[1.0.x] Protractor Continued - Rendezvous Plugin v2.5.1 (May 15th, 2015)

Addle

To quote mrenigma03, the original creator of this mod:

"Miss your old TI calculator? Tired of guessing at rendezvous angles?

Well good news - Jeb taped his old calculator on the side of his ship with those nosy scientists on the ground being none the wiser!"

J4YR4.png

lMgyD.png

Click on "?" on the in-game menu for a manual describing how to use this mod.

Or here's a video by Charlie Garcia:

Or Hadlock:

Download here!

Source

If you wish to use Protractor without requiring the part on your ships, I highly suggest you try malah's StockPlugins: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99869

CLEAN OUT ALL PROTRACTOR FILES BEFORE UPGRADING!

NEW INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Unzip the Protractor folder to your GameData\ folder in the main game directory. The resulting path should be ...\GameData\Protractor\...

Note that the part has moved earlier in the tech tree with version 2.4.11. This shouldn't cause issues, but you may have to research it again in the R&D.

Changes in 2.5.1 (5/15/15)

* Fixed bug due to change in API behaviour. Was involving all engines in the burn time calculations. Will now only consider active and operational engines, so burn times should work as before, again.

* The KSP-AVC .version file now has a maximum supported KSP version set to 1.0.*, as I expect it will not break with that version line, and it will be less annoying this way.

Changes in 2.5.0.2 (5/1/15)

* Version bump for KSP 1.0.2. Recompiled and updated versions.

Changes in 2.5.0.1 (5/1/15)

* Version bump for KSP 1.0.1. Recompiled and updated versions.

Changes in 2.5.0 (4/27/15)

* Changes for KSP version 1.0. Incremented version to 2.5.0. The release of KSP 1.0 deserves at least a minor version bump. Congratulations to Squad for this important milestone!

* Various fixes to accommodate API changes.

Changes in 2.4.16 (2/27/15)

* Fixed bug where Toolbar button would disappear when another ship with protractor would exit physics range (OnDestroy got called, for whatever reason).

* Added CKAN support. A .netkan file was added to the sources, and submitted to netkan.

Changes in 2.4.15 (12/16/14) - Who Needs Nodes Edition!

* Incremented version number to v2.4.15.

* Recompiled with KSP 0.90 and updated KSP version in .version file.

* Removed obsolete, now dead, code, which was using deprecated API calls.

Changes in 2.4.14 (10/24/14)

* Added estimated burn time to delta-V display to help with timing burns correctly. Clicking on the delta-V column header will show an estimated burn time for the estimated delta-V. You will want to stop at the correct closest approach distance, and not necessarily when this reaches 0. When the throttle is off, uses max thrust. Otherwise, uses the current throttle setting for the current thrust.

* Cleaned up the init sequence properly to get rid of any and all related errors (such as the toolbar button disappearing). Hopefully.

* Closest approach line will only appear when the current trajectory is not already an intercept with the destination SoI.

Changes in 2.4.13 (10/08/14)

* Updated version number and recompiled with KSP 0.25.

* Fixed problem with initialization happening too late, after it was needed. This fixes the non-functional non-Toolbar icon, as well as a problem with opening it from the Toolbar button.

Changes in 2.4.12 (8/11/14)

* Fixed a NullRef during startup that just happened to also be causing another bug I was trying to fix with the Advanced mode.

Changes in 2.4.11 (8/11/14)

* Borrowed some code from MechJeb2 (which is GPL3) for switching GUI skins. Added a new button right before the help button called "Settings" where the skin can be switched. One of these is the Unity default theme.

* Moved the Protractor parts to Flight Control in science/career mode. It is now available earlier. It is also now 400 funds, down from what I felt was on the high side.

* Replaced some code for SI postfixes, and parsing seconds into a date/time string which comes from MechJeb2 (also GPL3). The times are now in a different format which should be clearer (but slightly longer). Added font metrics.

* Other tidbits. For complete changes, see github.

Changes in 2.4.10 (7/26/14)

* Updated version number and recompiled with KSP 0.24.2.

Changes in 2.4.9 (7/24/14)

* Updated version number and recompiled with KSP 0.24.1 and Toolbar 1.7.5.

Changes in 2.4.8 (7/23/14)

* Updated version number and recompiled with KSP 0.24 and Toolbar 1.7.4.

Changes in 2.4.7 (6/14/14)

* Added (optional) support for blizzy78's Toolbar. If you have it installed, it will be used. Otherwise, it will behave as it always has.

Changes in 2.4.6 (6/14/14)

* Fixed ModuleEnginesFX support.

* Added support for Kerbal time. It will use whichever your game is set to.

Changes in 2.4.5 (2/11/14)

*added support for ModuleEnginesFx (used by mods like Atomic Engines) (I hope!)

Changes in 2.4.4 (12/28/13)

*updated for KSP 0.23

Changes in 2.4.3 (10/16/13)

*updated for KSP 0.22 and added to tech tree for campaign mode

License information:

All code (except ToolbarWrapper) released under GNU GPL license 3. Source is here: https://github.com/RealGrep/protractor.

ToolbarWrapper is Copyright Maik Shreiber, released under the BSD 2-Clause License.

Models courtesy of Shanakin over at the SA forums, released under MIT license

Thanks to Eryxias over at the SA forums for the minimize icons.

Thanks to r4m0n and The_Duck for code for thrust/mass and delta-v spent.

Thanks to r4mon, The_Duck and the entire MechJeb2 team for skin change code and a few other tidbits of borrowed code (which are GPL3).

Thanks to adammada for line rendering code

Thanks to three03 from SA for the color scheme

Special thanks to the goons in #KSPOfficial and the KSP thread at SA for all their testing, suggestions and patience.

And obviously, thanks to the original author, mrenigma03, for writing this nice program. If you come back, let me know and we can transition this back to you, if you'd like. His source is here: https://github.com/mrenigma03/protractor

Edited by Addle

Will this work with alternis?

Though I haven't tried it, the orbital elements are not hard coded in the program, so I think it would work. If you have any issues with it, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Yeah, its awesome, I tried to learn C# with this mod but I couldn't figure it out I was trying to connect it to the toolbar wrapper so it could use toolbar if it was installed but never figured out exactly how it all worked.

Thank you, Addle, for picking this up in my absence. As I still am unlikely to be to have the time to devote to development in the foreseeable future, I definitely appreciate that you have been willing to take over updates/hosting/etc. It's also flattering that there is still a demand for what I created as a hobby almost two years ago. Thanks, everyone!

Thank you, Addle, for picking this up in my absence. As I still am unlikely to be to have the time to devote to development in the foreseeable future, I definitely appreciate that you have been willing to take over updates/hosting/etc. It's also flattering that there is still a demand for what I created as a hobby almost two years ago. Thanks, everyone!

What can I say, it's quite a useful program. We all thank you for making it. And it's my pleasure to keep it going. Your thanks are very appreciated!

Have you thought about making this partless?

What, and not have a TI calculator strapped onto my ships with duct tape? Unthinkable! ;)

Seriously though, off the top of my head, that's something that can be done with ModuleManager. So I'll see about putting one together that people could (optionally) use. I'll post about it here when I get it going.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice comments. They're appreciated.

Also wanted to note that Protractor works fine in 0.24 (it seems so far) with Toolbar. I'm looking at the Unity Smoke GUI thing, as well as making the default with no toolbar use the new built-in one. In the meanwhile, it should continue to work. Of course, please report any issues you may have.

I got the toolbar version where I can see all my add on for 0.24. I downloaded protractor and it does not appear on the toolbar.

Odd. I assume you did configure the Toolbar to show it, and are using the lastest Toolbar (1.7.4 last I checked)? Just to make sure. If not, then I'll see about recompiling it and see if that doesn't fix it. Also, if there's anything incriminating in your log files, let me know. Busy right at the moment, but I should be able to get to it soonish.

Ok, I just released v2.4.8, which is simply a recompile with 0.24 and the latest Toolbar and a version bump. Probably a good idea, and perhaps it will solve any issues people might be having.

While I'm posting, I was thinking the part was a little expensive and perhaps too far up the tech tree. Any thoughts?

New version 2.4.9 has been released, compiled against 0.24.1 and Toolbar 1.7.5. Mostly this is to update the .version file for KSP-AVC, and it seems like it wasn't at all broken by 0.24.1, but I will try and generally recompile and update the release whenever KSP is updated, just in case.

So, any thoughts on the price for the part, or its location on the tech tree? Everybody happy with it as it is?

Anyway, enjoy your transfers. As always, let me know if you have problems with it.

EDIT: Wanted to add that you can be told when there's a Protractor update if you install KSP-AVC. It's a nice project. When I started KSP with the new version, it told me FAR had an update for it. Quite useful. For anyone who wants to be automatically told when there's a new Protractor (or FAR, etc) version, check it out: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79745-0-24-KSP-AVC-Add-on-Version-Checker-Plugin-KSP-AVC-Online

Edited by Addle

New version 2.4.9 has been released, compiled against 0.24.1 and Toolbar 1.7.5. Mostly this is to update the .version file for KSP-AVC, and it seems like it wasn't at all broken by 0.24.1, but I will try and generally recompile and update the release whenever KSP is updated, just in case.

So, any thoughts on the price for the part, or its location on the tech tree? Everybody happy with it as it is?

Anyway, enjoy your transfers. As always, let me know if you have problems with it.

EDIT: Wanted to add that you can be told when there's a Protractor update if you install KSP-AVC. It's a nice project. When I started KSP with the new version, it told me FAR had an update for it. Quite useful. For anyone who wants to be automatically told when there's a new Protractor (or FAR, etc) version, check it out: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79745-0-24-KSP-AVC-Add-on-Version-Checker-Plugin-KSP-AVC-Online

I have not added this mod for .24+ yet, but used it extensively in a previous build of the game.

Thoughts on price and tech tree. I would place it to enter at "Flight Control" which is the same place as mechjeb and make it fairly cheap (I do not know what the price is currently). If you wanted to be funny about it you could price it around $88 since that is the about going rate for a TI Graphing calculator these days.

Cheers for taking on the task of keeping it up to date, it is much appreciated.

Somebody asked about making it partless. Save this text as protractor_on_all.cfg in the protractor root folder. Remove the protractor parts from your builds and save the builds. Delete the parts folder from protractor.

//enables Protractor on all pods and probes

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]
{
MODULE
{name = ProtractorModule}
}

Here's an alternate icon for the toolbar if anybody wants it (right-click, save as): icon.png

Copy it over the existing icon in protractor root folder.

JackGruff, I can't believe I forgot about your request to be able to use it partless. Luckily, Oinker has picked up that slack for me. lol Thanks, Oinker!

I'm looking at jazzing up the GUI a little for you, as well, Oinker. Will probably need to add some kind of config window to switch skins. I should probably do that before I start in on Protractor 2.

Yes folks, I did say Protractor 2. mrenigma03 was working on that a while ago. He contacted me to see if I was interested in continuing it, and I'll be working on that fairly soon, as soon as I can find the time. It uses a Lambert solver written by alexmoon, and would no longer assume circular orbits. That has a computational cost, though, and won't update the values in quite the same way as the current Protractor. I will likely keep both versions going.

I'll let you all know when I have something to report. And, of course, I'll get to work on the GUI.

• 2 weeks later...

New version 2.4.11 released. Oinker, you've got your Unity smoke skin, and it can be switched. Hope the new location and price are to everyone's liking. It didn't seem to me that the Protractor part should be either expensive or far down the tech tree. As always, let me know if you have issues or suggestions.

Two things I have in mind for the near future: Fall back to AppLauncher if Toolbar is not present, and quite possibly RasterPropMonitor for using it in IVA.

Enjoy!

Just to let you all know, I've managed to get Protractor info in a RasterPropMonitor MFD. Needs cleanup of both the code and the displays, and I only just got it working, but work it does. I took it for a spin to the Mun and back with only the IVA displays in a stock Mark1-2 pod. That's not huge, but the fact that it also will work for Duna, etc, is pretty nice, if you ask me.

Soon, you will be able to do fully IVA transfers to anywhere with no map or instruments, other than RPM stuff. Have I ever mentioned how much I love RasterPropMonitor? :)

Did some more extensive testing, no matter what I attempted, I still get that same nullref.

I attempted it in my 50+ mods install.

I attempted it in my stock(testing environment) install.

I attempted it with a fresh install and download.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.