[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

12 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Right now. It just requires trimming things down so you don't run out of RAM.

The only 8k texture is the city light mask, but as night lights don't currently work with scatterer/eve you could just remove the whole CityLights folder in RVE (also removing day time cities mind) or just half the res of the city mask in PS, or gimp or whatever. Other than that just RSS planet textures which are optionally sized anyways :)

Edited by pingopete

57 minutes ago, CrazyCanadian said:

What did i do wrong, or are these known bugs. got it working except the atmosphere seems wrong from the lower altitudes. skybox is off too?

oMH3UCB.jpg

This is an old version, the lines in the clouds is a known issue, also you need to hit apply in the EVE GUI (Alt+E)

5 minutes ago, pingopete said:

This is an old version, the lines in the clouds is a known issue, also you need to hit apply in the EVE GUI (Alt+E)

yeah i just noticed your requirements are 1.0.4 .. is that what you mean? i have 1.0.5 . is there a new version of your mod that i need or do i just need to revert to ksp 1.0.4 and re install to fix this? 

Just now, CrazyCanadian said:

yeah i just noticed your requirements are 1.0.4 .. is that what you mean? i have 1.0.5 . is there a new version of your mod that i need or do i just need to revert to ksp 1.0.4 and re install to fix this? 

I meant the version of RVE you're using is old. I haven't updated the 'up-to-date' RVE version for windows, to 1.0.5 yet but I have done the linux version, although that's probably too much for a x32 ksp install! I doubt the version of RVE you're running would work well on KSP 1.0.5, but you could try it :)

1 minute ago, pingopete said:

I meant the version of RVE you're using is old. I haven't updated the 'up-to-date' RVE version for windows, to 1.0.5 yet but I have done the linux version, although that's probably too much for a x32 ksp install! I doubt the version of RVE you're running would work well on KSP 1.0.5, but you could try it :)

alrighty, i think i have it figured out.. lol. your saying its not ready, go back to ksp 1.0.4 for an RSS build! :) 

are you planning to do 1.0.5 for windows or just wait on the 1.1 release..... it looks like its very soon.

@NathanKell might you be able to commit a config node in rve.cfg that would include these? I'm never too successful at adding new code to configs :P

ScaledVersion settings:

fadeStart = 99000
            fadeEnd = 100000

and my PQS settings:

deactivateAltitude = 100000
            fadeStart = 100000
            fadeEnd = 100000

@pingopetefortunately, these parameters already exist on the RSS version of Kopernicus, so the only thing that you have to do it to patch them:

@Body[Kerbin]
{
    @ScaledVersion
    {
        @fadeStart = 99000
        @fadeEnd = 100000
    }

@PQS
    {
        @deactivateAltitude = 100000
        @fadeStart = 100000
        @fadeEnd = 100000
    }
}

Insert this to the RVE.cfg, as with the solar light patching.

You have done an exceptional job with RVE. Thumbs up!

Spoiler

<IMAGE REMOVED  BY USER>

Edited by Phineas Freak
Remove image link

As @Phineas Freak says. :)

@pingopete however you really shouldn't be setting the fade start and ends to the same number. At least do like a 10m difference or something. And deactivate altitude should be a good bit higher than fade end. This is so, coming down, the PQS exists by the time it's faded in. That's important. :]

6 hours ago, NathanKell said:

As @Phineas Freak says. :)

@pingopete however you really shouldn't be setting the fade start and ends to the same number. At least do like a 10m difference or something. And deactivate altitude should be a good bit higher than fade end. This is so, coming down, the PQS exists by the time it's faded in. That's important. :]

Ahh I hadn't thought of coming back down, this makes sense. I saw stratocheifs video showing this setup when assending and it looked alright will test going back down first before including this 

5 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

Also, do not be afraid of using the Linux version under windows. It is possible to make it work (with OpenGL - i can manage to run a beefed-up version of RVE with all the required/recommended mods and enough of the suggested mods to make RP-0 a real joy to play

Yeah it would seem it's more possible than I'd previously thought especially since I scrubbed all the unused textures from the Linux repo :)

6 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@pingopetefortunately, these parameters already exist on the RSS version of Kopernicus, so the only thing that you have to do it to patch them:

@Body[Kerbin]
{
    @ScaledVersion
    {
        @fadeStart = 99000
        @fadeEnd = 100000
    }

@PQS
    {
        @deactivateAltitude = 100000
        @fadeStart = 100000
        @fadeEnd = 100000
    }
}

Insert this to the RVE.cfg, as with the solar light patching.

You have done an exceptional job with RVE. Thumbs up!

Reveal hidden contents

rve_demonstration.png

Wicked! Thanks, you'd be amazed how easily I struggle with even the most simple tasks ;P

18 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

Also, do not be afraid of using the Linux version under windows. It is possible to make it work (with OpenGL - i can manage to run a beefed-up version of RVE with all the required/recommended mods and enough of the suggested mods to make RP-0 a real joy to play

Is there a place one can acquire this new version?

@LucidPixelsi guess i could provide that specific version but:

1. Even if the license allows it, i am not sure if it would be ethical to redistribute a version of RVE.
2. People may think that it is a pre-release. If issues arise, @pingopete will then have to deal with them.
3. It is a personal project so no support of any way would be provided.

On 15/02/2016 at 3:07 AM, Phineas Freak said:

It is possible to make it work (with OpenGL - i can manage to run a beefed-up version of RVE with all the required/recommended mods and enough of the suggested mods to make RP-0 a real joy to play

This.. i -forceopengl in steam and never have an issue running any mod i want ever again.. been doing this for at least 6 months. right now im using 1.8GB of ram running this with all RO RSS components and more.. added chatterer etc... no ram issues. some see a frame rate hit but i never have witnessed it. But i also have to force this game to run in a pop up window because it locks up on fullscreen.. may be this mod, not sure, never been an idssue until now.

The only out-of-place things I'm seeing in the mod is some z-fighting in the clouds in some select patches at high altitudes (below 100,000), city textures in the ocean, and a tiny bit of z fighting on the coastlines. Other than that, this mod looks stupendous on windows 64 bit workaround! Better than looking at cloud-less 'jelly-Earth'!

Edited by Airsquid

So i've have not been able to install this successfully, it crashes whilst loading the cloud textures. I have followed the instructions as best I can but i find them quite vague, for instance why do you need EVE as a required install if your just going to overwrite it when you copy the file of the same name in the RVE folder into gamedata?

2 hours ago, Xblackmamba said:

So i've have not been able to install this successfully, it crashes whilst loading the cloud textures. I have followed the instructions as best I can but i find them quite vague, for instance why do you need EVE as a required install if your just going to overwrite it when you copy the file of the same name in the RVE folder into gamedata?

You're more than likely running out of memory if it's crashing on texture loading. You need the EVE plugins as a required file, not the texture and config files rbray has.

On 2/18/2016 at 9:16 PM, Nhawks17 said:

You're more than likely running out of memory if it's crashing on texture loading. You need the EVE plugins as a required file, not the texture and config files rbray has.

Thank you for answering, but I don't think its memory, as i'm running in opengl, but I still don't understand, what folders from EVE master do I need in my gamedata?  

4 hours ago, Xblackmamba said:

Thank you for answering, but I don't think its memory, as i'm running in opengl, but I still don't understand, what folders from EVE master do I need in my gamedata?  

While OpenGL does lessen the amount of RAM used by the game, it is still possible to crash because of the RAM limit. If you got a crash folder posting the log in there would be useful. The only folder from the EVE master you would need is the EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements folder, the BoulderCo folder is not needed.

Hey there,

I can't get the warm orange  sunset and sunrise glows that I get from scatterer and the planet from space docent have the blue tinge that I get from scatterer as well. It works fine on its own its just when I ass RVE I can't access the menu and any features from the mod stop working. Is this a know issue??

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.