[OLD]Tundra Exploration

tygoo7

Apologies if this has been covered. I was thinking about using a Tundra as a Duna Ascent Vehicle. With a full crew of Kerbals and a full tank of fuel, can it reach a moderate Duna orbit and dock with a transfer vehicle, or will I need to... Add MOAR BOOSTERS?

Apologies if this has been covered. I was thinking about using a Tundra as a Duna Ascent Vehicle. With a full crew of Kerbals and a full tank of fuel, can it reach a moderate Duna orbit and dock with a transfer vehicle, or will I need to... Add MOAR BOOSTERS?

I have no idea. I've only done missions as far as HKO in the Rodan. It might be able to get into orbit if you refuel on the surface or something, just guessing. :P

It has ~2200 m/s of delta V (takes around (in my experience) 700m/s to land on Duna and around 900m/s to return). So it should be able to land on duna and return to orbit. However, it won't be able to return to kerbin or get there on its own. So if you plan to do something like colonizing Duna, (which I intend to do) you'd need a mother ship. And whether it could rendezvous with its mother ship is questionable. (most likely it could if you're a pro, but I couldn't without a lot of reserve fuel).

Edited by davidy12

Stream is finished, a lot got done today.

cUF8M8Y.png

Have you thought about adding a 6th crew member? I'd really love to see that, plus, that's how many crew men are aboard the ISS.

I have thought of it, but I just can't fit a 6th crew member. :P

Is there anyway to make it non RPM?

It should still work without RPM, just less props. The actual Dragon V2 is mostly computer screens and stuff so I thought that RPM would be appropriate.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just going to leave this here...

ZrCxeVt.png

I will be streaming in about 10 minutes development of the new probe parts!

http://www.twitch.tv/tygoo7

Loving this mod at the moment, but there is just one thing that gets me: the Falcon 9 first stage engine doesn't seem to gimbal for roll. Any chance this can be looked at?

I could check that out.

Loving the IVA! My only complaint is that I just saw this update, just as I am starting work for the day :(. Otherwise, I would be enjoying my comfy, fancy IVA at the convenience of home....

Seriously though, this looks great!

Ah, yes I know how you feel. At least you'll be able to play with it later! :)

haven't been here on forums or played KSP for a few days and then I see this on my come back :)

IVA looks good on previews, I'll leave more impressions when I try it.

Thanks!

If need be, you can just have it clip inside the tank. That would work fine, I'd say.

The IVA looks great, tygoo!

Eh, not too keen on putting landing legs in the tank, the legs are suppose to be a separate part.

Streams over but I did manage to make this thing.

kb7YkkP.png

After looking about, it seems that you just need a gimbalTransform for each nozzle. As long as the thrustTransforms and individual nozzle models are parented to the appropriate gimbalTransforms, it should work fine.

I could do something like that in the next update.