Trans-Keptunian for PlanetFactory CE - Outer dwarf planet pack (v0.45 - 11 Jan 2015)

Gravitasi

...A long, epic journey to distant planets...

Descriptions

This plugin adds some outer dwarf planets to the Kerbol system. There are 4 new planets and 5 new moons to explore.

These planets are very distant and quite challenging to reach; gravity assist is a must for a more efficient journey.

Expect missions that span for decades!

This is the PlanetFactory CE version of Trans-Keptunian Planet Pack. For the KopernicusTech version, please go here instead.

Preview

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Notes

From v0.4, this planet pack will use a custom build of PlanetFactory CE. The build will enable additional features which is unavailable in the original version, such as custom science multiplier and color for orbits.

You can still use the original version, but it is recommended to use the customized version. (No, there is no virus/worms/trojans/whatever there, check out the source code if you don't believe me. To be honest, I don't even know how to make one :P)

Keep in mind that the customized version doesn't fix the problems that the original has. It only adds some additional features to the mod.

P.S. For all PlanetFactory modders, feel free to use the custom build for your own planet pack. You can use it as long as you refer to me (Gravitasi) and the original author (Kragrathea).

12/31/14 Update: Forget what I have said above, there is a new, (almost) official version here.

Downloads

Trans-Keptunian Planet Pack (v0.4) [Download],

Patch to update from v0.4 to v0.45 [Download], and

The custom build of PlanetFactory CE (12/28/2014) [Download] [source] (no longer recommended)

• Requires PlanetFactory CE (by Kragrathea) [Link] (seems to work properly with KSP 0.90)

Changelog

v0.45

11 Jan 2015

- Renaming mod directory on GameData to "Trans-Keptunian".

- Changed Putto, Oorma, Arane, and Flo orbits to match the four plutoids.

(Pluto, Haumea, Makemake, and Eris, respectively)

- Adjusting orbits of all the moons; only a bit, not a significant change.

- Darkened Phoe, Nuu, and Es orbital color; they were too bright.

v0.4

28 Dec 2014

- Changed Dhar's orbital properties a little bit.

- Removing the huge ray crater on Oorma; never really liked it.

- Adding support to Distant Object Enhancement mod.

- Created a custom build of PlanetFactory CE.

- Adding orbital colors to all bodies.

- Adding proper science multiplier to all bodies.

v0.32

14 Dec 2014

- Fixed some mistake on Flo.

- Improved Rheis surface details.

v0.3

23 Nov 2014

- Updated Flo surface; impacts no longer have higher elevation on them.

- Improved Es, Phoe and Nuu surface details.

- Fixed Flo, Oorma and Putto scaled space.

v0.2

29 Jun 2014

- Optimized some of the bodies; should use less RAM now.

- Made Dhar orbit less inclined.

- Fixed Es' scaled space.

- Fixed some terrain issues on Phoe, Nuu and Es ("low flat surface").

- Tuning Es, Dhar, Phoe and Nuu surface.

v0.1

12 Jun 2014

- Initial release.

To-Dos

• Adding (stock-feel) descriptions to all bodies.
  • Adding custom science definitions.
  • Adding biomes.
  • ...suggestions are always welcome!

Credits

• Kragrathea, for making PlanetFactory (CE).
  • Developer of SpaceEngine, from which all of the planets on this pack are based.
  • DMagic, for giving me the idea about how to change the science multiplier.
  • _Augustus_, for (indirectly) reminding me to add license file to the downloads.

Licenses

Edited by Gravitasi

Those look very nice!

Thank you! :)

These would be great with a RSS Config, a few dwarf planets like Ares, Sedna, some more Moons of other planets.

I never use RSS before, so there's nothing I could really do about it in the present....

Planet with Sedna-like orbit was on the plan, but I have decided to drop it for now. There are some technical problems that, I'm afraid, will break the game. But still, it might be added in the future version.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Those are some really really interesting planets and moons! They just make you say "Those are perfectly possible to exist in real life" :P

Unfortunately I have too many mods. I think adding another 75Mbs, even with the texture reduction, will give a hard time to the game.

Those are some really really interesting planets and moons! They just make you say "Those are perfectly possible to exist in real life" :P

Unfortunately I have too many mods. I think adding another 75Mbs, even with the texture reduction, will give a hard time to the game.

Thank you...:) Aawww.... That's too bad... :P But you could have several install of KSP, and using different mods for each of them... I personally have PlanetFactory on a separate install from another mods....

Sure, go ahead! :)

These look great! Really realistic, and is think they fit the game well too :D

I'm always hesitant with planet packs, because they kill my computer, but these are only a few rocket planets (not like a gas giant) so hopefully it will be fine!

These look great! Really realistic, and is think they fit the game well too :D

I'm always hesitant with planet packs, because they kill my computer, but these are only a few rocket planets (not like a gas giant) so hopefully it will be fine!

Installed the mod and I have to say that the planets look great!

Thank you....! Hope you guys like it...:)

Putto's name is almost obscene in spanish :confused: anyway great pack!

Whoa... Seriously...? I chose the name just because it rhymes with "Pluto"... I hope I don't offend anyone...:D Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Can you gain science on these planets?

Yes, but unfortunately it's not officially supported yet. The amount of science you get is still on its default value. Perhaps I will add custom science definitions in the future.:)

If you do change its name I suggest "Puchitto" which happens to be the Japanese version of "petit", which is in turn French for "small".

Thanks for your suggestion... But I think I'll keep the name, since I found out after a Google search that "Putto" refers to something innocent.... Fortunately....:D (Putto on Wikipedia)

These planets look fantastic!

Thanks! :)

It shouldn't be called Trans-Keptunian, it should be called Trans-Pippitan, because Pippitus in the new upcoming release of JoolPlus will be the Neptune analouge.

Hmm... But don't you think the name will kind of misleading if they don't have your planet pack installed on their KSP...? (Btw, JoolPlus is yours, right?)

Here's why... The first time I started this pack, I wanted to call it something like "Trans-Joolean", or "Trans-Sentarian".... But, with possible official addition of gas giant planets, and a lot of custom planet packs out there, there is no way for me to tell what is the outermost gas giant planet they have (or will have) on their KSP....

So, to keep the name future-compatible, I decided to use kerbalized version of Trans-Neptunian instead.... I knew kerbalized words is somewhat becoming a cliché now, but I have no choice....:D

Thanks! :)

Edited by Gravitasi

Thank god for spaceengine textures right?

Lol, yes, indeed! :D To be honest, I even left some of them unmodified.... I have tried to change the textures a little bit, but I felt that I only make it worse....:P Some of them looks great already... :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I put this system around Corbo, the red star in the Star System v0.2. I edited the orbiting distances so the star would be closer.

This system is perfect for this, it looks great!

I just landed on Arane. Nice job with that planet! I went for the big flat crater.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/Larry_M/screenshot21.png

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/Larry_M/screenshot27.png

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/Larry_M/screenshot31.png

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/Larry_M/screenshot33.png

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/Larry_M/screenshot35.png

Edited by Larrt_M

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Any plans for updating this to be compatible with Kopernikus once it's done, or is development on hold? I really love this mod and would hate to lose it....
Any chance of someone picking this up? I really loved this mod and I can't stand to see it fade away along with PF CE....

Sorry for the late reply... I've been very busy for months now. :( I even haven't tried the latest version of KSP yet...

Hmm... So PF:CE is no longer compatible with the latest version? Okay, I'll make this mod compatible with Kopernikus after it's fully developed (and after I finally have some spare time).

I put this system around Corbo, the red star in the Star System v0.2. I edited the orbiting distances so the star would be closer.

This system is perfect for this, it looks great!

I just landed on Arane. Nice job with that planet! I went for the big flat crater.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/Larry_M/screenshot21.png

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/Larry_M/screenshot27.png

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/Larry_M/screenshot31.png

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/Larry_M/screenshot33.png

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/Larry_M/screenshot35.png

Nice! Arane looks blend well with the red dwarf on the background... :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.