[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

Sorry I haven't been giving much updates; progress was slowed by Planet factory playing up with RSS and Overhaul 9. I've now switched to SpacedInvader's RSS planet pack, which illiminates the issues with PF for good(although it is also a wip config). I have since been able to resume work on the planets. I should hopefully be able to get 0.2 out in the next few days which should include rudimentary configs for all planets in the system as well as several flavours for Earth so you guys can mix and match the look you wan't. There's be the standard 0.2A in all it's dev'y glitchyness, and then two other configs [b&C] for differing Earths. These won't use the WIP terrain shader and consequentially city lights, but the trade off is the smoother looking (and functioning) stock terrain that includes several features like the terrain haze effect and bump maps for 3D look from orbit. B is more realistic as contains colour map for land, but the down side is it will appear shiny in certain situations, and C will be just a colour map for oceans, so normal matte look of land but brighter less realistic (but more pretty.. shhhhhh) look for Earth.

Like I've said already I really appreciate your patience, getting the stock game to work with multiple mods is hard enough, but getting a fundamentally modded stock game (RSS) to function with multiple mods (that are in dev themselves [Overhaul Series]) is a whole nother thing, hence why this is taking longer than many other visual packs out there for EVE.

Just a start, but a start at least right ;)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Ralathon: awesome news, this should be a massive improvement for the modding community :D

This looks so good already :D Keep on with your nice work

Thank man, your compliments have kept me going throughout!

Btw just translated your name into spanish, then english, to find The Banana Bread.. Awesome stuff, I love banana bread. +1 rep

Thank man, your compliments have kept me going throughout!

You're welcome. To be honest, I still haven't played RSS for a while mainly because I lack time but when 64-Bit KSP is out and you finished your amazing work here , I MUST play RSS again xD

Btw just translated your name into spanish, then english, to find The Banana Bread.. Awesome stuff, I love banana bread. +1 rep

Haha Spanish lol why? Are you spanish? I assumed you were a brit according to your location :D Thanks for the rep though.. name skillz lol

You're welcome. To be honest, I still haven't played RSS for a while mainly because I lack time but when 64-Bit KSP is out and you finished your amazing work here , I MUST play RSS again xD

Haha Spanish lol why? Are you spanish? I assumed you were a brit according to your location :D Thanks for the rep though.. name skillz lol

Ha no I am British, it only could translate to El pan de plátano, And I know that in spanish :P

The latest album on imgur is looking very nice. Good job, maybe still sliiiightly too much green in Earth's atmo, but very close to the sweet spot imo.

What even on 0.2B and A? I might be able to turn it down on those variants even more, but it'll start getting back into the realm of having black amazons ASL :(

I managed to spend some time working on the planets the other day. Let me know what you think about the two Titan variants, also the mars look.

What even on 0.2B and A? I might be able to turn it down on those variants even more, but it'll start getting back into the realm of having black amazons ASL :(

I managed to spend some time working on the planets the other day. Let me know what you think about the two Titan variants, also the mars look.

Well it's my opinion only. I think what NovaSilisko posted a few pages back looked really good. Both in the blues and how Earth looked lit up by the sun. But it's difficult to have a qualified opinion and separate what is realistic vs. personal preferance.

It's a fact that right now as it is, it looks soo much better than it does in stock RSS - I really like it already. Titan, Venus, Mars and Uranus all look nice. Just fix the atmosphere colors and pqs fading where it needs to be fixed and the rest (from what I can see from the pictures) should be minor tweaks.

Can't really say anything about the Mars/Titan looks. They look good/realistic as they are, both versions. Earth is most important to fine tune here imo, because that's were a majority of gameplay occurs and we all have a quite deep connection to that place :)

Good work!

http://imgur.com/a/xc62W

The blue seems too strong and too high on Mars. Mars doesn't have that large of an atmo.

Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

The blue seems too strong and too high on Mars. Mars doesn't have that large of an atmo.

Yeah I thought so, I'll look into it, pretty sure it was where the atmo ends in real life acording to rl values but it doesn't seem correct I must admit.

Well it's my opinion only. I think what NovaSilisko posted a few pages back looked really good. Both in the blues and how Earth looked lit up by the sun. But it's difficult to have a qualified opinion and separate what is realistic vs. personal preferance.

It's a fact that right now as it is, it looks soo much better than it does in stock RSS - I really like it already. Titan, Venus, Mars and Uranus all look nice. Just fix the atmosphere colors and pqs fading where it needs to be fixed and the rest (from what I can see from the pictures) should be minor tweaks.

Can't really say anything about the Mars/Titan looks. They look good/realistic as they are, both versions. Earth is most important to fine tune here imo, because that's were a majority of gameplay occurs and we all have a quite deep connection to that place :)

Good work!

Could you do a Photoshop edit of the earth you think looks most realistic so far and tweak the colours so I can get an idea of how you'd want it? That'd be great.

Could you do a Photoshop edit of the earth you think looks most realistic so far and tweak the colours so I can get an idea of how you'd want it? That'd be great.

Ok. I've never used a photo editing program before. But I thought, "how hard can it be?". It's way more work for you anyway:) And yes, the third image is not nice. I think I managed to show what I meant at least.

What do you think?

Album:

Ok, but bear in mind 0.2 C doesn't have land colour control and will follow the stock land colour scheme. I can make it like this np but it seems it's more the atmosphere you wan't bluer, more so than the land as it already is in these? I can alter the 3 aspects in terms of colour and brightness (somewhat) Land, Water, Atmosphere.

So are you essentially just wanting the more washed out image novaSilesko posted, that being washed out land and atmosphere tones but still bluey oceans..

Also what do you think..

Mars bright:

LdASGpv.png

Or Mars darker:

mJ6jCKc.png

(Notice the difference in terminators)

This is what I've been modelling it off.. the only 'true' colour image I could find widespread:

True-colour_image_of_Mars_seen_by_OSIRIS.jpg

Edited by pingopete

Roger that! Also how's this for earth, figured out how to add some 'edge' haze / specularity to Earth, and tweaked the atmospheric colour palette to less green..

UTFW6d7.png

vrZS9Jw.png

M6zXFPG.png

.. A compromise of greens and not greens, so jungles aren't literally black from orbit, I will still tone down the land areas a little bit further.

..also the general atmosphere may be too thick atm

Are these new test versions available? Now that I have Active Texture Memory working correctly, I'd like to try it out!

Fantastic work on Earth and Mars there. I like "bright" Mars, personally. That's where I'm casting my vote. :)

Not atm, I took down the DL temporarily until I can get 0.2 up with some actual planet work and general less buggyness. However, things are going very well atm as I've got atmosphere from ground working as well as saturn's rings by using kettopiatech mod. Also now I've figured out how to get this inverse fade distance thing/global haze, I can make planets look allot nicer with fewer layers. In addition to THAT I've switched back to 32bit ksp for compatability purposes, and can really see the need for some optimisation, which I've done, meaning much less bugs now. All in all I'm very happy with the way things are going :D 0.2 should be up soon!

Yay!

I can wait. :) I need to update/reinstall RSS/RO anyhow, and now is the perfect time since my moon rocket test last night was a disaster. That was the only setup in that savegame so if stuff breaks after updating, that's fine.

Alternatively no ScaledSpace atmospheric layers but that of the edge haze, maybe one for PQS sky colour?

= Less CPU usage + Brighter whiter clouds?

o87aC6P.png

6dZHTlU.png

...I think it may actually look more realistic with just the one?

Alternatively no ScaledSpace atmospheric layers but that of the edge haze, maybe one for PQS sky colour?

= Less CPU usage + Brighter whiter clouds?

http://i.imgur.com/o87aC6P.png

http://i.imgur.com/6dZHTlU.png

...I think it may actually look more realistic with just the one?

Well done! That looks very impressive! Almost thought that was an image you were using as an example of what you wanted. Mars also looks fantastic! Best of luck to your future development man :)

Just wow! I checked this thread on my phone today and I believed one of those pics of Earth was a real one for comparison. On my computer it also looks amazing ofcourse, much better than I imagined was possible. You really nailed it imo!

I think both versions of Mars look fantastic, but I'm leaning towards the brighter one, based on the real image you posted. Very nice Pingopete!

Awesome, thanks! I'll keep that mars in the release too. Now to try and get the PQS stuff looking half as good :P

Are there any advantages to using the Planet Factory version? (And I still can only find Planet Factory CE, and not the regular mod, but I'm curious.)

I've kinda completely switched over to SpacedInvadors RSS config (also KittopiaSpace) which gets most the planets and rings in without the need for PF. EVE did not like PF.. or vice versa, to the point where EVE wouldn't function at all. When 0.2 is ready for release you won't have to worry about PF.

Edited by pingopete

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.