeed the special logic for last stage got broken in my update for 1.1

With version 2.9.4 the behaviour for items directly attached to root node should be as it was before (ie activated in a separate stage, after all the others).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.