The Official Kerbin Cup Tournament Thread - Final Entries Posted

Rowsdower

Anyways if any of you want to try this challenge "ULTRA-mini" scale I'm posting a challenge. I'll quote your rule WhackJob and if you could somehow endorse it that might help get more players.

You'd have to come up with and post the challenge, first! If it looks good, I'll endorse. Not really my thing, the smaller builds, but ramp up the difficulty and I might!

You'd have to come up with and post the challenge, first! If it looks good, I'll endorse. Not really my thing, the smaller builds, but ramp up the difficulty and I might!

I posted it HERE.

It isn't SSTO worthy and you still have to assemble it meaning you'll need to build some form of orbital boost to get it to space. AND use claws to refuel to go anywhere. Probably multiple to land on the moon. It's tough. Try it! And everyone else too if you think you're kerbal enough.

Famous-characters-Troll-face-Challenge-accepted-315100.png

I'd consider "yesterday" as a successful day. Night all :).

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I voted team one. Looked like Xactars team, had a great story, was funny, loved it.

Team 2 just assembled it in orbit, and I tip my hat to them, but there was supposed to be a story :P

Team 3 was OK, but it wasn't as funny and brilliant as Xac- Err, team one.

Voted for Team 1. They didn't whine about the game, and they actually launched the complete thing from Kerbin. Which, while not explicitly required, just feels to me like being in the spirit of the challenge.

Also, why did two Reddit teams bow out? I skimmed like 5-6 pages here but found no real talk about it. Maybe it was only talked about on Reddit?

Reddit team Shock Diamond had not enough time to do this. We all had stuff to do in real life, like exams etc.. But I managed it yesterday to assemble and lauch it into orbit. Sadly, one day too late. Anyways, I will upload a video of it, just for fun. No cheats used, only one KAS mod part(a winch), and gigantic cranes were used. Looks really silly.

The design from Team 1 is really intelligent and much simpler than mine. Why couldn't I think of something like this? Probably just not enough time and concentration for this challenge. They got my vote.

I think most of the contestants are pretty sick of the "build the rocket strewn about on KSC's lawn" challenge for the moment :P It's a good idea though! You should post it elsewhere for more attention.

I think most of the contestants are pretty sick of the "build the rocket strewn about on KSC's lawn" challenge for the moment :P It's a good idea though! You should post it elsewhere for more attention.

Yeah I posted it in challenges yesterday at 11:57 pm... lol. ALMOST today! Yesterday was pretty entertaining on the forum side.

I doubt I'll get any group of substantial quantity. I'll be doing the challenge myself though!

And now that the challenge is done, I can tell you all what I was originally intending to do.

The challenge was going to be a rescue mission. The player would have to design a munar rocket. They would have to tow along a subgroup that I had made. A parts bin. A pretty big one. Once the player made it to the Mun, the Kerbals would have to be saved, and their crew module would have to be retrieved. Then, towing both parts bin and crew module, they'd have to catch up to a larger Arkingthaad rocket that had become "damaged" and left the Mun on its own. So you would have had to catch up to a still slightly accelerating rocket, socket in the missing chunks from the parts bin, add the crew module, and once everything was nice and complete, then safely return it to Kerbin via powered landing.

The rocket itself probably would have had about three thousand parts. I was aiming for spectacle on that one.

And now that the challenge is done, I can tell you all what I was originally intending to do.

The challenge was going to be a rescue mission. The player would have to design a munar rocket. They would have to tow along a subgroup that I had made. A parts bin. A pretty big one. Once the player made it to the Mun, the Kerbals would have to be saved, and their crew module would have to be retrieved. Then, towing both parts bin and crew module, they'd have to catch up to a larger Arkingthaad rocket that had become "damaged" and left the Mun on its own. So you would have had to catch up to a still slightly accelerating rocket, socket in the missing chunks from the parts bin, add the crew module, and once everything was nice and complete, then safely return it to Kerbin via powered landing.

The rocket itself probably would have had about three thousand parts. I was aiming for spectacle on that one.

So you tought of a "do it in a week" challenge that would have takent 4 seasons of "Battlestar Galactica" or 2 full lenght "Star Wars" movies to achieve. You have no sense of scale.

How would it have been still accelerating between saves? I don't think you can return to the space center while you are throttled up. Were you going to take a quicksave and tweak it to be the persistent save? Or do I not understand what you're saying?

Also, I want to see how you would complete the challenge that you actually set.

How would it have been still accelerating between saves? I don't think you can return to the space center while you are throttled up. Were you going to take a quicksave and tweak it to be the persistent save? Or do I not understand what you're saying?

Also, I want to see how you would complete the challenge that you actually set.

The idea was I was going to slightly throttle it up, then shear off the control module. But, during testing, that didn't pan out.

And if I were to do the challenge? Not sure you'd get an authentic result. Specifically, I built the thing, so I know what went into it, and built the stuff that moved the pieces there. In addition, I've got the fore-knowledge of how everyone else handled the different parts. My response would be different because of that.

We need a brave YouTuber and a camera crew out here stat. That would make SUCH an awesome plot line.

Cowards, running away from a mere 3k parts rocket :sticktongue:

But seriously, a challenge that highlights the bugs of the game wouldn't be too much conductive to an official event like this. I've built stuff this big before, and I know it likes to explode the physics even before having to deal with docking nodes and claws...

Also, doing long missions where you are stuck in slow motion for the whole duration due to the part count isn't very fun. (I'm the designated driver for my team, this challenge took a LONG time to get done)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.