The Open Part Mod: The Asteroid Exploration Initiative

Ven

exploring_the_dust_by_vendetta1130-d7lq8u4.png

Fluff: You have been contacted by AEI ( the Asteroid Exploration Initiative), to design and build a space probe to explore foreign objects straying into the kirbin system. They have provided you with faring that your design must fit inside.

When asked further questions on how it should be done, their was no reply.

What will you do with it? The choice is up to you!

faring_zps14ea6cee.png

The faring DL

OBJ file

The Goal: Create a probe for exploring asteroids grazing kerbin's sphere of influence.

Starts 6/14, ends 6/25 at 6:00 PST

----Stats----

750m/s total DV

300 Electric charge

SAS Module

ModuleGrappleNode

---------------

Other requirements:

• Is able to return the data back to Kerbin
  • Must fit (and fill most of) the faring.
  • Post your Tris count and your texture resolution along with your pictures.
  • An animation of some sort

• Engine types allowed:
    Liquid-fuel (250, 350 isp)
    Mono-propellant (100, 250 isp)
    Ion (4,000 isp)
    Solid-fuel (275, 325 isp)
  • Document your parts success.

Optional: (more like ideas)

• An antenna

• return to kerbins surface intact
  • take a sample from the astetroid
  • RCS for fine control (may be used with a RCS Engine)
  • Deployable landing gear and/ or solar panels
  • multi-part probe (but you have to make every part)
  • Mod support (IE: Heatshiled for Deadly Reentry, configs for Realchute, etc), however, it must function with a stock install.
  • Plant a flag, without a kerbal!
  • Otherwise go nuts! Anything! Send up a flying piece of candy if you wish!

Rules

• Everything is open. The licensing is up to you (if others can use your stuff) but you must post your source art (as a unity package), screen shots, your finished in-game part with its .cfg and license.txt (if others can use your stuff) packaged in a .zip file so others can learn from what you did. It's not just showing off, it's helping others learn. You also agree if your part wins that week to be included in the best of download pack.
  • You will use constructive criticism only!
    We are here to learn and to teach, not to put people down. I am not a moderator but I can ban people from the contest that are rude or unhelpful with their comments.
  • You will be open to critiques and constructive criticism of your work.
    If you are unclear on what those words mean look them up, but you will not take constructive critiques of your work personally.
  • The Contest will start when the Part type is announced and will last exactly one week. The part shouldn't be overly complex and take up your whole week, this is just for people who work at different times and/or like to work in small amounts spread out across the week.

• Additions that were not part of the original requirements may be made by the part author, provided that the stated stat requirements are not changed.

• Submissions will be handled in this thread after the end date, up till the voting thread is made

• If you are the winner and picking the next part.

The direction and constraints consisting of its size and purpose at a minimum. "Make an engine" (too general) or "Make the Death Star" (too complicated) is not a valid description.
    "Make a 2.5m nuclear engine that looks like it was built in the 1960's" would be valid description.
    1. The part must be a single part
    2. The part must be different visually than any previous part (be creative, if a fuel tank was done last week do a science part this one)
    3. Simple enough for beginners to make (The Apollo capsule IVA is *NOT* simple)
    4. Have some direction and constraint to it

Previous Threads:

Radial Triple Fuel Tank - Winner: StarVision

Radial Probe Body - Winner: Ven

Boosted Decoupler - Winner: Cpt. Kipard

Xenon Tank Crayon Challenge - Winner: Ven

Edited by Ven

I've been watching these threads with great fun an finally decided to contribute myself.

These are WIP renders from my model, it fits inside the fairing (which looks really good Ven) but some space has to be filled

14240019009_87a1b9a05c_o.jpg

Inside the fairing

14240065688_d8ec1d0197_o.jpg

Compact mode

14403545996_bb4150b40b_o.jpg

Deployed and landed!

I've yet to make the engine, science parts, antenna, animations and of course the textures :D Hope you like it :)

You know I bet if you put the grapplenode inside the drill and left a little off the top of the collider, you could make it look like it drills into stuff to attach.

thats more or less the plan the tricky part is that I want it to spin until it actually grapples something. sparks flying like what kethane drills do would of course be a bonus.

Alright trying to model a working spiral has been kicking my but all week(the one I posted a picture of turned out to be glitched and untexturable. no matter how I oriented the normals there were sections that were transparent when viewed in texture mode) the boolean tool is glitchier than missingno the knife tool is tedious and imprecise. I'm running out of ideas on how to do this in blender :/

Anybody know how to make normals consistent on individual faces?

When you import the model to unity check the inspector import settings and set Normals and Tangents to Calculate instead of import and set smoothing angle to 60, this will give a much smother result if you have exported to unity using std smoothing, usually around 45 ish rather than unitys 60

Alright trying to model a working spiral has been kicking my but all week(the one I posted a picture of turned out to be glitched and untexturable. no matter how I oriented the normals there were sections that were transparent when viewed in texture mode) the boolean tool is glitchier than missingno the knife tool is tedious and imprecise. I'm running out of ideas on how to do this in blender :/

is there a helix tool in blender? I use max, I'd use a helix primitive to get the grooves, then extrude a shape along the helix path.

you could also try displacement map... make a cone, sub-d it a few times, and apply a texture to "cut" into the mesh. after that you can bake the normals back on to the simple cone.

looks like this is the tool to use?

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modeling/Meshes/Editing/Duplicating/Screw

Edited by nli2work

after using the screw modifier(not to be confused with the screw tool) the shrink wrap modifier, a cylinder, lots of manual tweaking, and keeping a close eye on how it looks in textured mode I got the model to work and animate to boot. The new snag I've hit is I can't figure out how to configure the modulegrabbernode in the part.cfg and there is virtually no documentation on how to roll ones own grabber part that I can find.

after using the screw modifier(not to be confused with the screw tool) the shrink wrap modifier, a cylinder, lots of manual tweaking, and keeping a close eye on how it looks in textured mode I got the model to work and animate to boot. The new snag I've hit is I can't figure out how to configure the modulegrabbernode in the part.cfg and there is virtually no documentation on how to roll ones own grabber part that I can find.

It seems that you'll need a transform or part to get it to attach to objects. In the case of the stock part, the 'ArticulatedCap' transform seems to be the attach point both in the config and the model itself.

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGrappleNode

nodeTransformName = ArticulatedCap

deployAnimationController = 1
nodeType = size1

captureRange = 0.05
captureMinFwdDot = 0.866
captureMaxRvel = 1
}

Not sure If I will be able to finish in time, but will try. I have gone through to many versions over the past week and a half, need to actually get some work done.

Don't worry too much though, I'll 'forget' to start the voting thread until I'm satisfied with the turnout.

Oh, and post your finished part in this thread, so I don't have meddle with 3rd party voting services or post two more threads that won't do anything useful for anyone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What happened to this thread and the whole open part mod? Two weeks might be too soon to say, but this seems dead.

Anybody still working on stuff? I loved following all the previous iterations, would be a shame to see this fall away.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.