[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,061 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

Been loving the new version!

Just thought I'd leave these screenshots here....

http://imgur.com/a/38hWI

Brilliant stuff bacon, great to see it working for others, especially with so many other mods running! Will you be able to use this for your vids then, I guess not the space stuff, tiling is fairly obvious at the moment, need to get that fixed.

Also watching your Venus mission encouraged me to do some early atmosphere testing:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by pingopete

Which version of EVE-Overhaul should be used? I got the x86-release.zip from

https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/tree/Overhaul

Then kept everything in its /Gamedata/EnvironmentEnhancement/. Then install RVE, that correct? The clouds didn't render right, they were clipped into each other in the map view

Also watching your Venus mission encouraged me to do some early atmosphere testing:

Oh wow, those Venus shots look great!

At first, I thought that final shot was the real thing. If anything, I'd say a bit yellow-er at the surface, but who knows how accurate the color correction was on those old soviet photos. The rest is looking sweet.

And yeah, it's defiantly usable for videos. The cloud seams can get a bit obvious, but for LEO stuff, it's just down to picking the right camera angle to hide that.

You forgot to convert the Earth's main texture in the GitHub version. I'll check how it runs with DDS clouds.

The textures left as PNG must stay that way as they won't work as DDS me and nathan kell have already tried. It's just textures that are applied after load or control something else (like sometimes cloud masks) break if converted to DDS.

As for the cyclones, if you & community would rather I'll change it up for something more flat. I think I'd have to anyway tbh

I wish this level of detail was stock. I would download RSS and this, but ... contracts and career, man. From anyone who uses RSS, how is the science mode? Is it at least playable?

I only play science mode, never really understood or was draw towards career mode, for me, KSP is about discovery not financial realism, even if it adds some degree of realistic challenge to career.

Which version of EVE-Overhaul should be used? I got the x86-release.zip from

https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/tree/Overhaul

Then kept everything in its /Gamedata/EnvironmentEnhancement/. Then install RVE, that correct? The clouds didn't render right, they were clipped into each other in the map view

Camlost: Yeah that's the one, and x86 though I'm not sure it matter to much on 32 bit. Drag RVE and EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements into your gameData, And if you wan't the modified lens flare put the shared assets into KSP_Data and override.

EDIT: oh and as always you can reduce memory footprint non-invasively by installing ATM basic or Full, both work great.

-Highly separated volumetric cloudlets I found can be fixed by opening EVE GUI (Alt+E) and hitting apply once. < ONLY do this with game paused and in PQS, else it can cause... 'problems'...

-Be sure to pick up DDS loader and the converted textures from GitHub if you haven't already, it'll save you memory.

Edited by pingopete

The textures left as PNG must stay that way as they won't work as DDS me and nathan kell have already tried. It's just textures that are applied after load or control something else (like sometimes cloud masks) break if converted to DDS.

As for the cyclones, if you & community would rather I'll change it up for something more flat. I think I'd have to anyway tbh

I only play science mode, never really understood or was draw towards career mode, for me, KSP is about discovery not financial realism, even if it adds some degree of realistic challenge to career.

Camlost: Yeah that's the one, and x86 though I'm not sure it matter to much on 32 bit. Drag RVE and EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements into your gameData, And if you wan't the modified lens flare put the shared assets into KSP_Data and override.

EDIT: oh and as always you can reduce memory footprint non-invasively by installing ATM basic or Full, both work great.

-Highly separated volumetric cloudlets I found can be fixed by opening EVE GUI (Alt+E) and hitting apply once. < ONLY do this with game paused and in PQS, else it can cause... 'problems'...

-Be sure to pick up DDS loader and the converted textures from GitHub if you haven't already, it'll save you memory.

Ah... I have to figure out what is with the cloud separation issue...

Then try again, in the latest version of RSS. :) As a matter of fact, I've converted (and downsized) it on my end. Works splendid. Indeed, in the latest RSS, all textures are DDS. Saves everyone a load of memory.

Works fine, also in adition to running about 30 mods or so. Only problems are those that you already mentioned yourself (3d cloud layer not lining up, tiling), no other significant bugs to report from my side.

Great stuff again pingopete :)

Been loving the new version!

Just thought I'd leave these screenshots here....

http://imgur.com/a/38hWI

Maybe somewhat off-topic, but I gotta know how you are able to apply all those different decals to your aircraft. I tried the flag decal mod but that only allows me to apply the current mission flag.

Then try again, in the latest version of RSS. :) As a matter of fact, I've converted (and downsized) it on my end. Works splendid. Indeed, in the latest RSS, all textures are DDS. Saves everyone a load of memory.

P's & Q's my friend! :) Virtually all textures are DDS on Git, I'll get around to converting the rest when I have some more time, but it will happen, don't worry.

Works fine, also in adition to running about 30 mods or so. Only problems are those that you already mentioned yourself (3d cloud layer not lining up, tiling), no other significant bugs to report from my side.

Great stuff again pingopete :)

Maybe somewhat off-topic, but I gotta know how you are able to apply all those different decals to your aircraft. I tried the flag decal mod but that only allows me to apply the current mission flag.

That's great to here, this DDS loader is truly working wanders, I had most people unable to run 8k's on RSS even with 64 bit before!

And don't worry about it, I was wandering the same thing!

Will this pack work with OSX because of 8k textures? If not, is there a way I can make it work?

I don't know a great deal my self tbh, I think there may be a fix, but either way I'll be sure to include reduced sized textures in the final release, whenever that day may come :)

Did you get cloud *masks* working as DDS? I was unable to do so, even after telling DDS Loader to keep them readable. They had to stay png.

As far as I can tell the DDS mask I'm providing on the Git Repo is working, haven't technically tested it my self yet though

Just tested I can confirm it works as a mask, maybe something to do with how you're saving? This is the NVIDIA DDS plugin settings on save of that mask:

converted project to RGB then saved as DXT5 ARGB 8bbp - Interpolated alpha No mip maps

Edited by pingopete

Just a minor request, not that important but something a few others and I might benefit from. I notice in a lot of the RO related threads, like this one, they use lots of colors in their list in the OPs. That is difficult/impossible for those of us who can't see colors to use. Like you use red, green, and orange which are the three most common colors anyone with color blindness can't distinguish. I was wondering if you could use any other colors than those three? Or perhaps Red, Blue, Black or something like that? Best solution would be to not use colors but marks like *, + or - to show which are noteworthy, done or not done (respectively).

Anyway, not a biggie but would be cool if these were things more RO related devs kept in mind. (I can dig into the stuff myself and find out, but would be nice to see right from the thread).

Just a minor request, not that important but something a few others and I might benefit from. I notice in a lot of the RO related threads, like this one, they use lots of colors in their list in the OPs. That is difficult/impossible for those of us who can't see colors to use. Like you use red, green, and orange which are the three most common colors anyone with color blindness can't distinguish. I was wondering if you could use any other colors than those three? Or perhaps Red, Blue, Black or something like that? Best solution would be to not use colors but marks like *, + or - to show which are noteworthy, done or not done (respectively).

Anyway, not a biggie but would be cool if these were things more RO related devs kept in mind. (I can dig into the stuff myself and find out, but would be nice to see right from the thread).

No problem, Putting that in right now! It didn't even occur to me, thanks for pointing it out!

I've figured out how to get it to work (mostly user error) but I do have one issue that remains. If I leave the code for the haze in the Atmosphere.cfg, it almost makes Earth/Kerbin look like snowball-Earth from the tracking center (it looks dark from the launchpad/KSC screen with a blue sky and the Sun in it). It seems the game is rendering these "layers" more opaquely than it should (the pictures in the OP are gorgeous). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct for this? (I've tried using the .dll's supplied with 2.2 but those have crashed the game so far... Which have been the last one's I've been able to get. I have one last idea and that has been to update my Video drivers--I've realized that I haven't checked them recently, (long story) and I'm going to see if that matters.)

Thank you again for making this PingoPete and I apologize if I've caused any grief! And thank you for the help so far!

Absolutely, I'll do it now, sorry about that. never occurred to me either.

EDIT: OP updated, let me know if you'd wan't anything else :)

I've figured out how to get it to work (mostly user error) but I do have one issue that remains. If I leave the code for the haze in the Atmosphere.cfg, it almost makes Earth/Kerbin look like snowball-Earth from the tracking center (it looks dark from the launchpad/KSC screen with a blue sky and the Sun in it). It seems the game is rendering these "layers" more opaquely than it should (the pictures in the OP are gorgeous). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct for this? (I've tried using the .dll's supplied with 2.2 but those have crashed the game so far... Which have been the last one's I've been able to get. I have one last idea and that has been to update my Video drivers--I've realized that I haven't checked them recently, (long story) and I'm going to see if that matters.)

Thank you again for making this PingoPete and I apologize if I've caused any grief! And thank you for the help so far!

Fizwalker you need the dll's from the latest EVE overhaul if you're trying to use the 0.25 version from github, else I have removed all other version due to instabilities.

https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/tree/Overhaul < it should say updated 6 days ago or less, you'll need the x86 release. Please read the notes in read on OP in the DL section, and also the readme on git, it has important into on required mods :) Happy flying!

Edited by pingopete

I've just installed, but there's way too much cloud, and it's tiling in places. How can i adjust the settings for this pack?

This is down the the cloud detail texture which I havent yet got around to offsetting (looping edgelessly) so it has this tiled effect atm. The github project is still very unfinished, please don't expect a full release from it yet. I'm currently bogged down with work for the next week, but I'll do what editing I can in the evenings. In the meantime you can try changing values and stuff in the EVE GUI (Alt+E), but until I get some real free time, I'm afraid you'll have to just be patient, sorry.

My next Project Alexandria is set to record Dec 8 to Dec 13. What are the odds of having something with JUST Kerbin running before then? ;)

Probably not massive given how much work I've just been given to complete between now and the 9th, I'll see what I can do though, still a few things needing to be fixed/added with the atmosphere at the moment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.