[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,061 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

Been inactive in the forums and for a long time since moving for university in October last year , but I'ts time to get back up to date with all the glorious mods out there and play some more KSP again (Only 120+ hours playing time.. I should be ashamed of myself xD) Just wanted to drop by here and just leave some more compliments for your outstanding work you achieved so far. I hope I can come by for a visit on your thread a bit more often now XD Oh and also, you probably won't see this before you're back, but enjoy your stay in Malaysia :D

Thanks man, and everyone for the comments, Malaysia was sweet! Still recovering from the 22 hour journey and aborted take off halfway down the runway. Also some profound inspiration for city night textures ;D while observing city lights in all their glory over Tehran at 30,000 ft - freekin' incredible, I can only imagine what they look like from space..

Anyways I promised photos..

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Noticed that the night textures for the city don't match the daytime texture.

So I had a play and ended up with this

These match the daytime texture, exactly. Not sure about the colouring even though it's taken from hi level imagery so is 'technically' accurate, though not necessarily in the correct positions.

Oh, my first ever post btw, sorry for the large pictures.

Here's hoping that this and other awesome mods go from strength to strength.

Those look great, nice tiling also it's very inconspicuous! With your permission I'd probably like to use these in future versions?

This picture has been circulating the subreddit, and The People want to know what mod it is from, so I told them it looked like this mod. Is it?

http://i.imgur.com/WSMYmF4.jpg

I think it's faked although this is theoretically possible with unity, also rbray was hoping to include scattering effects in his EVE Overhaul mod as part of the existing haze shader.

Welcome back! Trip looks awesome. :)

Finally fixed the camera stuff, btw--though Agathorn and stratochief found that you need to set farclip of the close camera to be equal to nearclip of the farther one (i.e. both 300 or both 2278) or bad things happen.

Welcome back!

This mod is incredibly appealing, and I want to add this beautiful mod to my 0.90 KSP RSS playthrough. If there is any way that any of us could get even a barely usable version of this visual mod, maybe even an experimental version, please let us have it! I am dying to use it. Been looking forward to using this mod since I first found it, and I am excited to see where it goes.

Welcome back, Pingopete! Im now tempted to try and see Malaysia myself, heh. Hopefully I can at least fly over it in RSS KSP soon anyway

:P yeah I'll do my best with textures ;) hopefully biome controlled textures should help bring individuality to varuous parts of the globe.

Welcome back! Trip looks awesome. :)

Finally fixed the camera stuff, btw--though Agathorn and stratochief found that you need to set farclip of the close camera to be equal to nearclip of the farther one (i.e. both 300 or both 2278) or bad things happen.

Ah nice, and yeah that makes sense, I'll have a go soon hopefully no more flashing/clipping planets from space!

Can you make the RSS clouds look like the clouds in that first pic? :P Glad you got back.

I can try.. ;) thanks

Welcome back!

This mod is incredibly appealing, and I want to add this beautiful mod to my 0.90 KSP RSS playthrough. If there is any way that any of us could get even a barely usable version of this visual mod, maybe even an experimental version, please let us have it! I am dying to use it. Been looking forward to using this mod since I first found it, and I am excited to see where it goes.

https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-0.90

Those look great, nice tiling also it's very inconspicuous! With your permission I'd probably like to use these in future versions?

Hi Pete, glad you had a great holiday :)

Glad you liked what I've done thus far, I'm still playing with the textures and have redone them a little to make the tiling look a little better. I'll put some piccy's up for you to look over when I feel that they are worth looking at. Once done, if you like them you are more than welcome to use whatever you like, I after all, have just played with what you've given me :)

Welcome back!

Other than a minor issue with the low cloud (which really is nothing) this is more than playable, to be honest I don't get what people have been complaining about.

Hi Pete, glad you had a great holiday :)

Glad you liked what I've done thus far, I'm still playing with the textures and have redone them a little to make the tiling look a little better. I'll put some piccy's up for you to look over when I feel that they are worth looking at. Once done, if you like them you are more than welcome to use whatever you like, I after all, have just played with what you've given me :)

Nice, I actually have a photoshop project (>8k) for a fully homprehencive/high contrast matching day/night city texture based off vagas. I haven't had the time to do much but if you're interested I'd be more than happy to hand it over to you if you fancied working on it?? Just let me know.

Oooooh sweet!

If it frees up you time to use elsewhere then throw it at me, I'll have a play, keeps me sane and stops me embarrassing the kids by gate crashing their online games ;)

Haha ok im away from my pc currently but will be back on Tuesday so will send the project your ways then!

Also got a 40k real earth city night texture but obviously that level isn't yet doable in ksp through one texture. There was some talk of using cube textures allowing 16-32k on behalf of rss but presumably this hasn't returned any results as of yet (I haven't heard anything yet) if it does though it'll be a game changer especially for RSS :)

Edited by pingopete

Haha ok im away from my pc currently but will be back on Tuesday so will send the project your ways then!

Also got a 40k real earth city night texture but obviously that level isn't yet doable in ksp through one texture. There was some talk of using cube textures allowing 16-32k on behalf of rss but presumably this hasn't returned any results as of yet (I haven't heard anything yet) if it does though it'll be a game changer especially for RSS :)

That sounds really awesome! Unfortunately it also sounds like it would hit the 32 bit limit pretty quickly.

I'm curios, what resolution do you play KSP in? I recently got a 4k monitor, and while I love how much screen space I have with KSP in 4k, I also had quite a bit of trouble reading some of the small text UI elements. I would abolsolutely love to see this gigantic texture on Earth in 4k.

That sounds really awesome! Unfortunately it also sounds like it would hit the 32 bit limit pretty quickly.

I'm curios, what resolution do you play KSP in? I recently got a 4k monitor, and while I love how much screen space I have with KSP in 4k, I also had quite a bit of trouble reading some of the small text UI elements. I would abolsolutely love to see this gigantic texture on Earth in 4k.

That's nuts, mere mortal over here using a 1080p ;)

ha yeah it would be incredible though you could get the same level of resolution for screen space using the detail textures in RVE which give the entire globe a theoretical cloud resolution far far greater than 8k with the downside of repetition obviously (it's effectively an 8k cloud texture tiled around the globe about 10-15 times)

You should get space engine and view earth - you can get a 64k cloud texture and 128k land texture for that :o

Edited by pingopete

What's the status on the camera clipping issue? Is that something that can be fixed with EVE in its present state?

Also... There's the issue of no ground texture. Just a huge wall of fog all the way to the surface of the Moon and apparently Mars.

Crashed right into the ground because I couldn't see it. Now I was able to fix it on the moon by editing a fade distance, but msy have ruined your EVE work in the process. And another issue without the fog is the ground seems very gritty looking and vibrates quite significantly.

The camera clipping is the big issue however. It's impossible to enjoy your work on any planet other then Earth because the camera clips it all away after a certain distance. If I wanted to enjoy the beauty of mars ( and I'm guessing any other body I travel too ) I have to enter the atmosphere then exit back to scaled space for the clipping issue to go away.

Edited by Motokid600

Impressive mod, not sure if I could run it. One thing: why this obsession with making everything in the Kerbal system look like our own solar system? It's an alien world, with alien beings, in a completely different solar system, for all we know in a completely different galaxy. They are aliens! Why not embrace this difference instead of trying to make them conform? The laws of physics are universal, so light bouncing off an atmosphere will look the same wherever you happen to be in the universe, whether it's Eve or Earth. You can have realism without it having to directly relate to what we know as real life.

Impressive mod, not sure if I could run it. One thing: why this obsession with making everything in the Kerbal system look like our own solar system? It's an alien world, with alien beings, in a completely different solar system, for all we know in a completely different galaxy. They are aliens! Why not embrace this difference instead of trying to make them conform? The laws of physics are universal, so light bouncing off an atmosphere will look the same wherever you happen to be in the universe, whether it's Eve or Earth. You can have realism without it having to directly relate to what we know as real life.

This is a visual pack for RSS, the real solar system with Earth etc. Why make the real solar system look alien? We have astronomer's pack, KSPRC etc. for that.

It's exclusively for RSS. Not the kerbin system.

It's exclusively for RSS. Not the kerbin system.

Not totally true, I run RVE and EVE on a standard KSP build. Kerbin looks awesome with all the ground textures etc. :)

I would recommend a little program called ReShade/SweetFX though. Helps I think.

Thanks for sharing, this could be the fix for atmospheric haze I've been waiting on to reboot RVE development! :)

I've tried running Scatterer with RVE and thus far they don't seem to like playing in the same sand pit. On either a standard KSP (Kerbin) build or on a RSS build.

That may just be my complete ineptitude though. :P

I've tried running Scatterer with RVE and thus far they don't seem to like playing in the same sand pit. On either a standard KSP (Kerbin) build or on a RSS build.

That may just be my complete ineptitude though. :P

No worries, rbray is continuing with his atmosphere shader which imho is somewhat better than scatterer in that there are far more controls for the haze effects such as fall of range and rates, despite currently lacking scattering effects. IIRC he was hoping to include these anyway :)

BTW I'm uploading the city project files now, and will send them over when done - 4 hours remaining D:

Edited by pingopete

No worries, rbray is continuing with his atmosphere shader which imho is somewhat better than scatterer in that there are far more controls for the haze effects such as fall of range and rates, despite currently lacking scattering effects. IIRC he was hoping to include these anyway :)

BTW I'm uploading the city project files now, and will send them over when done - 4 hours remaining D:

Hinting at an rbray return?

Dangerous move pingo, prepare for the inbox swamp with "omgz rbray returnz!?!? Tell meez what he sayz!?!?!?!?!? :mad::(:cool::D:sticktongue:;.; "

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.