pingopete

[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

1,975 members have voted

  1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

    • A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, pingopete said:

Yeah sure, I can bulk upload my gamedata RVE setup in one Zip before pushing to Github. Also no other planets atm, plus still a ton of bugs and ugly visuals, these were just the best shots :P :blush:

And got a serious lag problem in opengl in PQS :/ like literally 7-9 fps regardless of ship part count. 

Will you upload it to github or just send me a link? lag isnt a problem

Edited by sDaZe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pingopete looking forward to it. :) Remember, every time you make a change, commit it to git. Then you can always go back later, and people stop pestering you too. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

 and people stop pestering you too. :D

Sorry :(  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

Pingo did you get cubemaps worked out for this or have you not done that yet? I just recently figured out how to get it working so if you do need help I'll be glad to :D

Yeah I had a go but there were some issues, also I was trying 6x8k cube maps :P will look back into it again soon, and may need some help, thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, pingopete said:

Got some more pics :sticktongue:

 

I think if i showed this to someone that doesn't know KSP, i think that they would believe that these are pics from IRL. Goddamn amazing work @pingopete. Keep on with it! :D Only Earth for now or did you finish other planets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pingopete said:

Yeah I had a go but there were some issues, also I was trying 6x8k cube maps :P will look back into it again soon, and may need some help, thanks 

Well just take all the RAM why don't you :sticktongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So for anyone desperate here's a quick and dirty, unfinished version as I'm to tired to put it up on git properly tonight.

If the terrain texture is showing to far out in space for you (bug i can't fix) change the terrain detail distance to 0.0003 (i think) will reduce repetition when in medium/high earth orbits, but will make ground texture invisible in PQS/at ground level.

If you want more cirrus clouds, change the cirrus main tex to kerbin2 (repetition in areas and transition is weird when viewed from higher up), they can also be removed via the same Alt+0 menu

Other bugs as in earlier versions still here so no bug reporting! :P

Horrendous PQS to SS transition effect

Just to clarify this will only work with Linux x64

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uognb53ca3w6n36/RVE105.zip

EDIT: won't let me link text the DL :/

 @sDaZe @hypervelocity

Edited by pingopete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2016 at 1:30 AM, pingopete said:

So for anyone desperate here's a quick and dirty, unfinished version as I'm to tired to put it up on git properly tonight.

If the terrain texture is showing to far out in space for you (bug i can't fix) change the terrain detail distance to 0.0003 (i think) will reduce repetition when in medium/high earth orbits, but will make ground texture invisible in PQS/at ground level.

If you want more cirrus clouds, change the cirrus main tex to kerbin2 (repetition in areas and transition is weird when viewed from higher up), they can also be removed via the same Alt+0 menu

Other bugs as in earlier versions still here so no bug reporting! :P

Horrendous PQS to SS transition effect

Just to clarify this will only work with Linux x64

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uognb53ca3w6n36/RVE105.zip

EDIT: won't let me link text the DL :/

 @sDaZe @hypervelocity

A wild stratochief appears.

I made some videos testing some other RVE remixes before I was made aware that you had put yours out. I look forward to trying it out :):):) 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPdqukdb2-oeJVpcDNFAdIYKepcFoFATy

edit: 

I was able to get it running in win32 by only taking the RVE folder (I already have the most recent version of Scatterer with some personalized settings to minimize the strange horizon effects caused by PostProcessing in OpenGL) and saved 50-150mb of RAM by deleting textures that weren't being used for the 2 cloud layers of Earth.

Standard good win32 practices still apply here; I only had SSTU installed for parts packs. I expect that I could have any regular parts pack instead of SSTU (like FASA) and also have a playable RO install. I might experiment with using a lower RSS resolution set, since the cool terrain trick you implement from EVE might not make the actual RSS texture itself visible most of the time (?)

 

@pingopete I found a trick that avoids that white fade at the PQS-SS transition. It is a dirty trick, but it works pretty well for me. I editted the RSSKopernicus.cfg file to eliminate the fade period, since it looks like it is failing/broken. I set the ScaledVersion settings:

            fadeStart = 99000
            fadeEnd = 100000

and my PQS settings:

            deactivateAltitude = 100000
            fadeStart = 100000
            fadeEnd = 100000

Edited by stratochief66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd hardly call mine a "Remix". Just a crappy hotfix. :)

 

@pingopete are you going to keep pushing stuff to github in the near future? If not, ill take a look at downscaling slme textures and keeping my repo more up to date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2016 at 3:37 PM, stratochief66 said:

A wild stratochief appears.

I made some videos testing some other RVE remixes before I was made aware that you had put yours out. I look forward to trying it out :):):) 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPdqukdb2-oeJVpcDNFAdIYKepcFoFATy

edit: 

I was able to get it running in win32 by only taking the RVE folder (I already have the most recent version of Scatterer with some personalized settings to minimize the strange horizon effects caused by PostProcessing in OpenGL) and saved 50-150mb of RAM by deleting textures that weren't being used for the 2 cloud layers of Earth.

Standard good win32 practices still apply here; I only had SSTU installed for parts packs. I expect that I could have any regular parts pack instead of SSTU (like FASA) and also have a playable RO install. I might experiment with using a lower RSS resolution set, since the cool terrain trick you implement from EVE might not make the actual RSS texture itself visible most of the time (?)

 

@pingopete I found a trick that avoids that white fade at the PQS-SS transition. It is a dirty trick, but it works pretty well for me. I editted the RSSKopernicus.cfg file to eliminate the fade period, since it looks like it is failing/broken. I set the ScaledVersion settings:

            fadeStart = 99000
            fadeEnd = 100000

and my PQS settings:

            deactivateAltitude = 100000
            fadeStart = 100000
            fadeEnd = 100000

Nice thanks, I was thinking about tinkering with the cut off point but never got around to it :)

1 hour ago, saabstory88 said:

I'd hardly call mine a "Remix". Just a crappy hotfix. :)

 

@pingopete are you going to keep pushing stuff to github in the near future? If not, ill take a look at downscaling slme textures and keeping my repo more up to date. 

Yeah sure, just been a little busy lately

EDIT: Updated Git and removed all unused textures 

Edited by pingopete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, pingopete said:

EDIT: Updated Git and removed all unused textures 

this is for 1.0.5 right? decided I'm not doing any work today so time to test this!!

Edit: by using the latest EVE release (x86-EVE-Release.zip) from Dec 2nd 2015 I can't bring up the Alt+E menu for RVE and hence no clouds nor terrain (Skybox is replaced though). I will now try with the older x86-EVE-Release I had been using in 1.0.4 while @pingopete was away during January.

Edit II: by using this older version of EVE (https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/0d0f0b2a89353a9b3a323c7191639b3ff9bb62ac/x86-Release.zip?raw=true) I now get the Alt+E menu and Terrain, Atmosphere & City Lights tabs inside it but no Clouds tab and hence no clouds visible in the sky :(

Edit III: just noticed the Alt+E menu that shows up in Edit II is not showing any config files under any of the tabs (Atmosphere, City Lights, Terrain) :(

Edited by hypervelocity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hypervelocity said:

this is for 1.0.5 right? decided I'm not doing any work today so time to test this!!

Edit: by using the latest EVE release (x86-EVE-Release.zip) from Dec 2nd 2015 I can't bring up the Alt+E menu for RVE and hence no clouds nor terrain (Skybox is replaced though). I will now try with the older x86-EVE-Release I had been using in 1.0.4 while @pingopete was away during January.

Edit II: by using this older version of EVE (https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/0d0f0b2a89353a9b3a323c7191639b3ff9bb62ac/x86-Release.zip?raw=true) I now get the Alt+E menu and Terrain, Atmosphere & City Lights tabs inside it but no Clouds tab and hence no clouds visible in the sky :(

Edit III: just noticed the Alt+E menu that shows up in Edit II is not showing any config files under any of the tabs (Atmosphere, City Lights, Terrain) :(

ALT+0 in current releases, not sure why you're missing aspects of RVE though :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NathanKell said:

I believe this requires the current *dev* version of EVE (the x86-EVE-Release.zip from the repo) not the release version. @pingopete ?

Ah right yes it is, I thought they had been merged 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

I believe this requires the current *dev* version of EVE (the x86-EVE-Release.zip from the repo) not the release version. @pingopete ?

I'm a complete newbie to GitHub - how do I get the Dev version? By clicking 'Download ZIP' over at the main window of the appropriate branch?

Capture.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hypervelocity said:

I'm a complete newbie to GitHub - how do I get the Dev version? By clicking 'Download ZIP' over at the main window of the appropriate branch?

Capture.png

Scroll down and click x86-EVE-Release.zip then click raw to download it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.