[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,061 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

yes. That was the problem! xD Now it works. A bit buggy but it works :D

The Earth as seen from the space looks amazing! :0.0:

The sky, anyway, does not became dark by night.

sdBF9RC.png

And the clouds are actually balls.

But I suppose that's just because RVE is a WIP yet.

Edited by h3ron

I get this as well, and can fix it by simply visiting the tracking station. No idea why this fixes the volumetric clouds.

Still need to do more testing in PQS, clouds were being highly unreliable (especially when details contain transparency), I also plan to do a complete revision of PQS haze using the proper haze shader, just need a few tweaks from rbray to separate the layers.

Still need to do more testing in PQS, clouds were being highly unreliable (especially when details contain transparency), I also plan to do a complete revision of PQS haze using the proper haze shader, just need a few tweaks from rbray to separate the layers.

I changed the shaders for clouds to render detail very differently... no more overlap.

Hey guys just an update on RVE progress, it may appear I've left this mod, or gone on extended hiatus, but this isn't the case. I'd like to wait just a little longer for rbray to finalize the new atmo shader, once this is done I can make a new release, 0.3, with all the planet interiors as well as exteriors, the most comprehensive (non-potato crap show) release you've seen yet! This will of course be designed for ksp 0.25 and thus contain revised textures regarding mem use, making the mod more accessible to everyone.

I really appreciate your patience with this, there are some great things on the horizon courtesy of rbray's infinite shader wizardry!

Some of the major changes to looks forwards to in next full release:

-Working, real, shadows for all clouds. No more missalignment over time. Shadows stretch with respect to suns direction (i.e. at the terminators)

-MUCH MUCH MUCH better atmospheric system for PQS/ground level visuals (with a true volumetric effect). No more glitchy placeholder 2D effects clipping into mountains etc.

-Ground level/atmosphere work on all gassious planet interiors, and terrestrial bodies.

-Heavily revised memory usage throughout the entire mod, this was a requirement for RSS in 0.25 (rss only works on x86 in ksp 0.25).

There's a whole number of other smaller improvements and tweaks that'll also be included.

Thanks once more for your patience with this mod, I really, really appreciate it!

Edited by pingopete

Thanks again for all your hard work, pingopete. I've actually been waiting to play 0.25 until all the realism mods (including yours) got the kinks worked out. Sometimes it's good to take a break, but I eagerly await your next release. Cheers.

I need to find a compromise in quality and performance to a certain extent although I will always try to provide a super hi-res version of my textures for those who have the capability to run them. Trouble is I don't really know what the general consensus is from RVE users. It also depends on how small (in-game scale) I can make textures without obvious visual repetition. This is proving to be an issue in PQS since rbray extended the terrain texture render distance (which is exactly what I asked for) I just now have to figure out how to overcome this without GIGANTIC textures or repetition. hmmm...

I'm hoping that as DDS files are loaded directly to the GPU it's not only faster on loading but might also take some load of the CPU and virtual memory? I have no idea if this is the case however..

Yes, it is. Especially if you run DX11 or Open_GL. The savings will be massive if you convert to DDS, especially that unlike with parts, LoadOnDemand can't help here.

You could always create a more basic version for windows 32-bit and a pure-awesomeness version for linux 64. Another thing - I hope you do take compability with PlanetShine into account? I guess quite a few people are going to use both Planetshine and your mod.

I have a question: I love what you are doing here, but it requires more mods than I am willing to put up with (The only reason I would be downloading them is for this since I use the 1/10th RSS Config) however, I would really like to use JUST the city lights from this mod. How would I go about doing that?

So, I'm getting a bug, and I'm not sure if this is a known bug or not from the descriptions in the first post.

I'm running RVE w/ActiveTextureManagement-basic.

When I load the launchpad (@ canaveral), at night, I'm getting a really strange clipping effect with the city lights layer, where they seem to ... fall apart into a strange pseudo-hexagonal pattern that blinks. This effect goes away once I hit scaled space. Does this sound familiar?

Didn't think to screenshot it last night, but if it happens again later today, I'll upload one.

You could always create a more basic version for windows 32-bit and a pure-awesomeness version for linux 64. Another thing - I hope you do take compability with PlanetShine into account? I guess quite a few people are going to use both Planetshine and your mod.

Yeah I've been using it since I found it a few weeks back, you can be sure to see it in the suggested mods :) And yeah sure, well I can't really test on linux so you might have to do that for me :P

I have a question: I love what you are doing here, but it requires more mods than I am willing to put up with (The only reason I would be downloading them is for this since I use the 1/10th RSS Config) however, I would really like to use JUST the city lights from this mod. How would I go about doing that?

Delete all included textures bar BoulderCo/CityLights/... or if you're using the gitHub version then everything except RVE/EVE/CityLights/...

You might get a white globe, from EVE not being able to find the textures, if so press alt+E and remove everything from the atmosphere section with the minus button and everything from terrain section.

EDIT: Now I think about it you may also have to delete some of the .dlls from EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements to stop stuff like terrain from running, excess mem use etc. It kinda depends what version you're using though.

So, I'm getting a bug, and I'm not sure if this is a known bug or not from the descriptions in the first post.

I'm running RVE w/ActiveTextureManagement-basic.

When I load the launchpad (@ canaveral), at night, I'm getting a really strange clipping effect with the city lights layer, where they seem to ... fall apart into a strange pseudo-hexagonal pattern that blinks. This effect goes away once I hit scaled space. Does this sound familiar?

Didn't think to screenshot it last night, but if it happens again later today, I'll upload one.

Which version you using?

Yes, it is. Especially if you run DX11 or Open_GL. The savings will be massive if you convert to DDS, especially that unlike with parts, LoadOnDemand can't help here.

I've already nearly completely converted all textures to DDS on NathanKells request :)

Edited by pingopete

Oh, sorry, the dev 0.2.2 release.

That's weird, that issue is to do with far clipping planes, I can't remember whether there was a fix for it by that point, are you using RSS 7.3/4 and ksp 0.24.2, cos that's what it was tested on. Sorry this whole mod's a bit of a mess atm while I'm migrating versions and waiting for fixes/improvements.

City texture test with transparency, thanks to rbrays texture wrapping fix :)

dvIJkvG.png

You'll have to ignore how KennedySpaceCenter was built in a shopping mall though

Edited by pingopete

I read something about hitting 'p' to change a draw distance variable something something? Can you explain that functionality briefly: what it does, how it might help?

I'm on 0.25 for KSP, also, duh - you probably wanted to know that too. :)

EDIT: And if it's a mess, it's a pretty mess - thanks for making it.

Edited by boosters++

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.