[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

9 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I'm confused.

Well, from what I've gathered from that post is that you can force Dx11 and it should be fine to run scatterer too. However mileage will definitely vary, and you may suffer from problems, or get very little gain from using Dx11 anyway. Besides, with 1.1, reduced memory footprint and improving performance should no longer be an issue, surely?

Your last sentence, is it ironic?

I mean, to be honest, I'm new to this for just about 3 weeks, but 5 years of development and still this disgusting GC thang that makes the already low fps experience just worse by freezing every few seconds for a second?
When cancelling, going back to VAB and launching again, it's every few seconds for 2 seconds.

And yes, the DirectX11 only made the base overview 60 fps (was 20 before).
But in VAB it's still about 13 with my "too much parts" rocket - which needs the parts to be able to get into Earth orbit.

After launch? 9 fps. This is no fun - and all these bugs here and there, accumulating to a threat.

I guess it's the Unity engine.

Every game I know that runs on Unity is a bummer. A "I use 60% CPU and 40% GPU but still got only 10 fps" bummer.

26 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Your last sentence, is it ironic?

I mean, to be honest, I'm new to this for just about 3 weeks, but 5 years of development and still this disgusting GC thang that makes the already low fps experience just worse by freezing every few seconds for a second?
When cancelling, going back to VAB and launching again, it's every few seconds for 2 seconds.

And yes, the DirectX11 only made the base overview 60 fps (was 20 before).
But in VAB it's still about 13 with my "too much parts" rocket - which needs the parts to be able to get into Earth orbit.

After launch? 9 fps. This is no fun - and all these bugs here and there, accumulating to a threat.

I guess it's the Unity engine.

Every game I know that runs on Unity is a bummer. A "I use 60% CPU and 40% GPU but still got only 10 fps" bummer.

Hmm, sounds like you've got a problem. I guess, seeing as you're in this thread, you're running mods? Does the problem persist without mods (specifically this mod. It's not meant to work in the current version yet so) 

0P14oh6.jpg

As of recently, all astronauts on EVA are allocated a small amount of "awe time". It gives them the opportunity to tether their tools to just stop, and see. And boy, do they see.

30 minutes ago, ManuxKerb said:

Hello,

First: This is super super super great to see this working in 1.1.2

Secondly: I need to tweak my (scatter?) Settings????

I get this:

It seems you are launching game in DX11 mode, which causes this glitch in scatterer. Using DX9 fixed this for me.

Edited by Einkleinermensch

Just now, Einkleinermensch said:

It seems you are launching game in DX11 mode, which causes this glitch in scatterer. Using DX9 fixed this for me.

Hmm i'm on Linux so i suppose it uses OpenGL...

Where can i change that setting ?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by ManuxKerb

1 hour ago, ManuxKerb said:

Hmm i'm on Linux so i suppose it uses OpenGL...

Where can i change that setting ?

Thanks a lot!

Increment experimentalAtmoScale in scatterrer by .1 until it goes away

Edited by selfish_meme

17 hours ago, SkyKaptn said:

Last posts have been mostly about getting the linux branch to run on 1.12. Is RVE still under developement?

Well seen as I posted some development picks a few pages back I'd say yes. I'm also revising for exams so there's that. In the mean while there are various work arounds and nathankell has updated the linux branch, plus there's RSS visual enhancements take two if you're really impatient.

On 4.5.2016 at 4:54 PM, Rhavoreth said:

Make sure you install the latest version of scatterer and EVE first. You'll need V0.0244 of Scatterer and when you get EVE make sure you get the 'AnyCPU-EVE-Release.zip' version of EVE. You don't need the configs, that is what RVE does :). For reference you can get both of them here:

Scatterer: http://spacedock.info/mod/141/scatterer

EVE: https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/EVE-1.1-1

Next, install both of those as normal. What you need to do now is find the RVE release with scatterer configs included. I use the latest linux 64 version found

here: https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/tree/Linux64/

Drop the scatterer folder into the GameData, remember to copy and replace your 'planetsList.cfg'. Then drop the RVE folder into your GameData; this folder is the eve configs you'll need for it to work. Everything should work out of the box like that. No need to use Alt + 0 for anything. Just head to the tracking station to see if you've got clouds on Earth. I installed RSS using CKAN, EVE and Scatterer will have to be installed manually.

On 8.5.2016 at 1:28 AM, Blacks said:

Download this & see if it will fix your problem, from picture what you post it look like you try to use last new Eve release what is not anymore compatible with any old visual pack because new system what it use = new cubemap texture

https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/cbceb3b052ae73f9f9bb1dd12e045d814ac10188/AnyCPU-EVE.zip

Enjoy

So I followd these steps and I got no clouds. Then I copied the folders to a clean install backup where I'm running just RSS (8k textures) - and I got clouds. So I'm thinking there might be a conflict of some sort with another mod I'm running. Right now I'm restarting KSP with ModuleManager.ConfigCache deleted (takes forever to load... :-)), maybe that'll fix it - if not, does anyone know if one of these mods might be causing the conflict (included every mod I'm running, even if I could rule out a lot of them)?

Spoiler

Kopernicus
RSSTextures8192
KSCSwitcher
ModuleManager
RealSolarSystem
SmokeScreen
AdvancedJetEngine
RealFuels
FirespitterCore
SolverEngines
KerbalJointReinforcement
RealHeat
RealChute
RealismOverhaul
FerramAerospaceResearch
TACLS
RealPlume
DeadlyReentry
KSP-AVC
ProceduralFairings
InfernalRobotics
RemoteTech
CustomBarnKit
ContractConfigurator
ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech
CoherentContracts
VenStockRevamp
ProceduralParts
InfernalRobotics-LegacyParts
TweakScale
DMagicOrbitalScience
DockingPortAlignmentIndicator
KerbalAlarmClock
TextureReplacer
StarTrekRebootUniformPack
xScience
SCANsat
ContractConfigurator-ContractPack-SCANsat
MechJeb2
MechJebForAll
RP-0
CommunityTechTree
Toolbar
SXT
ModularFlightIntegrator
FirespitterResourcesConfig
TestFlight
CommunityResourcePack
TACLS-Config-RealismOverhaul
NearFutureElectrical-Core
NearFutureSolar-Core
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureElectrical
B9-PWings-Fork
NearFutureConstruction
NearFuturePropulsion
B9PartSwitch
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR
Scatterer
Scatterer-sunflare

3 hours ago, TeiwazVIE said:

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR

Delete any EVE, Scaterer, BoulderCo folders in GameData and try again. Grab this EVE (click) for RVE, wors fine for me. Scaterer and RVE links you already have. 

6 hours ago, vgamble said:

Delete any EVE, Scaterer, BoulderCo folders in GameData and try again. Grab this EVE (click) for RVE, wors fine for me. Scaterer and RVE links you already have. 

Tried that, didn't fix it. As I said, it's the same EVE, RVE & scatterer versions/folders/content that works in the KSP backup folder but not in the actual playthrough folder.

Also I found some strange line in the PlanetsList.cfg file:
celestialBodyName = Mars
transformName = Mars

Shouldn't that be something like "transformName = Eve" like in "celestialBodyName = Earth transformName = Kerbin"?

Edited by TeiwazVIE

44 minutes ago, TeiwazVIE said:

celestialBodyName = Mars
transformName = Mars

Shouldn't that be something like "transformName = Eve" like in "celestialBodyName = Earth transformName = Kerbin"?

Works fine for me. 

44 minutes ago, TeiwazVIE said:

Tried that, didn't fix it. As I said, it's the same EVE, RVE & scatterer versions/folders/content that works in the KSP backup folder but not in the actual playthrough folder.

I dont see any reasons why it dont work for you. Maybe you use force-opengl/d3d11? Sometimes one little thing messes all, and you cant see it right before your eyes :D 

2 hours ago, TeiwazVIE said:

celestialBodyName = Mars
transformName = Mars

Only Kerbin/Earth is a special case as the transformName for the home planet is hardcoded to Kerbin, all other planets can use their ingame name.

31 minutes ago, Bandit102 said:

RO + RSS?

Nope :) RSS, SMURFF, and an (arguably cheaty) MM patch to boost all engine ISPs by 70%. My reasoning is that's how I want to play my game :P 

13 hours ago, vgamble said:

Works fine for me. 

I dont see any reasons why it dont work for you. Maybe you use force-opengl/d3d11? Sometimes one little thing messes all, and you cant see it right before your eyes :D 

Me so stupid. Don't know why, but I was under the assumption that the BoulderCo folder is located in the scatterer folder... Deleted it, now I got clouds - and some sort of (semi-transparent) black rectangle shaped artifacts moving over my spaceport...

12 hours ago, blackrack said:

Only Kerbin/Earth is a special case as the transformName for the home planet is hardcoded to Kerbin, all other planets can use their ingame name.

I see, makes sense. Thx.

On ‎05‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 7:55 AM, ManuxKerb said:

Hello,

First: This is super super super great to see this working in 1.1.2

Secondly: I need to tweak my (scatter?) Settings????

I get this:

screenshot_2016_05_18_13_42_38.jpg

Any ideas what to tweak ?

Thanks!

Press Alt+F11 and go to ExperimentalAtmoScale and set it to 0.6. That will make the atmosphere in a realistic scale. Usually the blue part of the atmosphere is about 60 km in height.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:15 PM, JeeF said:

Untitled.jpg

Followed your steps to the letter and this is what Im getting. Texture settings on full, no BolderCo folder, 64bit fresh install. I do have other mods, so if you haven't seen this or it's not an obvious answer/fix, ignore this post.

I'm still getting the square clouds same as this. I applied

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:28 PM, Blacks said:

Download this & see if it will fix your problem, from picture what you post it look like you try to use last new Eve release what is not anymore compatible with any old visual pack because new system what it use = new cubemap texture

https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/cbceb3b052ae73f9f9bb1dd12e045d814ac10188/AnyCPU-EVE.zip

Enjoy

this version of EVE. All is well except those cubical textures. Was I by chance wrong to install the Linux branch of RVE on Win64?

Edited by Motokid600

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.