[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,061 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

I did finally get the .25 version working last night/early this morning. Seemed to be working fairly smoothly even though I didn't test it too extensively, needed to get some sleep. You have to go download a couple other mods. I would link them but I'm not currently at my computer.

Just saw you updated the README to include the mods you need to get it working.

@Felbourn, It would seem that you are working on you "real life launches" series so if you want something so the Earth doesn't seem so bland, I would suggest trying that.

Edited by ReventonHawx

I got the .25 version to sorta work with the x64-release of EVE overhaul. One problem is that the blue glow persists during the night, so when launching at night the bottom part of the screen is bright blue, all the way up to a weird, sharp cut-off point around 120 km of altitude, where it suddenly starts looking correctly.

Nonetheless, as always, it's gorgeous from orbit, take all my likes

227464_10202447841189949_8062289601794060598_n.jpg?oh=6381b2e30165350bc795e9d1ca37a963&oe=54DB7977

I got the .25 version to sorta work with the x64-release of EVE overhaul. One problem is that the blue glow persists during the night, so when launching at night the bottom part of the screen is bright blue, all the way up to a weird, sharp cut-off point around 120 km of altitude, where it suddenly starts looking correctly.

Nonetheless, as always, it's gorgeous from orbit, take all my likes

https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/227464_10202447841189949_8062289601794060598_n.jpg?oh=6381b2e30165350bc795e9d1ca37a963&oe=54DB7977

Haha nice pic, yeah rbray hasn't got around to adding lighting to the atmosphere shader. It's still very WIP, and don't worry the whole purpose of using it is to smooth the horizon throughout launch, so when it gets fixed it'll be much more continuous :)

I also noticed this, but it's still well worth it. Its such a huge improvement.. Also, correct me if im wrong, but I think the atmoshpere shader persists for quite some time.. I can fly at 22000 meters and its still bright and blue, whereas you can find pics from the cockpit of an sr 71 at that altitude and it has already faded..

Downloads of 0.2.1 just hit 1K :D

Life complete.

Well deserved man! Congrats!

I also noticed this, but it's still well worth it. Its such a huge improvement.. Also, correct me if im wrong, but I think the atmoshpere shader persists for quite some time.. I can fly at 22000 meters and its still bright and blue, whereas you can find pics from the cockpit of an sr 71 at that altitude and it has already faded..

Well deserved man! Congrats!

Thanks :) Yeah I did spend some time tryna get it figured out, the main problem is.. of course.. trying to apply EVE to RSS. I used an effect whereby the blue sky 2D layer above fades away with increasing distance to the layer. As we're dealing with such large scale the fade range is far smaller than it would be on stock KSP, as a result various visual artifacts start appearing when trying to compress the fade range (from bright blue at ground level to almost transparent by 20km). In this case it's obvious circles of darker blue that show as the fade happens. - Increasing the fade range to remove such effects also, unfortunately, increases its brightness higher than would be IRL.

Having said that, I claimed this effect wasn't possible in the first place and someone posting about it, got me trying again and ended up with this... so.. yeah I may well/probably will find a solution.

Btw thanks for giving the 0.25 alpha a test, I've pretty much entirely switched over to KSP 0.25 & RSS 8.2.1 due to added features in RSS :) So this will be the base for the new main build

This is an awkwardpost, but how do I install this? I downloaded the most recent version on GitHub, renamed the RSS folder as RealSolarSystem then moved everything into GameData. Didn't see any changes on loading up. Then I installed the EveOverhaul, and re-installed RVE, renaming the two folders in RVE as RealSolarSystem and EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements to merge with RSS and Overhaul, but I still didn't see any changes. Am I missing anything? It's worth bearing in mind I'm mostly looking at clouds - I've gotten clouds on another mod but then got purple clouds on Venus which just looks... wrong.

Either way awesome work and looking forward to a proper release :)

This is an awkwardpost, but how do I install this? I downloaded the most recent version on GitHub, renamed the RSS folder as RealSolarSystem then moved everything into GameData. Didn't see any changes on loading up. Then I installed the EveOverhaul, and re-installed RVE, renaming the two folders in RVE as RealSolarSystem and EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements to merge with RSS and Overhaul, but I still didn't see any changes. Am I missing anything? It's worth bearing in mind I'm mostly looking at clouds - I've gotten clouds on another mod but then got purple clouds on Venus which just looks... wrong.

Either way awesome work and looking forward to a proper release :)

hey astro, in the latest version you're trying, all files that come with RSS visual enhancements are found in one folder: RVE. all you need to do is chuck that into GameData and you're good. All textures necessary for EVE and RSS (for RVE) are included in the RVE folder.

Because of this you won't even need a boulderCo folder (unless you're using ATM). Though you will of course still need the EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements folder with the .dlls and to Download RealSolarSystem.

Hi pingopete, I just tried out the 0.25 version, and am loving the changes (especially the reflections). I have run into an issue or 2 though.

RVE and ATM together prevents Earth texture from being applied correctly - I'll get clouds and citylights, but with Kerbin ground texture. Here is the output log, using the latest of your compiles from github (from yesterday), ATM 3.8 basic, latest EVE overhaul from github (from 9 days ago), DDSLoader 1.5.0.0, MM 2.5.1, and RSS 8.2.1; running 32-bit on Windows (usually OpenGL, but have tried without). I have tried excluding the RVE and RSS folders from ATM by setting them to false in the cfgs, but that doesn't seem to work - only removing ATM (or RVE) resolves it.

A smaller issue is this dark shape (? shadow) (over Indonesia, the Western Pacific, and Northern Australia in the pic) in map view. Is there something I need to adjust in the settings? I'm pretty clueless as to what most of the EVE settings do, so could easily have missed something.

And do the clouds in that pic seem sufficient? They seem a bit sparse compared to your previous releases.

Hi pingopete, I just tried out the 0.25 version, and am loving the changes (especially the reflections). I have run into an issue or 2 though.

RVE and ATM together prevents Earth texture from being applied correctly - I'll get clouds and citylights, but with Kerbin ground texture. Here is the output log, using the latest of your compiles from github (from yesterday), ATM 3.8 basic, latest EVE overhaul from github (from 9 days ago), DDSLoader 1.5.0.0, MM 2.5.1, and RSS 8.2.1; running 32-bit on Windows (usually OpenGL, but have tried without). I have tried excluding the RVE and RSS folders from ATM by setting them to false in the cfgs, but that doesn't seem to work - only removing ATM (or RVE) resolves it.

A smaller issue is this dark shape (? shadow) (over Indonesia, the Western Pacific, and Northern Australia in the pic) in map view. Is there something I need to adjust in the settings? I'm pretty clueless as to what most of the EVE settings do, so could easily have missed something.

And do the clouds in that pic seem sufficient? They seem a bit sparse compared to your previous releases.

Thank you so much for testing, informative posts like this really make my job allot easier :)

A few questions however:

By reflections, do you mean the SS ocean sun reflection, cos that's actually bugged in the current release of the overhaul, don't know if you noticed :P

I'll have to look into this ATM issue, it may be that because the Earth map is now a DDS file, ATM is struggling to understand it, I wouldn't be too surprised if that was it actually. We had some issues with ATM reading the city day texture however changing that to DDS fixed it... so not to sure what's going on with the white city mask, you using the cropped to 4k city textures then?

As for the Bermuda triangle I can't say I'm too sure, did you manage to identify that as being correlated to ATM running as well?

And about the clouds, I'm currently juggling with some ideas about how to incorporate 3+ different cloud types through detail textures and cloud masks, that'll look good from close up, but also a distance, and doesn't obviously repeat nor require a 4k detail texture, Also while keeping the ram down. So that current layer in there is just one very experimental low res cloud mask, but certainly not final dw!

I will look into this this soon, but currently have a report due on PolybrominatedDiphenalEthers (fun fun fun!) for this Friday which needs allot more done to it! :P So I'm afraid until that's done this won't be the priority. If I get some time this evening I'll have a look though.

Oh btw, I don't suppose you could confirm a game breaking incompatability with the latest overhaul .dll's and Farram aerospace? It was giving me CTD's after the initial loading bar..

Edited by pingopete

thank you pingopete for your work. I can't wait to see it finished and working.

At the current state howeverer on my Linux x64 installation clouds aren't shown at all :( (i installed eve overhault 9-2, ddsloader and RVE from github).

I suppose I have to wait for a stabler release.

thank you pingopete for your work. I can't wait to see it finished and working.

At the current state howeverer on my Linux x64 installation clouds aren't shown at all :( (i installed eve overhault 9-2, ddsloader and RVE from github).

I suppose I have to wait for a stabler release.

Same here H3ron don't know if it's a Linux thing or what.

By reflections, do you mean the SS ocean sun reflection, cos that's actually bugged in the current release of the overhaul, don't know if you noticed :P

I just mean the reflections off the oceans in map view/tracking centre - especially along the shores, the shimmer is gorgeous. I haven't had much time lately to play, so was just enjoying the sights :)

I'll have to look into this ATM issue, it may be that because the Earth map is now a DDS file, ATM is struggling to understand it, I wouldn't be too surprised if that was it actually. We had some issues with ATM reading the city day texture however changing that to DDS fixed it... so not to sure what's going on with the white city mask, you using the cropped to 4k city textures then?

I'm just using the textures from your github 0.25 download, so I think they're full res ones (but I'm away from my gaming comp for a few days, so can't verify that).

As for the Bermuda triangle I can't say I'm too sure, did you manage to identify that as being correlated to ATM running as well?

That triangle is without ATM installed. I actually haven't looked at whether it's still there when ATM *is* installed.

Oh btw, I don't suppose you could confirm a game breaking incompatability with the latest overhaul .dll's and Farram aerospace? It was giving me CTD's after the initial loading bar..

I've booted it with all the RO-necessary mods (including FAR 14.3.2) with the overhaul release from 10 days ago (the x86 release), and it seems to load fine - the only incompatibility I could find was the ATM issue. But then again I haven't had time to fly anything, so whether everything actually works is another matter :P. I run OpenGL in administrator mode BTW, so dunno if that might be a reason.

I wonder. Would PlanetShine mod work with this?

EDIT: Whelp I need help! This is what I keep on seeing when loading/starting new career :/ Using 0.25 version of RVE - http://i.imgur.com/NvaPly8.jpg I guess I installed it incorrectly :/ Could anyone help me install the 0.25 version please?

Edited by Sakai

I wonder. Would PlanetShine mod work with this?

EDIT: Whelp I need help! This is what I keep on seeing when loading/starting new career :/ Using 0.25 version of RVE - http://i.imgur.com/NvaPly8.jpg I guess I installed it incorrectly :/ Could anyone help me install the 0.25 version please?

Did you also install the texture pack from Real Solar System (8192x4096, 4096x2048, or 2048x1024)? I forgot to do that once (or three times :D) and got the same thing.

Did you also install the texture pack from Real Solar System (8192x4096, 4096x2048, or 2048x1024)? I forgot to do that once (or three times :D) and got the same thing.

I did install it. 100% even doubled checked and I did

Edited by Sakai

Added Cloud detail to shadows.

Brilliant thanks :) Does it work with RSS now btw?

EDIT: I just tested: shadow details working, but still incorrect projection to Earth radius, cheers for the fix though :)

Edited by pingopete

...EDIT: Whelp I need help! This is what I keep on seeing when loading/starting new career :/ Using 0.25 version of RVE - http://i.imgur.com/NvaPly8.jpg...

I got the very same thing. Also on what I believe to be a correct install. Did you find a solution yet?

Edit: Nevermind. I see now that I've failed to follow some of the instructions. Will report back here if I get it working.

Edited by ThorBeorn

I got the very same thing. Also on what I believe to be a correct install. Did you find a solution yet?

Edit: Nevermind. I see now that I've failed to follow some of the instructions. Will report back here if I get it working.

Please do share if you find a way! Really wish to play some KSP with this ASAP!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.