[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,061 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

Probably not massive given how much work I've just been given to complete between now and the 9th, I'll see what I can do though, still a few things needing to be fixed/added with the atmosphere at the moment.

ow thanks, tried the github versions again.

Everything looks much better.

There's a strange problem though, after launching from ground to space everything looks fine, but upon reloading the atmosphere/clouds disappear in a fisheye like effect under the ship. Not sure why..

Also there's that massive blob of white clouds over KSC, not only it's too bright, but it's also too laggy.

Been loving the new version!

Just thought I'd leave these screenshots here....

http://imgur.com/a/38hWI

Impressive. 2GB of RAM and all those mods, is that 64bit KSP or what? All ddsed? Care to give us any tips?

I came across a "bug" where it would get stuck on this...

gPy8Jmr.png

I think its a case of my incompetence in installing but it will load EVE overhaul without RVE fine.

On a Mac.

EDIT :: apparently some loose folders had gotten into my BoulderCo folder (excluding ATC configs)

Edited by zacharii

Just updated gitHub, should look allot better now.

https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-0.25

Just tried it, sky still somewhat dark, clouds look a lot better now :)

One issue though; all the ground (except cities) is this red/brown-ish color, but I guess this is just a memory issue like some experienced before with the larger city textures in non-dds format

I came across a "bug" where it would get stuck on this...

http://i.imgur.com/gPy8Jmr.png

I think its a case of my incompetence in installing but it will load EVE overhaul without RVE fine.

On a Mac.

Ah no that's due to the 8k cloud detail texture on mac, do you have photoshop or gimp so you can down size or crop it?

Just tried it, sky still somewhat dark, clouds look a lot better now :)

One issue though; all the ground (except cities) is this red/brown-ish color, but I guess this is just a memory issue like some experienced before with the larger city textures in non-dds format

Yeah probably, although the cities are dds now? The sky darkness is something I'm working on.

About the recent updates:

I've tiled the cloud detail properly now, although the new detail wrapping system still produces mirroring, this can be avoided by not launching into perfectly equatorial or polar orbits.

Added back land texture from orbit.

Reduced the repetitiveness of PQS terrain texture.

Various other tweaks.

Edited by pingopete

For cases like this, a reduced version of RVE would be really handy. Even knocking the two 8k textures (Earth and clouds) down to half or quarter the size would help with both memory consumption and Mac compatibility.

Brilliant stuff bacon, great to see it working for others, especially with so many other mods running! Will you be able to use this for your vids then, I guess not the space stuff, tiling is fairly obvious at the moment, need to get that fixed.

Also watching your Venus mission encouraged me to do some early atmosphere testing:

http://imgur.com/a/eqDnK

Wow, coming back to look at this mod and that looks stunning Pete! I almost thought that was a reference picture for when you decide to make it XD! That is absolutely beautiful man!

Wow, coming back to look at this mod and that looks stunning Pete! I almost thought that was a reference picture for when you decide to make it XD! That is absolutely beautiful man!

Thanks Sonic! learned from the best!:) also the new atmoshader, even in it's wip state is working wonders!

3/12/14 Dev changes:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

P.s. just looked on official imgur site, apparently it's officially pronounced image-er (imager)

Edited by pingopete

Yeah probably, although the cities are dds now? The sky darkness is something I'm working on.

Yeah, I wasnt talking about the cities :P I was saying that the ground (grass and stuff) itself is red/brown, the cities are fine. I thought it might be the same memory issue that people had some time ago, back when the cities where still in non-dds format.

Otherwise; awesome stuff man! Its amazing just to see the change from the 0.2.1 version imgur album and the most recent github master version, the progress is just incredible!

Yeah, I wasnt talking about the cities :P I was saying that the ground (grass and stuff) itself is red/brown, the cities are fine. I thought it might be the same memory issue that people had some time ago, back when the cities where still in non-dds format.

Otherwise; awesome stuff man! Its amazing just to see the change from the 0.2.1 version imgur album and the most recent github master version, the progress is just incredible!

haha thanks! :) Post some pics maybe, I can't think why that'd be happening .

Thanks Sonic! learned from the best!:) also the new atmoshader, even in it's wip state is working wonders!

3/12/14 Dev changes:

http://imgur.com/a/cHFVj

P.s. just looked on official imgur site, apparently it's officially pronounced image-er (imager)

Is the PQS transparency related to the _InvFade param? I noticed something similar if the value is cranked up really high.

Is the PQS transparency related to the _InvFade param? I noticed something similar if the value is cranked up really high.

Yeah I'm now thinking it probably is, just slightly fading the cloud were it is getting close to terrain height :/

BTW I noticed new 2D layers don't appear unless shadows are set to True for that layer, also inverted fall off power doesn't work anymore :(

Here you go; as you can see, cities are just fine:

http://imgur.com/a/q1pT9

Hmm how strange, it must be the memory bug you described, the one that effected cities until I Nathan converted them to DDS.. which is what I did to that terrain texture?

Has anyone else encountered this? Not really sure what to suggest, and why it's happening to that 2k but not the 8k clouds, or 4k city, and only on your end? Maybe you could try re-sizing or cropping? sorry

Edited by pingopete

Now I used the earthsurface.png and re-sized it. Now its just fine.. weird but I seem to be the only one affected so I wouldn't worry about it :)

It's even stranger that's what fixed it :L ?! I will go through and make reduced resolution versions of all large textures at some point in the future.

3/12/14 Dev changes:

http://imgur.com/a/cHFVj

Tested again. Still that same problem. After launching from ground to space everything looks fine, but upon reloading the atmosphere/clouds disappear in a fisheye like effect under the ship in LEO.

Not sure why..

Everything else looks so amazing. :)

Tested again. Still that same problem. After launching from ground to space everything looks fine, but upon reloading the atmosphere/clouds disappear in a fisheye like effect under the ship in LEO.

Not sure why..

Everything else looks so amazing. :)

Is that when reloading PQS (Land-KermanLine) or ScaledSpace (LEO and above) atmosphere and clouds? sounds like a camera clipping issue

Is that when reloading PQS (Land-KermanLine) or ScaledSpace (LEO and above) atmosphere and clouds? sounds like a camera clipping issue

It's LEO 200KM above. Yeh, it's like camera clipping issue, but only happens after reloading. I tried to adjust the camera far near planes with that ALT tool but no luck.

It's LEO 200KM above. Yeh, it's like camera clipping issue, but only happens after reloading. I tried to adjust the camera far near planes with that ALT tool but no luck.

Ah actually I think I remember this issue. It happens if you go straight to ScaledSpace (i.e. via tracking center then to vehicle view) before loading something at KSC first. I may for the time being just have to always go to a plane on runway, rocket at launchpad etc before switching to stuff already in space, see if that fixes it (as a temp fix obvious I need to address this properly still though)

Ah actually I think I remember this issue. It happens if you go straight to ScaledSpace (i.e. via tracking center then to vehicle view) before loading something at KSC first. I may for the time being just have to always go to a plane on runway, rocket at launchpad etc before switching to stuff already in space, see if that fixes it (as a temp fix obvious I need to address this properly still though)

Haha, I think that sounds like something wrong in my code ;)

So I've been beating my head against the wall for the last several hours trying to install the new update, and was wondering if you guys might know what I'm doing wrong. ;)

On initial load into the space center, the cloud textures appear to load in just fine, but the terrain, planet, and space center are missing (first image). When I exit to the main menu and load the save up again, the ground textures and planet appear to be loaded in just fine, but the clouds become completely white (second image).

I've tried as many different combinations of installing as I could think of (RSS 8.2.1, RSS 8.3, the new DDS RVE, the previous non-DDS RVE release, which did work before) but I must be missing something somewhere. I don't think it's a memory issue, as I've tried it without any other mods, with the same results.

Anyway, was just hoping one of you guys might recognize this problem. I'm sure I just have some DLL's crossed somewhere, or something like that. If not, I'll keep trial-and-error'ing stuff until I get it working.

Thanks in advance for any input ;)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I put RVE and EVE into my gamedata, but there are problems... The ground is white, when not on the orbit textures, and no clouds or enhancements show up... do I need the boulder files? What am I doing wrong? I really hope I can get this working :) It would be nice to have detailed installation instructions for the stable release. Current Mods: vPk0Rvk.png

It looks like I'm gonna have to try a frsh install of RVE myself, sorry about this guys.

RVE folder should just sit in your gameData folder as is. Env..Vis..En. folder should also go there but that isn't essential just to correct the volumetric cloud separation distance.

You've got all the latest .Dll's for EVE right?

BoulderCo folder shouldn't be necessary except to hold the ATM configs.

Tried to switch to a rocket in launchpad and back to orbit, but still same problem.

Really it seems the clipped atmosphere doesn't always occur but instead it depends on the orientation of the orbit and your position in it, so if you time warp the problem comes and goes. Also perhaps it only happens after switching vessels several times while in LEO.

PS: Tested between two sats in the same orbital inclination of the moon.

Edited by Beduino

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.