[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,061 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

pingopete, are Martian clouds in this version realistic enough? On photos from the Hubble and different probes there aren't so many clouds:

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="//imgur.com/a/f4gMg"></iframe>

No probably not as much or at least as visible, I'll tone is down on next release although I did recall seeing some, though somewhat less defined: opo9715c2.jpg

I've blurred the horizon here to show what rbray's atmosphere shader should add, but is otherwise a pic from 0.2.1, feeling pretty pleased about progress made and excited about things to come :)

The next update will also have Scaled space normal maps not shown here :D

v9X1Vxn.jpg

I've blurred the horizon here to show what rbray's atmosphere shader should add, but is otherwise a pic from 0.2.1, feeling pretty pleased about progress made and excited about things to come :)

The next update will also have Scaled space normal maps not shown here :D

a>

So is it agreed that the new terminator is better? I wanted to make sure that people preferred it.

How you get city light to work with this ?

They do by default, it should come with custom ones I made for RSS

So is it agreed that the new terminator is better? I wanted to make sure that people preferred it.

I was referring to the horizon not the terminators but yes the overhauls have incredible beautiful high contrast terminators :)

btw how is the atmo shader coming along? Have the managed to have a bash at it again? I've been thinking, including a config for custom editing of some inbuilt features, in particular fall off rate/scale of atmo shader and render distance for the PQS terrain shader, on rss it fall far short of the horizon.

Wait, that pic is from in-game with a new shader?

So... when do we get it and how sad will my GPU be?

Yeah it's in game, and its rbrays overhaul shaders, it's all in the op. And no the shader certainly don't have a cpu impact, the custom 8k textures did but are doing better in 64 bit ksp, there are lower res textures in the op though as well.

Edited by pingopete

They do by default, it should come with custom ones I made for RSS

I was referring to the horizon not the terminators but yes the overhauls have incredible beautiful high contrast terminators :)

btw how is the atmo shader coming along? Have the managed to have a bash at it again? I've been thinking, including a config for custom editing of some inbuilt features, in particular fall off rate/scale of atmo shader and render distance for the PQS terrain shader, on rss it fall far short of the horizon.

Yeah it's in game, and its rbrays overhaul shaders, it's all in the op. And no the shader certainly don't have a cpu impact, the custom 8k textures did but are doing better in 64 bit ksp, there are lower res textures in the op though as well.

IRL stuff is getting in the way recently... Shadows and then getting back to the atmosphere are the two big priorities.

Does this work with RSS 7.2 ? your install says

Ah dang, nice spot, sorry forgot it wasn't a direct link to dl

IRL stuff is getting in the way recently... Shadows and then getting back to the atmosphere are the two big priorities.

Sweet, can't wait, it'll be epic when this all gets ironed out :D

and obviously rl should always take priority :)

Edited by pingopete

Sorry, I've never used RSS before, but I'm trying now. I was wondering, does it do anything to Kerbol? Also, have you considered doing what Thesonicgalaxy has done with the flare? That looks beautiful and I think it would look great with this.

This is really impressive either way, so well done and thank you :)

Sorry, I've never used RSS before, but I'm trying now. I was wondering, does it do anything to Kerbol? Also, have you considered doing what Thesonicgalaxy has done with the flare? That looks beautiful and I think it would look great with this.

This is really impressive either way, so well done and thank you :)

You gotta remember it's 'sol' now ;) And no, I did consider altering the sun flare as it did look nice, and there's too little of it in rss but it requires changing squads stock ksp files which aren't allowed to be redistributed and consequently means it requires a lengthy manual editing process for everyone who would want it, I guess I could throw a texture in the dl for anyone with the know how to do it themselves?

You gotta remember it's 'sol' now ;) And no, I did consider altering the sun flare as it did look nice, and there's too little of it in rss but it requires changing squads stock ksp files which aren't allowed to be redistributed and consequently means it requires a lengthy manual editing process for everyone who would want it, I guess I could throw a texture in the dl for anyone with the know how to do it themselves?

Whoops, sorry, still getting used to it all. It's only a sharedasset file, I'm sure others distribute them.

There is one small thing, well it's a big thing and actually three things, but there's something wrong and I don't know what's causing it. I am 99% certain it is this mod though, unfortunately. Two moons are acting up and Kerbin is white from the tracking centre.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I have no idea what is causing this, because it's only Kerbin and those two moons causing the problems. Everything else looks... amazing beyond recognition. I downloaded all the requirements in your OP, but it still comes out like this. Have I missed something?

If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask, I'd really like this problem to be fixed.

Thanks for your time!

Edited by Iforgotthis

Whoops, sorry, still getting used to it all. It's only a sharedasset file, I'm sure others distribute them.

There is one small thing, well it's a big thing and actually three things, but there's something wrong and I don't know what's causing it. I am 99% certain it is this mod though, unfortunately. Two moons are acting up and Kerbin is white from the tracking centre.

http://imgur.com/a/PiJyU

I have no idea what is causing this, because it's only Kerbin and those two moons causing the problems. Everything else looks... amazing beyond recognition. I downloaded all the requirements in your OP, but it still comes out like this. Have I missed something?

If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask, I'd really like this problem to be fixed.

Thanks for your time!

Are you running any of these?

kittopia tech

anything above > RSS 6.2

active texture manager

any other personally customised mods

I'd really need you to list your mods and/or do a process of elimination to figure out which it is yourself. Have you tried a fresh instal with just the mods in the op?

Are you running mac OS?

Are you running any of these?

kittopia tech

anything above > RSS 6.2

active texture manager

any other personally customised mods

I'd really need you to list your mods and/or do a process of elimination to figure out which it is yourself. Have you tried a fresh instal with just the mods in the op?

Are you running mac OS?

List of mods:

Toolbar

Active Texture Management

AIES Aerospace

Advanced Jet Engine

Boulder Co

CustomBiomes

DeadlyReentry

DistantObject

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

FAR

KerbalJointReinforcement

KWRocketry

Realchute

RealFuels

RealismOverhaul

Realsolarsystem

RemoteTech2

TextureReplacer

Kerbal Alarm Clock

TweakScale

With only Active Texture Management, Boulder Co, EVE, and RSS (using the three links in your OP) Kerbin is fine but the two moons, which I now know are Gilly and Pol, still look like the images above.

It turns out that the Earth problem was caused by TextureReplacer. I have no idea what is causing the problems with the two moons, so I don't know whether it is RSSVE or just RSS.

I run windows 7.

The ATM I use is agressive, if it adds anything.

List of mods:

Toolbar

Active Texture Management

AIES Aerospace

Advanced Jet Engine

Boulder Co

CustomBiomes

DeadlyReentry

DistantObject

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

FAR

KerbalJointReinforcement

KWRocketry

Realchute

RealFuels

RealismOverhaul

Realsolarsystem

RemoteTech2

TextureReplacer

Kerbal Alarm Clock

TweakScale

With only Active Texture Management, Boulder Co, EVE, and RSS (using the three links in your OP) Kerbin is fine but the two moons, which I now know are Gilly and Pol, still look like the images above.

It turns out that the Earth problem was caused by TextureReplacer. I have no idea what is causing the problems with the two moons, so I don't know whether it is RSSVE or just RSS.

I run windows 7.

The ATM I use is agressive, if it adds anything.

Did you drag and drop instal RSS i.e. 6.2/6.3 over 7.2, or delete the newer one first before, it appears to be a geometry issue with the moons, I think it's most likely to do with rss in that case. Do you currently have missions involving these bodies? In other words is it going to be a major issue until next release? Sorry you have to remember this is still in its infancy although this shouldn't be happening.

Did you drag and drop instal RSS i.e. 6.2/6.3 over 7.2, or delete the newer one first before, it appears to be a geometry issue with the moons, I think it's most likely to do with rss in that case. Do you currently have missions involving these bodies? In other words is it going to be a major issue until next release? Sorry you have to remember this is still in its infancy although this shouldn't be happening.

No I removed the 7.2 first then swapped in the 6.2/3. I don't, it's a fresh install, and I don't think I will for a long time :D I've got a lot of rocket science to re-learn....

No I removed the 7.2 first then swapped in the 6.2/3. I don't, it's a fresh install, and I don't think I will for a long time :D I've got a lot of rocket science to re-learn....

Ok maybe try removing texture replace to see if it fixes the moons, it may also be a different version of ATM than the one I tested that's causing the issue. I highly doubt it'll be RSS and not RVE(and something), nathankell was very careful to iron out any glitches before release, unlike me :P

And I know the feeling, didn't feel ready for the shuttle missions by the 80's :P

Ok maybe try removing texture replace to see if it fixes the moons, it may also be a different version of ATM than the one I tested that's causing the issue. I highly doubt it'll be RSS and not RVE(and something), nathankell was very careful to iron out any glitches before release, unlike me :P

And I know the feeling, didn't feel ready for the shuttle missions by the 80's :P

I tried without texture replacer, it fixes kerbin but not the moons.

Perhaps it's ATM aggressive, so I'll try with basic and see how it goes.

And yeah... Shuttle missions are going to be a 2020's thing. I'll be lucky if I reach Mars by 2100.

Another thing, my KSC is buried under the ground at the moment, how can I fix that? (Sorry for all the questions, especially if you're the wrong person to ask :P)

I tried without texture replacer, it fixes kerbin but not the moons.

Perhaps it's ATM aggressive, so I'll try with basic and see how it goes.

And yeah... Shuttle missions are going to be a 2020's thing. I'll be lucky if I reach Mars by 2100.

Another thing, my KSC is buried under the ground at the moment, how can I fix that? (Sorry for all the questions, especially if you're the wrong person to ask :P)

I believe that's an issue that's been raised on the rss thread, I've never had the problem myself. You should check it out there, sorry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.