[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,061 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

17 hours ago, pingopete said:

Some early planet testing, also trying some new flare effects and subtle lens dirt using the scatterer sunflare feature. Haven't been able to get terrain textures working yet at all, and seem to have hit some kind of weird limit/bug when adding cloud layers to certain planets (non-stock e.g. Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus) @NathanKell @rbray89 that causes the game to get stuck at the space center screen :/

:o Any chance I could get the Saturn ring texture? I've been looking for one to use on Jool in my Alternis Kerbol install, but I haven't been able to find a good one on google.

15 hours ago, winged said:

Nice job with Saturn's rings, Pete. I really missed them.

Yeah, I'd always planned on bringing them back at some point :) Only issue is the transparency which produces an unwanted multiply effect when a scatterer atmosphere is behind

EDIT: Also guys what's you opinion on Uranus, do you think it's too blue/ saturated? 'true' color images seem to vary quite a bit, with some being far more pale/less saturated.. ? Also the rings aren't in the right place yet, I need to get it adjusted right

Edited by pingopete

15 minutes ago, pingopete said:

Yeah, I'd always planned on bringing them back at some point :) Only issue is the transparency which produces an unwanted multiply effect when a scatterer atmosphere is behind

EDIT: Also guys what's you opinion on Uranus, do you think it's too blue/ saturated? 'true' color images seem to vary quite a bit, with some being far more pale/less saturated.. ? Also the rings aren't in the right place yet, I need to get it adjusted right

I mean, you're welcome to take a small bit of artistic liscence! :D 

Personally I think it looks good currently :) 

2 hours ago, pingopete said:

Keep in mind that the high-res pictures of Uranus were taken at the solstice, and may not be representative of it most of the time: viewed from Hubble 20 years later, it has cloud bands and looks more blue:

uranus_hubble_23_aug_2006_big.jpg

2 hours ago, skykooler said:

Keep in mind that the high-res pictures of Uranus were taken at the solstice, and may not be representative of it most of the time: viewed from Hubble 20 years later, it has cloud bands and looks more blue:

Also keep in mind that many published images are not true-colour but are enhanced in various ways to make some particular feature more or less prominent or were taken with filters other than the "natural" red/green/blue (e.g. infra-red, ultra-violet or narrow band filters to detect specific gases).

For example the above image was taken with green, red and infra-red filters (source) that were then assigned to blue, green and red channels for display.

Edited by Aelfhe1m
typo

Also, with EVE, I made it so the cloud layers can rotate on up to 3 axis, and an option to "kill" (negate) planetary rotation. What this means is that you could set an axis on X or Z with body rotation killed to create a Uranus style rotation.

Absolutely irresistible mod! Great work!

By the way, I'm trying to install the mod by placing the folders into Game Data for KSP version 1.0.5. However, it's not installing/adding the clouds to the Solar System planets: could you kindly show me how exactly do you install this amazing mod?

Thanks

8 hours ago, Aluminum Oxide said:

Absolutely irresistible mod! Great work!

By the way, I'm trying to install the mod by placing the folders into Game Data for KSP version 1.0.5. However, it's not installing/adding the clouds to the Solar System planets: could you kindly show me how exactly do you install this amazing mod?

Thanks

There are instructions, albeit a little difficult to find sometimes.

https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/tree/Linux64

https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/blob/Linux64/Readme.txt

If you're not playing in Linux, I would recommend you wait for a 1.1.2 compatible RVE release, as an aspiring RVE user.

On 4/28/2016 at 3:37 PM, pingopete said:

Jupiter with clouds!! Thanks again rbray

Wait, you can actually simulate the movement of the bands?!?!!!!! Beautiful, just absolutely jaw-dropping. Good luck on brushing it up for 1.1.2!

19 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

There are instructions, albeit a little difficult to find sometimes.

https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/tree/Linux64

https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/blob/Linux64/Readme.txt

If you're not playing in Linux, I would recommend you wait for a 1.1.2 compatible RVE release, as an aspiring RVE user.

Thanks for the instructions, but actually I have a mac version of KSP 1.0.5; but however I can easily update it to 1.1.2, so If I do that will this amazing mod work, along with the latest release of Real solar system?

Also, are there any installation instructions for versions 1.0.5 and 1.1.2

Thanks

HI! RVE not working in 1.1.2 :( I was install the mod, get to launch pad, pause the game and pressing ALT+E (for take EVE manager menu) but not happening :( I not have the menu EVE... So, I can`t run RVE :(

3 minutes ago, Irenicus said:

HI! RVE not working in 1.1.2 :( I was install the mod, get to launch pad, pause the game and pressing ALT+E (for take EVE manager menu) but not happening :( I not have the menu EVE... So, I can`t run RVE :(

GUI has moved to ALT+0

1 hour ago, Aluminum Oxide said:

Thanks for the instructions, but actually I have a mac version of KSP 1.0.5; but however I can easily update it to 1.1.2, so If I do that will this amazing mod work, along with the latest release of Real solar system?

Also, are there any installation instructions for versions 1.0.5 and 1.1.2

Thanks

Nope. RVE isn't updated for 1.1.2 yet. Best to wait. You can try to get it working yourself, but I wouldn't be able to help you with that. I'm patiently waiting for RVE to update :)

And don't expect help from pingopete. Would we rather have him help people one at a time install an old, not supported for 1.1.2 version, or would we rather give him his space and time to update RVE itself for all of us? 

Edited by stratochief66

I agree I was just wondering. The previous comment was confusing.  I did change the planet names in sve so at least I have clouds for now but they do not look good from low orbit. I don't think they are scaled right but I'm fairly new to this so I will just wait.  I'm just happy we finally have a stable 64bit game and everytime I see him post a pic of a new planet he is working on I get more excited. Keep up the good work. Thank you again.  I was not trying to rush you by any means. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.