[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,061 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

@pingopete Any luck with getting your kopernicus terrain textures working? also I had a question about what they do exactly, can or does kopernicus apply textures to scaled space? as I was wondering if scaled space can be improved in anyway, like sharper edges or more noticeable detail from a 160km orbit to a 1000km orbit, or is that what EVE terrain textures did? which from my understanding and research is not working at the moment?. Sorry if this is annoying I just want to learn, ultimately I would like to help but I don't think I know enough to be of any use. I enjoy trying to make planets look as cool as possible, I spend hours messing around I find it's a lot of fun, also I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. 

Edited by ufindbatman

32 minutes ago, ufindbatman said:

@pingopete Any luck with getting your kopernicus terrain textures working? also I had a question about what they do exactly, can or does kopernicus apply textures to scaled space? as I was wondering if scaled space can be improved in anyway, like sharper edges or more noticeable detail from a 160km orbit to a 1000km orbit, or is that what EVE terrain textures did? which from my understanding and research is not working at the moment?. Sorry if this is annoying I just want to learn, ultimately I would like to help but I don't think I know enough to be of any use. I enjoy trying to make planets look as cool as possible, I spend hours messing around I find it's a lot of fun, also I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. 

Still working on it, don't think the kopernicus terrain detail applies to SS unfortunately (another awesome features of EVE's terrain system -  that isn't currently working). As for sharper edges no, not even with EVE's system sadly although I wondered if the cloud edge noise system that was temporarily added in EVE could be applied to the edges of land to make the blown up RSS scaled space terrain less blurred.. One way to over come this would be to make the PQS land persist to higher altitudes but you tend to get quite a bit of Z fighting doing this, especially on RSS. And it's not annoying at all, if you have the time I'd gladly welcome your efforts or any ideas you may have!

Cheers for the info Pingo. I was trying to get textures working through kopernicus for ages, then I thought it must not apply to scaled space. Yeah I figured it wasn't possible to sharpen edges or well at least for now it's not. I have currently found a cheap ghetto way around making scaled space look better, although it's not that great at the moment, it still needs a lot of testing. If I get it working I will show you, however I feel it may be too tacky lol. Ultimately I'm hoping rbray will pump some life back into EVE terrain. 

Edited by ufindbatman

Will there be any kind of option to "disable" volumetric clouds? For some reason, whenever I used to install the default EVE for Kerbin it would massacre my framerate. ≈80 to sub 30 for a small amount of wispy clouds.

-Scatterer had pretty much no performance impact.

--I run max settings @900p, FXAA as a MSAA substitute.

EDIT: Apparently my post is hidden. I've got a plethora of posts across various other sites, I'm not a bot : P

This is blatant discrimination against Monsters!

Edited by FierySwordswoman

6 hours ago, FierySwordswoman said:

Will there be any kind of option to "disable" volumetric clouds? For some reason, whenever I used to install the default EVE for Kerbin it would massacre my framerate. ≈80 to sub 30 for a small amount of wispy clouds.

-Scatterer had pretty much no performance impact.

--I run max settings @900p, FXAA as a MSAA substitute.

EDIT: Apparently my post is hidden. I've got a plethora of posts across various other sites, I'm not a bot : P

This is blatant discrimination against Monsters!

Yeah volumetrics are currently fairly cpu intensive but shouldn't have that much of an impact, it's pretty easy to remove the volumetrics using the Alt+0 menu :)

9 hours ago, pingopete said:

Yeah volumetrics are currently fairly cpu intensive but shouldn't have that much of an impact, it's pretty easy to remove the volumetrics using the Alt+0 menu :)

CPU Intensive? No game I own can put my load at 100%. Generally, literally any cpu-related effects can be maxed out for me with 0 performance loss. Even if, you're right that performance shouldn't be decreased by well over 50% Either KSP sucks at parallelization or my EVE install had insufficient avionics. --Running an i5 2400 @4x3.1ghz

I guess I'll just try it when RVE updates to 1.1.3 and disable stuff with this fabled 'alt 0' menu if need be. Thanks.

Spoiler

How many posts does it take to get to the 'not-a-bot' center of the KSP forums? Let's find out!

A-One!

A-Two!

2 hours ago, FierySwordswoman said:

CPU Intensive? No game I own can put my load at 100%. Generally, literally any cpu-related effects can be maxed out for me with 0 performance loss. Even if, you're right that performance shouldn't be decreased by well over 50% Either KSP sucks at parallelization or my EVE install had insufficient avionics. --Running an i5 2400 @4x3.1ghz

I guess I'll just try it when RVE updates to 1.1.3 and disable stuff with this fabled 'alt 0' menu if need be. Thanks.

Reveal hidden contents

How many posts does it take to get to the 'not-a-bot' center of the KSP forums? Let's find out!

A-One!

A-Two!

You asked for help so I offered some ideas, but no I don't have the issue you speak of so I wouldn't know exactly.  cpu/gpu either way the latest shading effects added to eve volumetrics can drop about 10-20 frames depending on the billboard density. And fabled eve menu? What's wrong with it? 

21 hours ago, ufindbatman said:

Cheers for the info Pingo. I was trying to get textures working through kopernicus for ages, then I thought it must not apply to scaled space. Yeah I figured it wasn't possible to sharpen edges or well at least for now it's not. I have currently found a cheap ghetto way around making scaled space look better, although it's not that great at the moment, it still needs a lot of testing. If I get it working I will show you, however I feel it may be too tacky lol. Ultimately I'm hoping rbray will pump some life back into EVE terrain. 

Yeah I can confirm now, kopernicus texture detail definitely doesn't work for SS, and I still can't get it to work at all in rss. I too hope rbray works on the terrain again, like everything that guy makes, it's better than any other alternative, especially how it allows in game tweaking which speeds up the modding process 10 fold (not having to restart to see any change). But I think he's been quite busy in irl for some time now 

20 minutes ago, pingopete said:

What's wrong with it?

??- Nothing's wrong with anything : D

I'll paraphrase: The performance hit is weird so I'm going to experiment a bit using the "Alt + 0" menu you mentioned.

Spoiler

A-One!

A-Two!

A-Three!

I jumped on the ksp train right when the 1.1.2 update came out, so I don't really know what EVE terrains capable of, was that what you were using to incorporate those google earth textures into ksp? because the pics looked absolutely incredible, also I was watching some of Monstro Games videos and your clouds look amazing, how did you get the dark cloud shadows so their more fluffy and 3d looking, at around 130km? they look like they float over the earth, like in this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvSq5KhhVUI. I want to shift back ksp now so I can have a look lol. Rbray has made some really awesome additions to ksp. I wish I knew how to create shaders well, so I could mess around a bit. Seems like it could take a while before I would gain the skills needed.

Edited by ufindbatman

1 minute ago, FallenPhoenixRA said:

I hope I don't sound like a complete dumb dumb but is my Log files the one that literally says Logs or what?  Just tell me which one it is please.

In the linked post scroll down to the section that says "1. The Logs" - the relevant file for Windows 64bit version is "<KSP>/KSP_x64_Data/output_log.txt"

There's this annoying shadow glitch (you can see it on the VAB, but it also occurs on large patches of the terrain) that seems to be caused by having the Scatterer folder in GameData, I'm guessing it can't be fixed?

MdfOJxM.png

edit: I think the Scatterer thread did mention this.

Terrain shadows might cause weird, moving patterns to appear across the landscape, adjust shadow bias and shadow normal bias to fix this

edit: except the version of Scatterer compatible with KSP v1.0.5 (downloaded via CKAN) does not have this option in the start menu.

edit: I managed to get it working in 1.1.3.

Edited by Pipcard

My Earth has no water when seen from within the atmosphere, but the texture is there on orbit and in map view. Testing and will post up a log when I finish this play session

Edited by Bev7787

So the linux64 branch has had a bunch of changes to it in prep for 1.1.x, and no actual download for 1.0.5 was made. Git will of course let me download an earlier version, but I don't know which one to get. Anybody have any idea of what particular day of the year it was working?

Edit: 4c2713a4532c9743fbd61a3f289725a5afd8f46a works.

Edited by Requia

5 minutes ago, Ramh5 said:

How do I get to "Download RVE "

I don't find any link for the  downloading RVE step in the installation process.

Didn't look at the OP did you? This may seem strange,  but,  it's in the OP.  To save you the trouble here:

https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/tree/Linux64?files=1

Also,  if you don't already know,  just throwing it into your gamedata folder won't work.  There is a process getting this to work in 1.1.3. Look back a few pages and you should come across how to install correctly. 

Ok doing what was suggested a couple pages ago, I got something to work (clouds and city lights).

But I have these messages in EVE manager, so I don't have any atmosphere or skybox:

No config! Please add a config with the content of "EVE_TEXTURE_CONFIG{}" to populate.

No config! Please add a config with the content of "EVE_ATMOSPHERE{}" to populate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.