[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

The Apply-Bug should be fixed in mainline :)https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/tree/532caf83233fdc89a5399692106834a7ef2668e5

- - - Updated - - -

I Very much doubt there will be any visual improvements with the upgrade to U5. They have so much work already, and the features that U5 adds aren't very portable to whole-world effects.

Thank you, and I'm sorry didn't mean sound so critical about EVE mod earlier, I am ever so grateful for it, just somewhat unsure about the meanings of all the new exposed variables for atmospheres :P Do you know roughly which effect fall of scale and distance for ground haze? My sunsets are really high up even with the rest of the atmosphere lower?

1.1 is going to use Unity 5.0 per dev notes, so that's safe. :)

rbray, pingopete, great to see the updates. This truly makes RSS, it just doesn't feel Earthlike without it. :]

Thank you! I can't wait to get this out to the people! Will need to start using alternate sources for the textures though as I shouldn't really have ever been distributing GE derived ones :P

EDIT: Finally got the port to KSP 1.0.4 up on Github

(tried too last night but it was getting too late)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Check the readme before DL and expect bugs!

Note that this alters configs from RSS which are (as of last night) outdated - configs for RSS 10.0.2 NOT 10.1 - there might be bugs, I will update soon.

Edited by pingopete

Downloaded and ran. Even without detail textures working in scaled space, it looks fantastic, and there are noticeable improvements over older versions. Can't wait for the full update!

Thank you, and I'm sorry didn't mean sound so critical about EVE mod earlier, I am ever so grateful for it, just somewhat unsure about the meanings of all the new exposed variables for atmospheres :P Do you know roughly which effect fall of scale and distance for ground haze? My sunsets are really high up even with the rest of the atmosphere lower?

This is coming... I still have work to do, and I will need to publish a full help guide on all parameters (or perhaps a tool-tip or in-menu guide).

EDIT: Finally got the port to KSP 1.0.4 up on Github

(tried too last night but it was getting too late)

http://imgur.com/a/sBbhp

Check the readme before DL and expect bugs!

Note that this alters configs from RSS which are (as of last night) outdated - configs for RSS 10.0.2 NOT 10.1 - there might be bugs, I will update soon.

Great!

I have white continents (on startup screen) and pink water while playing. Did I miss something about configuration?

Hello

You have some dmg texture because you was try to convert wrong type what end 99% time badly aka to be more precise i will give you a example: open ShootingStarDetail.png in image editor what you use, what do u see ? it have transparent background ?!?!? k that if u will try to convert using dds4ksp it will be transform in a bad texture!!!

Make a test convert to dds > import dds to image editor & see what it will result, or if you have a dds view-er open & you see :)

K now texture what are distory during conversion are this:

EVE\Atmosphere\Textures\

Low.dds, AuroraMask.dds, Cirrus.dds, detailCirrus.dds

Hope you have original un convert :) idea is any texture what have transparency during conversion usual it end bad at list using dds4ksp same do some test with optimizer create by apipino, google apipino texture optimizer nexus & you will undestend about what i speak, i was not post link coz i not know if is alow to ...

soo before work more on pack fix texture :)

p.s. you not need to modifie this line cbNameLater = Earth in //cbNameLater = Earth from RSSKopernicus.cfg is working perfectly how it is ;) or at list was work on at test what i made few hour agow

& check rbray89 dev site it have a new version to :)

cya around

Hello

You have some dmg texture because you was try to convert wrong type what end 99% time badly aka to be more precise i will give you a example: open ShootingStarDetail.png in image editor what you use, what do u see ? it have transparent background ?!?!? k that if u will try to convert using dds4ksp it will be transform in a bad texture!!!

Make a test convert to dds > import dds to image editor & see what it will result, or if you have a dds view-er open & you see :)

K now texture what are distory during conversion are this:

EVE\Atmosphere\Textures\

Low.dds, AuroraMask.dds, Cirrus.dds, detailCirrus.dds

Hope you have original un convert :) idea is any texture what have transparency during conversion usual it end bad at list using dds4ksp same do some test with optimizer create by apipino, google apipino texture optimizer nexus & you will undestend about what i speak, i was not post link coz i not know if is alow to ...

soo before work more on pack fix texture :)

p.s. you not need to modifie this line cbNameLater = Earth in //cbNameLater = Earth from RSSKopernicus.cfg is working perfectly how it is ;) or at list was work on at test what i made few hour agow

& check rbray89 dev site it have a new version to :)

cya around

The shooting star texture has a huge line at its seem, I totally forgot to remove it before upload; will do!

To open/modify/make .dds textures I use the nvidia plugin for adobe photoshop.

The RSS kopernicus ccNameLater line is already commented out in my last push?

Thanks for that, didn't realise it had been updated :)

shooting star texture file i use like example to make undestend what happen if you will try to convert a texture like that in to dds, that it not matter or is not the real issue of problem, but i think best it will be to make a printscrean to let u see what's the problem with dmg texture :) i will update this post in few min

atm i was play with u'r cfg file to undestend what you doo special in RVE.cfg anyway print screan in progress brb

---- Update ----

9sa74op.jpg

Edited by Blacks

shooting star texture file i use like example to make undestend what happen if you will try to convert a texture like that in to dds, that it not matter or is not the real issue of problem, but i think best it will be to make a printscrean to let u see what's the problem with dmg texture :) i will update this post in few min

atm i was play with u'r cfg file to undestend what you doo special in RVE.cfg anyway print screan in progress brb

---- Update ----

http://i.imgur.com/9sa74op.jpg

Yeah it's to do with the way dds's are default saved/opened with a white background on PS. Go to select, find the attribute you want then invert selection and delete to leave clouds, but please don't redistribute these, those cloud textures took several weeks to make!

ups soo when a texture have a transparent background & it is convert to dds that transparency goo to default white ? then forget all what i say early about dmg texture :) my bad :)

Relax i not plan to release nothing or distribute something all what i doo is to help or pin point to something what is posible bad ... sometime is posible to make a silly mistake like white default dds conversion :D ... Idea is alway's when i set hand on a mod first thing what i doo i target texture & i smash with them on ground till i set on rezolution what i like to optimize them for less ram usage aka if i see a texture what have 44.739 Mb instant i enter in combat mod: IF it is dds i import in PS save to png => recheck result to be sure is ok => get png file in dds4ksp => convert to dds with size what i want => recheck final result & compare with original, sometime i use aplication done by Apipino for optimize direct DDS but i not trust thing what done automatically, with out have a direct control

After i smash to ground with all u'r texture i end have from EVE = 57.1 Mb what it will be more easy to handle by game with less stress on RAM usage

anyway sorry for my silly mistake :) back to decript u'r config file to undestend how it work :)

p.s. i will look in u'r earth surface texture to check if have same problem like original from RSS texture pack aka missing land after was use special layer, what i try to correct but it take time special when i work with x3200 zoom :D

sorry agen & back to smashing texture, pixel :)

Hello agen i have some feedback after i play with u'r WIP 1.0.4 test release:

You in RSSKopernicus.cfg file was change this line cbNameLater = Earth with //cbNameLater = Earth, me i let original file what was came with RSS pack v.10.1 aka cbNameLater = Earth, if u was modified other thingy inside there i was not succeed to see coz are to many possibility inside :)

In RVE.cfg i modified 2 thing basically replace Kerbin name with Earth:

@REALSOLARSYSTEM:FOR[RVE]

{

%useKeypressClip = false

@Kerbin < this i replace with > Earth

2. next what i done

@PQS

{

@Kerbin < this i replace with > Earth

After i done all change when i load game all what is in RVE.cfg it work perfectly RVE/RSS/EarthColor, GameData/RVE/RSS/PluginData/EarthSurface.dds are fully load in to game BUT what i not succeed to make is new Eve.O to load texture, were i encounter 2 type of result (i will make reference to cityLights.cfg to be more easy to explain & for faster test):

1. So in cityLights.cfg name Kerbin i will replace with Earth result this:

EVE_CITY_LIGHTS

{

Earth

{

cityLightsMaterial

{

_CityOverlayTex = RVE/EVE/CityLights/Textures/main

_CityOverlayDetailScale = 250

_CityDarkOverlayDetailTex = RVE/EVE/CityLights/Textures/detail2

_CityLightOverlayDetailTex = RVE/EVE/CityLights/Textures/detaillight

}

}

}

If i load game > open Eve Manager (alt +e) all it look fine, all code line is there but texture it refuse to be load (apply button > debug window alt +f2 exception are show instant)

2. I let cityLights.cfg default how you was set aka with Kerbin name, well now it came funy part in Eve Manager (alt +e) on city lights section noo more value to seen, nothing empty section !!!! aka what show option 1 is better vs option 2

Now way texture are refuse to be load & exception are generate in both case is beyond my undestending, but most important fact is play with Earth name is possible with RSS v.10.1 but something is missing from ... What i describe cityLights.cfg option same thing is happens with rest of config file, terrain or clouds (only clouds some code not mach with new version & it thing get messy but that is not real issue :). I was prefer to work on citylights coz everything what is inside is simple & result it can be show instant aka if that it work then rest it will work to ...

About nasty bug what you was speak on orbit, oooo yes is very nasty one !!!!! random item it get instant max temperature & explode!!! but that it my be possible to happen because u was change sun value see RVE.cfg for that better ask Nat for fix or help :) or is be related to Kopernicus problem with solar panel not working correctly & in this combination to be opposite effect ... is just a supposition, that part is to much for me

hope this to help in future release :) & is anything what i can help poke & i see what i can doo :)

Trying out some awesome new features added by rbray to EVE including cloud detail shadow

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Just trying to catch up here. Been away from home for a couple weeks. For pingopete's latest build, are city lights working and do clouds appear on Venus?

City lights should work, and no, I'm afraid I haven't got around to working on other planets properly just yet

hehe then u will have a lot work to doo special Eve Manager UI missing some thing or was remove, change

Just make sure u get RSS v.10.1 + Kopernicus Beta (0.2.2) - July 7 - Hotfix (my be you will not get that nasty bug in orbit :P ) when i remove u'r RVE.cfg from testing all was fine in orbit, but's ok it suppose bad thing to happen in a develope pre... stage :) i was amuse :) switch to comsat 1 puff battery swich to comsat 2 puff other random part it was like popcorn in microwave :D

Me i smell rbray89 it cooking a new version :D :D :D at list me i hope that coz dx11 for me is not working & opengl is partial ok .... i think u was already seen screenshot done from my test

anyway i am lurking around

hehe then u will have a lot work to doo special Eve Manager UI missing some thing or was remove, change

Just make sure u get RSS v.10.1 + Kopernicus Beta (0.2.2) - July 7 - Hotfix (my be you will not get that nasty bug in orbit :P ) when i remove u'r RVE.cfg from testing all was fine in orbit, but's ok it suppose bad thing to happen in a develope pre... stage :) i was amuse :) switch to comsat 1 puff battery swich to comsat 2 puff other random part it was like popcorn in microwave :D

Me i smell rbray89 it cooking a new version :D :D :D at list me i hope that coz dx11 for me is not working & opengl is partial ok .... i think u was already seen screenshot done from my test

anyway i am lurking around

The EVE GUI was only missing because the version of EVE distributed on Github is pre-KSP 1.x. Those pics are of the latest EVE build in KSP 1.0.4 so most things like that work :)

..And that bug is definitively associated with that RVE github release?

Why is that a problem? It might become a feature.

Please read the instructions on the github readme about not bug reporting or complaining on the thread

Using an MD file for readmes might be confusing to some people, its rather unusual.

Just looking for a clarification of installation instructions, because I wasn't able to get city lights to work for latest github release with latest RSS and KSP 1.0.4

"Requirements: RSS 10.0.2 EVE .Dlls provided here No other cloud configs present in gamedata e.g. like in BoulderCo folder."

Does that mean I need RSS AND EVE installed first? Or just RSS?

Thanks.

Just looking for a clarification of installation instructions, because I wasn't able to get city lights to work for latest github release with latest RSS and KSP 1.0.4

"Requirements: RSS 10.0.2 EVE .Dlls provided here No other cloud configs present in gamedata e.g. like in BoulderCo folder."

Does that mean I need RSS AND EVE installed first? Or just RSS?

Thanks.

He said that EVE .Dlls provided here

So you need only RSS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.