[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,061 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

And here's why I'm so eager to test this out:

HxYNGgm.jpg

Yeargh. :(

And every time I get clouds sort of working, they'll break all on their own and then those settings I used no longer give me workable results. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Yeah, I really need some testers, who understand this isn't a 100% working release and report back problems. Would you be happy if I got one up now despite some serious problems with cloud shadows, and ground/space switching? It's very stable in the atmosphere and when fully in space, it just doesn't like going between.

If so I'll put up what I've got so far tonight :)

So, are you putting it up for download now? I'm just wondering if you are, and it's that I sometimes get impatient.

Yay for testing versions! Eager to see what settings you're using for the detail textures. I've been Frankensteining something together from Overhaul 9.3 and Kerbin Rennaisance today, but I've been unable to find settings for the detail texture that looked any good. Looking forward to giving this a try.

In time maybe but for now this is strictly realism focused, RSS will eventually become real planets by default anyway.

Regarding planet factory: I'm aware the DL's just gone down, let me know if you're having trouble loading without it, I'll convert the standard RSS config for this.

Guys you'll need Overhaul 9.2 not just 9, sorry, just updated the link.

Okay, i'll try it. (The RSS Visual mod, not planetfactory) And I'll tell you if there are any major bugs.

Ok man thanks!

Yay for testing versions! Eager to see what settings you're using for the detail textures. I've been Frankensteining something together from Overhaul 9.3 and Kerbin Rennaisance today, but I've been unable to find settings for the detail texture that looked any good. Looking forward to giving this a try.

I've made them myself, much higher resolution by about a factor of 10 :cool:

Yeah, I think if you actually were looking at the earth, your eye would adjust, it wouldn't be as faded. I've found increacing the contrast and brightness of most 3D games makes it look real as it represents the camera's view we'd typically see. But the colours aren't perfect yet for sure.

TheSonicGalaxy: Thanks dude, much wisdoms taken from you good sir :)

Well, the whole thing does not work with out planet factory, in fact, it breaks EVERYTHING. (Though i just started up the game looked at the broken main menu, an then quited)

The main menu looked like: (I accidentally pressed F12 and not F2)

There were no clouds, It was KERBIN, not the Earth in the sky (It seems as it didn't change any of the textures), and it looked exactly the same as the Stock main menu.

(I didn't have texture replacer, so the sky-box was still the same)

So you need to make a non-PlanetFactory version.

Being PlanetFactory-less, I get a white/red earth in the background at the main menu screen. When I start a new game and go to the KSC I get this:

Si7UPcU.jpg

A 20km hole in the world. Or the world was raised 20km. out of curiosity, would this be fixed if I deleted the RSS .obj files and let it recalculate them?

Edited by jrandom

Could you not get hold of planet factory?

Ok here's a non-PF RSS config

I couldn't find a download link, no. Just some closed forum threads.

I'll try out the new .cfg. Do I still need the PlanetFactory textures there? Or can I skip that?

Drat, I still get the 20km hole, and even with all my parts mods removed I still run out of memory if I delete the RSS .obj files and try to have it recalculate them. Could you possibly provide the .obj files you're using?

Update: I ripped out just about every non-stock thing that had parts, and I think that's put me under the RSS-generation memory threshold. We'll see! If this thing manages to not crash I'll let you know how it turns out.

Edited by jrandom

Pretty nice job Pingopete! I love the soft look of the clouds and the views from scaled space are astonishing!

I do have a suggestion however, with your current setup you fade out the atmosphere via 3 layers. These layers just kind of "pop up" as you fly through them which is rather jarring. I also get the feeling that those 3 layers are a bit of a preformance hog (though this might just be the combination of cirrus and normal clouds).

I'd just roll with a single layer with settings something like this:

1AYj64e.jpg

These settings should make the transition to the washed out look a bit smoother. I spitballed these values, so they'll probably need some further tweaking, but it removes some weird lines I got on the horizon and makes the transition smoother.

Pretty nice job Pingopete! I love the soft look of the clouds and the views from scaled space are astonishing!

I do have a suggestion however, with your current setup you fade out the atmosphere via 3 layers. These layers just kind of "pop up" as you fly through them which is rather jarring. I also get the feeling that those 3 layers are a bit of a preformance hog (though this might just be the combination of cirrus and normal clouds).

I'd just roll with a single layer with settings something like this:

http://imgur.com/1AYj64e.jpg

These settings should make the transition to the washed out look a bit smoother. I spitballed these values, so they'll probably need some further tweaking, but it removes some weird lines I got on the horizon and makes the transition smoother.

Thanks, it is a dilemma I'm aware of :/ You can reduce the effect entirely by setting the FadeScale to 0.0000002 or less however this leaves the sky above black when ASL, I did try working around it but nothing else really did much. Again it's to do with the enormous scale of RSS, EVE is intrinsically designed for stock ksp scales, EVE packs for them can leave the values higher (lighter skies) and still have no visual disturbance when moving through these layers :(

SUCCESS!! Woo!

So, turns out that regenerating the .obj files is crucial. You'll want to include that in your instructions. :) Unfortunately, I was never able to get KSP 64-bit working, although I spent two entire days trying. :(

Okay, comments! There's some interesting polygon banding in the sky (see images below), not sure how fixable that is. The main thing that stands out to me is that the atmosphere is a little too hazy. Not tons, but there should be a little more color showing through.

And even this dev/test version is way better than the potato crapshow I was having to fly in just earlier today. Great work!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Ah nice one! And thanks, It's part RSS and part EVE, you should be able to reduce them by setting the FadeScale to 0.0000002 or less, although this will come at the cost of darker/less blue skys.

I've never had do anything with obj. files.. ever?

Ah nice one! And thanks, It's part RSS and part EVE, you should be able to reduce them by setting the FadeScale to 0.0000002 or less, although this will come at the cost of darker/less blue skys.

I've never had do anything with obj. files.. ever?

It's part of RSS, some mesh thing, I think. Anyhow, I read somewhere that if anything mucks with PQS or the planet scales or... I dunno, something like that, then one should delete all the .obj files in RSS's PluginData/ folder and then run KSP. RSS will regenerate them (takes 10-15 minutes). I was getting out-of-memory crashes after it regenerated Moho and one other one, so I temporarily removed as many of my parts plugins as I could so it would have the RAM to do the regeneration.

Edit: Aw crap, I just tossed all my mods back in and I'm back to the 20km hole! So it's not the .obj files after all! Drat. I'll have to go figure out which mod is causing the problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.