[OLD]Tundra Exploration

tygoo7

Finally got a chance to try Falcon 9 and boy did I love it. I flew it only once with Rodan as payload, but I haven't tried to recover it because I needed all the dV I could spare.

Hey, I was gone for awhile, but I just got back and I finally got to play with this and I love it! (However, I was testing it with RemoteTech on the same install, and... thus, even with antennas on it, I can't land the first stage when it's too far horizontally out from KSC.)

Otherwise, the new tank design was a much better idea. Overall the whole thing looks much better in-game than it did in the renders!

Unfortunately stock is horribly unbalanced, so I know it is hard to balance against an inbalanced system. But I ll take a look at some other stats.

Yeah... the thing is pretty unbalanced. At full throttle, it easily undergoes re-entry effects on liftoff. The Falcon, it seems, needs to be tamed. I do kinda like that the Octopus still has a high thrust on 1 engine (even though it's probably too high), because, gameplay-wise, it makes it easier to land. However, 4000 thrust is very a lot for only a 2.5m rocket. The Dragon's engines make sense to be high thrust (for abort). But... I think it would be cool to have it use two engine modes too. One for abort preparation (and/or landing?), then, once it's in orbit on its own power, it switches to a more fuel-efficient, and less powerful orbital state. Yemo, is that possible to do in the configs without tygoo needing to make changes to it in Unity?

Also, my best suggestion would be to balance it alongside Tantares, which is a very similar premised mod. While Tantares is not completely balanced, somewhere in its forums, someone was making patches for it. I'd suggest looking at those. :)

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

Tygoo, shouldn't you restart the poll or something? i think there could be people that didn't vote on the original

Sure.

Hey, I was gone for awhile, but I just got back and I finally got to play with this and I love it! (However, I was testing it with RemoteTech on the same install, and... thus, even with antennas on it, I can't land the first stage when it's too far horizontally out from KSC.)

Otherwise, the new tank design was a much better idea. Overall the whole thing looks much better in-game than it did in the renders!

Yeah... the thing is pretty unbalanced. At full throttle, it easily undergoes re-entry effects on liftoff. The Falcon, it seems, needs to be tamed. I do kinda like that the Octopus still has a high thrust on 1 engine (even though it's probably too high), because, gameplay-wise, it makes it easier to land. However, 4000 thrust is very a lot for only a 2.5m rocket. The Dragon's engines make sense to be high thrust (for abort). But... I think it would be cool to have it use two engine modes too. One for abort preparation (and/or landing?), then, once it's in orbit on its own power, it switches to a more fuel-efficient, and less powerful orbital state. Yemo, is that possible to do in the configs without tygoo needing to make changes to it in Unity?

Also, my best suggestion would be to balance it alongside Tantares, which is a very similar premised mod. While Tantares is not completely balanced, somewhere in its forums, someone was making patches for it. I'd suggest looking at those. :)

Thanks, yeah I'm pretty satisfied with the new texture. I'm away for the moment but I'll try to balance it the best I can when I get back. It is possible to have 2 modes for the dragon but I'm not sure if that's necessary since I don't feel the need for it. I'll take a look at some of the Tantares configs when I get back. :)

Thanks, yeah I'm pretty satisfied with the new texture. I'm away for the moment but I'll try to balance it the best I can when I get back. It is possible to have 2 modes for the dragon but I'm not sure if that's necessary since I don't feel the need for it. I'll take a look at some of the Tantares configs when I get back. :)

I was aiming that more at bit about the Dragon at if someone wants to make a third-party MM config. It's not at all necessary, but it just seems like something cool to me. The real Dragon uses only two in orbit, but having all four is cooler and better for gameplay, I think. Anyway, it was just a suggestion. I'm very happy it's released, mainly!

is the gidorah designed to fly back to vab?? i stage and after putting the rodan into orbit i switch back to gidorah and the bloody thing is shooting back to the space center as if it has wings and then i land it lmao.

Small issue I'm having with the rocket: When I use it without launch clamps it gets stuck to the launch pad, i.e. doesn't leave. Only remedy is to deploy the gear, that gets it unstuck. :D It's a small issue, as I said, just using a single launch clamp already remedies it.

Anyway, absolutely love your mod, I've been using the Rodan so much lately. With the Universal Storage science elements put between it and the heat shield it even makes a great exploration lander. :)

Small issue I'm having with the rocket: When I use it without launch clamps it gets stuck to the launch pad, i.e. doesn't leave. Only remedy is to deploy the gear, that gets it unstuck. :D It's a small issue, as I said, just using a single launch clamp already remedies it.

Anyway, absolutely love your mod, I've been using the Rodan so much lately. With the Universal Storage science elements put between it and the heat shield it even makes a great exploration lander. :)

Yeah, that's in the known issues list. I think StockBugFix modules might fix that since that might be a stock bug. Thanks btw!

I was aiming that more at bit about the Dragon at if someone wants to make a third-party MM config. It's not at all necessary, but it just seems like something cool to me. The real Dragon uses only two in orbit, but having all four is cooler and better for gameplay, I think. Anyway, it was just a suggestion. I'm very happy it's released, mainly!

Oh, yeah then that is possible since there isn't anything that needs to be changed in Unity.

is the gidorah designed to fly back to vab?? i stage and after putting the rodan into orbit i switch back to gidorah and the bloody thing is shooting back to the space center as if it has wings and then i land it lmao.

It's just designed to land. I'm not really sure what you are talking about since there is no autopilot or anything. Or maybe some kerbal ghost is possessing it?

Wow, IVA and Cargo Dragon are tied in the poll still!

Ah, I have one more little suggestion: I think it would be nice if you could add a flag toggle that adds the Kerbal/custom flag to the Rodan and the Ghidorah tanks.

Yep, planning to include that eventually.

Yep, planning to include that eventually.

Great. :)

I can't vote in the poll (I guess I'm too new :P), but I'm all for a Cargo Dragon. That would complete the family. Rosetta & Philae would be nice, too. The more parts the merrier. :)

Edited by skyllaking

Version 0.5.2 is available on KerbalStuff!

-Added Flag Decals

-Balanced Octopus engine

-Updated NearFutureSolar plugin

FRO6RIX.png

Great. :)

I can't vote in the poll (I guess I'm too new :P), but I'm all for a Cargo Dragon. That would complete the family. Rosetta & Philae would be nice, too. The more parts the merrier. :)

Alright I'll add your vote mentally.

Cool pic! Are those Universal storage parts below the capsule?

Yepp, exactly. They survive re-entry without a problem with the Rodan heat shield. Perfect setup for Mun/Minmus trips to gather science and level up Kerbals.

Well, I really like this mod but... the capsule hurts my computer's performance by quite a bit... I've not got a very good computer, but it usually runs better than when I use Rodan! Also, the top of the capsule with the cap and whatnot... I have yet to find a practical docking port that will fit in there correctly.

Well, I really like this mod but... the capsule hurts my computer's performance by quite a bit... I've not got a very good computer, but it usually runs better than when I use Rodan! Also, the top of the capsule with the cap and whatnot... I have yet to find a practical docking port that will fit in there correctly.

The stock one's fit very well unless you are using Ven's pack then there was a patch or a patch can be made to get you the old stock docking port.

Hey guys, sorry for no update in a while. I've been extremely busy with work, but I will try my best to get you guys that Cargo Dragon as soon as I can! :)

Will the Cargo Dragon be called Rodan also? Awesome mod by the way!

Don't know yet. It will probably have a unique name of it's own.

please help. falcon 9 wont lift off the ground. thanks

EDIT: Never mind, I found out if I raise it with launch clamps, then it takes off. :)

That is a known issue, I still have yet to figure out how to fix it.

So, the capsule is causing lag for you? Can you post your output_log please?

The stock one's fit very well unless you are using Ven's pack then there was a patch or a patch can be made to get you the old stock docking port.

Indeed, I don't really see a need for it since back then the docking port was attached to the pod in one part. :P

Well, I'd post the log but to be completely honest, I don't know how to do that. :P

Find the output_log in KSP_Data in the root folder, the place where your KSP.exe is, and put it on dropbox or something. It'll really help out to find what is causing the lag for you.

Find the output_log in KSP_Data in the root folder, the place where your KSP.exe is, and put it on dropbox or something. It'll really help out to find what is causing the lag for you.

Uh... I don't really know how to work dropbox either. :P

PM me your email? I promise no spam!

Update- I just realized the output_log tells you my KSP install location and my graphics card! Don't make fun of either of those things or their file names! xD

Edited by VenomousRequiem