[1.0.x] Protractor Continued - Rendezvous Plugin v2.5.1 (May 15th, 2015)

Addle

1 hour ago, Addle said:

I do, yes. Sorry, haven't really had the time to do much yet, although I do have some changes waiting to be released. I'll start porting it to 1.1 fairly soon, I hope. But yes, I don't intend to let it die. :)

Thanks for continuing this mod. Would it be possible to upload it to SpaceDock so that I can get automatic emails when it is updated?

• 2 weeks later...

Could you maybe add support for the TI-84+ CSE/CE and TI-NSpire?

Just kidding! I'm hoping to start using this mod once it's updated to 1.1

Edited by Hactar

Wanted to go to Duna.

Did this https://github.com/thewebbooth/protractor

Compiled this http://themoose.co.uk/ksp/Protractor.zip

Went to Duna - Yay!

This is an unofficial build by Z-Key Aerospace.  All bugs are by me.  Please don't pester the authors if you have trouble with this build.

License is GPL3.

• 5 weeks later...

It always did pop quite a few exceptions.  I managed to use this build to get to every celestial body in the game so its definitely working.

The one I always get is

[EXC 19:12:05.668] NullReferenceException
    Protractor.ProtractorCalcs.tmr ()
    Protractor.ProtractorCalcs.thrustAccel ()
    Protractor.Protractor.FixedUpdate ()

@Z-Key Aerospace Thanks for the update; seems to be working fine for me.

Does it add itself (ProtractorModule) automatically to command pods or does it require the part? I might have made a MM patch to do just that in the past, but I can't for the life of me find it now, so I'm wondering if that's included behavior. I ask because I seem to be able to use it without the part. Eitherway, not really an issue.:)

On 26/06/2016 at 8:15 PM, WildLynx said:

The exception flood starts after docking - may you can look up what causes it?

Hello, have you retry since the new update he has done? I think the checks he added into tmr block these exception?

Thank you.  Not knowing what triggered the exception I went through the function and plastered it with if statements.

If this is the same exception and it can be reliably triggered by a successful docking manoeuvre then I have something to test against.

I'll give it a go.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a fix button for the exception spam and pressed it.  Update out real soon now.

Protractor stores the vessel in pdata.vessel.  After a docking operation that may not be valid any more.  I've got a check in FixedUpdate() that checks that pdata.vessel is valid and calls initialise() again if it isn't.  That seems to fix the exception spamming.

In the process I found that Protractor is spamming the stock toolbar with icons.  Hadn't noticed before because I always use Blizzy.  Probably not gonna fix the toolbar thing this time 'round.

I know I'm being slow about KSP stuff but I have two big websites to do before the end of summer and they are stressing me out.  Also my entire country seems to have gone insane - that is freaking me out.  Oh, and I may have a slight FTL (http://www.ftlgame.com/) addiction.  Any how - bear with me.

I may try and contact Protractor's developer see where he is and what his plans are.  He hasn't been around since the end of April.  Seems a shame that this thing isn't on CKAN.

I'll try and get an archive out real soon.

Tis here...

http://themoose.co.uk/ksp/Protractor2.8.zip

17 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

@Z-Key Aerospace I JUST now had KSP-AVC throw a message for a Protractor update of v2.8.. However, when I click "Download", your "repo" site only shows [x]Science and TAC Fuel... ???

Yes, well, I have to provide the .version file to stop it complaining that everything is out of date but it would be rude to do some massive take over of this mod before the real author either turns up and fix it properly or lets us know he is playing Elite from now on.  Thus we are in limbo for a while.

BTW...

Source: https://github.com/thewebbooth/protractor

This is an unofficial build by Z-Key Aerospace.  All bugs are by me.  Please don't pester the authors if you have trouble with this build.

License is GPL3.

Downloads page

KSP-AVC Support - "This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the Internet to check whether there is a new version available. Data is only read from the Internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin."

Edited by Z-Key Aerospace
Source, License, AVC get out clause etc.

Thanks for doing this. Will wait for a version without the toolbar spamming, as that's somewhat of a show stopper (have to restart the game after a few launches), but this has always been one of my favourite mods, and I'm just getting back into KSP after something of a hiatus.

Thanks for keeping this going, Z-Key Aerospace! Though I won't have time for another little bit to do much, what I *can* do is keep a close eye on my Github for pull requests, so feel free. We can work off that repo if you like.

Though I'd rather not fracture it, but of course, the license is permissive and you won't hear any complaints if you release your own version. Just make sure to change the name in some way to avoid confusion. But much better to just join forces and collaborate.

Will this help for doing multiple passes to get to duna from kerbin?  I have a low twr engine (1x nuclear engine) on a really big ship and I am having a hard time getting out of orbit with the escape window

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2016 at 7:11 PM, WildLynx said:

Looks like Protractors collider model is not supported by KSP/Unity anymore.

It cannot be targeted with KAS "hand" anymore, and it causes problems with FAR, which throws an exception spam because of it.

Interesting, yet annoying. lol

Ok, I'll take a look after I get other things going to my satisfaction. I don't know much about the models or updating colliders, honestly. But the easy solution may be one I sentimentally didn't want to do: Remove the useless parts entirely.

It's partless now, anyway, it doesn't need them. But I do love that TI calculator strapped on with duct tape. heh

Just now, WildLynx said:

Protractor part causes problems to existing ships - and cannot be removed via KAS./KIS in game.

Removing part from mod will cause worse problem - existing ships would not load.

I see easy solution for me - replace model with good one from any stock small part, and then remove it via KAS/KIS.

Ugh, you're right about that. Well, maybe I can find someone to fix it for me, or figure out how to fix it.

A new version is now up on my Github as a pre-release. Seems to work acceptably so far, but there may certainly be issues. For one, the colliders seem to need updating. But you no longer need to put the parts on your vessels, and I suggest you not add them, at least until I can get them fixed.

You may find it here: https://github.com/RealGrep/protractor/releases/tag/v2.8.1pre1

Please report any issues to me!

And, of course, big thanks should go out to Z-Key Aerospace who did the update work to KSP 1.1.3!

And I know I technically don't need to apologise for taking a while to get this done, but I'm Canadian, so sorry it took so long! :)

I'm mostly waiting to fix the colliders before I make a full release, but I would also like to find and zap any other issues found. There was major surgery performed on it when I refactored it. It should now be more easy to make it work in the tracking station and other places in which it makes sense, which is part of the reason I did all that refactoring (other than it really needed it, generally). That isn't in yet, but is something I have in mind for the future.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.