[24.2] Deployable Airbags [v0.4.0 - 2014.08.17]

RoverDude

RoverDude,

Great mod, but I noticed the airbags have "PhysicsSignificance = 1." Is this necessary in order for them to function correctly? If so, that's quite unfortunate, as I prefer not to use magical massless, zero-drag parts.

Funny... I already made such parts a while ago but never released them. I'll release them in a short while with a bunch of other things that I made for myself...

These parts contain heat shields, inflatable bubbles, inflatable other things. They float. These are actually quite nice for Laythe bases. I made these parts in January... So no plagiarism either. The floating logic is an improved version of firespitter's floating code. It can be deactivated (for inflatables) and allows multiple float points per part.

http://imgur.com/a/4Oxrf

Edit: it does auto inflate on splashdown as well... Funny how similar one's needs and ideas are. If you want, I can share code.

I WANT THOSE also do buoys you have in the first two pics, have KAS capability in case of accidental landings in water

This looks so cool, is there a way to reduce their effectiveness though?

I'm not particularly fond of the speeds they are able to safely land at. Although I'm judging this from your first video, If that is adjustable I will definitely use this in my Duna mission!

This looks so cool, is there a way to reduce their effectiveness though?

I'm not particularly fond of the speeds they are able to safely land at. Although I'm judging this from your first video, If that is adjustable I will definitely use this in my Duna mission!

They have been getting a ton of tweaks on that front - generally 50ms is safe, 100ms is safe unless you smash perpendicularly ;)

They have been getting a ton of tweaks on that front - generally 50ms is safe, 100ms is safe unless you smash perpendicularly ;)

Awesome that its being worked on :)

When they can safely land at anything between 20-30 m/s I will have to have this mod, at the moment its going to make things a bit easy at 50-100. Will keep track of this thread.

If you don't mind me suggesting something, perhaps in the VAB/SPH we could have a tweakable option to use different materials? Perhaps the materials with additional strength would have the drawback of carrying extra weight. The strength being related to the amount of m/s the object can withstand. This would allow us to use varying options for specific deployment of different sized vessels and missions. A bit of strategic implementation you could say. They wouldn't really need additional texturing, because those that you have done are indeed awesome.

I try to stick to realism as much as possible so I hope I'm not coming across as mean. Just that sort of player.

If you don't mind me suggesting something, perhaps in the VAB/SPH we could have a tweakable option to use different materials? Perhaps the materials with additional strength would have the drawback of carrying extra weight. The strength being related to the amount of m/s the object can withstand. This would allow us to use varying options for specific deployment of different sized vessels and missions. A bit of strategic implementation you could say. They wouldn't really need additional texturing, because those that you have done are indeed awesome.

RealChutes already offers a materials option, so you could probably borrow some stuff from there.

Personally, I'm not too fond of the idea. Three airbag sizes is already plenty of variety (goes with three landing leg sizes, I guess), and while I like choice I'd rather not be overwhelmed with it.

Awesome that its being worked on :)

When they can safely land at anything between 20-30 m/s I will have to have this mod, at the moment its going to make things a bit easy at 50-100. Will keep track of this thread.

I try to stick to realism as much as possible so I hope I'm not coming across as mean. Just that sort of player.

Nope totally get it - It's just a fun balance between making them not overpowered, and also making sure they don't randomly smash things to bits at 10m/s ;)

dtobi, are those inflatable parts available?

They are now. So I can stop hijacking this thread.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84224-Klockheed-Martian-Special-Parts-27-June-2014-Development-thread

@RoverDude: Sorry RoverDude! I did not intend to start a discussion on my parts in your thread. Just wanted to add that I was doing something similar. BWT: love your work!

Will you ever write a custom plugin and remove the world cup mod dependency?

Thought about that tbh, but figure Squad already made the DLL and you can dump the soccer balls. But you never know, just not now as the plate is pretty full ;)

This does not work for me. I can attach the airbags in the VAB and can usually inflate/deflate them on assembly, unless they are placed with symmetry. However when launched I can not deploy the airbags. Action groups don't do anything, either. I have the Kerbin Cup Mod installed. Any advice? Known incompatibility to other mods?

Download! +rep!

Also, if you allow me, I'll make a ModuleManager config for KAS compability - it's not that hard.

(Edit - was thinking wrong mod of mine)

Yes please, KAS goodness would be nice :D

Sorry to butt in, but I already had one:

@PART[USI_Airbag_Single_Small]:AFTER[AirbagTools]:NEEDS[KAS]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, -0.08, -0.16)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = true
storedSize = 20
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
attachSendMsgOnly = False
}
}

I've tested the `evaPartPos` and it looks pretty reasonable.

The medium and large airbags are IMO too big for carrying on a Kerbal's back.

This does not work for me. I can attach the airbags in the VAB and can usually inflate/deflate them on assembly, unless they are placed with symmetry. However when launched I can not deploy the airbags. Action groups don't do anything, either. I have the Kerbin Cup Mod installed. Any advice? Known incompatibility to other mods?

None that I am aware of - do you have the latest version?

• 2 weeks later...