[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,061 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

2 hours ago, pingopete said:

Yeah switching to vessels via tracking station first thing on game start and loading quicksaves cause these issues with EVE in RSS. You have to load a vehicle to launch pad or runway on game start before switching via map view (not tracking center) to orbiting vessels. A temp fix for the white effect can be using the EVE gui apply, but use it on the dark side so you don't see the effects that that in itself causes. The flashing ocean is an issue with scatterer which I'm looking to fix. The blue horizon is an issue with Scatterer as well although I thought I'd mitigated that using the scatterer config (this is a much older scatterer than the current release). The planet going white is an issue which stratocheif found a fix for but I have yet to include it as I'd had some issues with it. He posted a fix for it on this topic somewhere a few pages back. RVE is a WIP.. lots of bugs still with its dependancies, for the time being we'll just have to put up with these bugs until the authors can get them fixed I'm afraid or use the temp fixes I've posted on the OP :)

EDIT: what do you mean textures, I see ground textures, at least in PQS, are they not present in ScaledSpace/Orbit? Also city lights alone or just the city day texture? allot of these things have broken recently with numerous updates to scatterer since the version of RVE you're using was designed for :/

Sorry, what I meant by textures are the ones for cities in the daylight. I'm not seeing the cities in the day or night in PQS or ScaledSpace. The ground textures for the terrain are working fine and look much better than basic RSS :D. I did manage to get the city lights working in the early stages of trying to install RVE, but there were other big issues such as the big blue reflective cube around the planet. I think that was caused by using a newer version of scatterer or maybe I was trying to install Win32 RVE. It seems to be sorted out when using scatterer v0.022 and Linux64 RVE at the expense of CityLights. Here's a pic from said install A694PsC.jpg

Hopefully the performance improvements with 1.1 and the addition of official 64-bit support for Windows will be good for mod developers and RVE :D

I also just did a mass-install of all the mods required for Realism Overhaul through CKAN as well as some of the suggested mods. That caused EVE stopped working and the GUI wasn't appearing with Alt-0, but I'll try reinstalling them one-by-one to see what is causing it and if I find anything useful I'll post it here.

Edited by neutroncookie

Been having fun with RSS and RVE last couple of days, cant seem to get it to behave. having a very weird graphics bug (among others) that i cant seem to get rid off. very annoying If anyone knows whats causing it or has seem it before, would love if they could point me in the right direction.

giant blue half hemisphere square in that stays no matter what. shows up in map view as well. kinda breaking my immersion atm. Running OpenGL 32bit with nividia 580

351ss3l.jpg51zz1j.jpgo041p2.jpg

I'm trying to get this to work with the new scatterer addition, and i'm using the adjustments that are listed on scaterer OP for RSS, but I am not having any luck.

Does anyone have the version of scaterrer that is compatible with this? Their github doesn't have old version releases.

Thanks.

11 hours ago, pditty8811 said:

OK, so apparently with the latest realism overhaul and scaterrer 0.0220, you have to go settings, and then exit back to main menu in order to see clouds on main menu.

Yeah there's always been issues with the main menu screen, scatterer won't render and when the clouds do they only appear on the northern hemisphere. While this isn't ideal honestly I'd rather have the developers who could fix this work on other more significant issues in game

3 hours ago, pingopete said:

Yeah there's always been issues with the main menu screen, scatterer won't render and when the clouds do they only appear on the northern hemisphere. While this isn't ideal honestly I'd rather have the developers who could fix this work on other more significant issues in game

This issue is fixed in the 1.1 version of EVE. Still no scattering effect but it's really not a big deal, like you said, blackrack has more important things to work on than that :P

Just now, Nhawks17 said:

This issue is fixed in the 1.1 version of EVE. Still no scattering effect but it's really not a big deal, like you said, blackrack has more important things to work on than that :P

ah nice thanks for the info, take it you got the 1.1 pre?

34 minutes ago, pingopete said:

ah nice thanks for the info, take it you got the 1.1 pre?

I did indeed! I've been messing with it but rbray (or it might be U5) seems to have changed something in the way the 2D clouds are rendered as I'm having difficulties getting them to look like the way they do in the 1.0.5 version. I've only looked at the equirectangular texture and not the cubemaps so maybe that'll fix it but I haven't been able to sit down with it yet.

Edit: Turns out it's something wrong with my config format :confused: Looks like I'm redoing these again.

Edited by Nhawks17

On 4/7/2016 at 2:03 PM, Nhawks17 said:

I did indeed! I've been messing with it but rbray (or it might be U5) seems to have changed something in the way the 2D clouds are rendered as I'm having difficulties getting them to look like the way they do in the 1.0.5 version. I've only looked at the equirectangular texture and not the cubemaps so maybe that'll fix it but I haven't been able to sit down with it yet.

Edit: Turns out it's something wrong with my config format :confused: Looks like I'm redoing these again.

Hi friend,

do you mind sharing you scaterrer configs?

On 4/7/2016 at 1:55 PM, Nhawks17 said:

You mean the latest scatterer works, or you are using v0.0220?

14 minutes ago, pditty8811 said:

Hi friend,

do you mind sharing you scaterrer configs?

You mean the latest scatterer works, or you are using v0.0220?

Those things were in reference to my development of SVE (the port of this mod to stock planets). 

I'm currently using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and all the latest versions of the mods as follows:

• KSP v1.0.5
  • Realism Overhaul v10.9.6
  • Real Solar System v10.6.2
  • EVE (x86-EVE-Release.zip) directly from the link in the readme.txt
  • Scatterer v0.0220 and v0.0242
  • RVE (linux-branch, downloaded April 11th, 2016)

I am not getting any clouds or any other RVE effects in any frame (menu, space center, flight). My procedure for installation was as follows:

• Install scatterer v0.0220 downloaded from SpaceDock OR install scatterer v0.0242 from CKAN
  • Install ONLY EVE unzipped from the zip file linked in the readme.txt, merged into GameData
  • Install RVE by copying / merging the RVE, scatterer, and TextureReplacer folders in the GameData folder

Launch KSP, got to space center, nothing. Is there something I'm missing? I thought I'd followed the instructions, though clearly not. Thanks for any help!

Cheers!

Edited by gruneisen

8 hours ago, gruneisen said:

I'm currently using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and all the latest versions of the mods as follows:

I am currently using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with all this so I can confirm it's not that. BTW I run my ksp through a .hs file that has this code:

#!/bin/sh  

export LC_ALL=C  
export LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0
libGL.so.1"  
export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1  
exec taskset -c 2-3 ./KSP.x86_64  

Maybe try that?

Also is it possible to get the experimental scatterer configs for other planets linked in the first post and shown here? : http://imgur.com/a/2lqPd

Edited by Ice30

2 hours ago, Ice30 said:

I am currently using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with all this so I can confirm it's not that. BTW I run my ksp through a .hs file that has this code:

Hmmmm - I used to use that same start-up script to launch KSP, but stopped since it didn't really appear to do anything. I'll give a try tonight though. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers!

4 minutes ago, gruneisen said:

Hmmmm - I used to use that same start-up script to launch KSP, but stopped since it didn't really appear to do anything. I'll give a try tonight though. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers!

No worries hope it works. I find it seems to run slightly better with those settings

12 hours ago, Ice30 said:

No worries hope it works. I find it seems to run slightly better with those settings

Yeah - no dice there. Same thing. I'm not able to get to the EVE GUI using alt+0 or alt+n - does the EVE GUI work with RVE?

2 hours ago, gruneisen said:

Yeah - no dice there. Same thing. I'm not able to get to the EVE GUI using alt+0 or alt+n - does the EVE GUI work with RVE?

Try using right shift+alt instead of alt in Ubuntu

So far, I'm still getting nothing - I've tried to re-install completely from scratch and I'm definitely getting scatterer effects, but I'm still not getting any clouds or city lights ground textures. I hate to keep whining, but I'm at a bit of a loss here - again, I'm following the instructions (as far as I can understand them) from the OP and readme.txt:

• Install scatterer v0.0235 via CKAN
  • Install EVE, merging the GameData folder from the *.zip file linked in the OP into my install
  • Install RVE, open RVE *.zip file, navigate one directory down, and then copy the RVE, scatterer, and TextureReplacer folders into my GameData, overwriting at the prompts.

Launch KSP, both with and without @Ice30 startup scripts, and I don't get any of the RVE effects....thanks to anyone who can give any guidance or suggestions here.

Cheers!

On 4/14/2016 at 10:05 PM, gruneisen said:
On 4/14/2016 at 10:05 PM, gruneisen said:

So far, I'm still getting nothing - I've tried to re-install completely from scratch and I'm definitely getting scatterer effects, but I'm still not getting any clouds or city lights ground textures. I hate to keep whining, but I'm at a bit of a loss here - again, I'm following the instructions (as far as I can understand them) from the OP and readme.txt:

• Install EVE, merging the GameData folder from the *.zip file linked in the OP into my install
  • Install RVE, open RVE *.zip file, navigate one directory down, and then copy the RVE, scatterer, and TextureReplacer folders into my GameData, overwriting at the prompts.

Launch KSP, both with and without @Ice30 startup scripts, and I don't get any of the RVE effects....thanks to anyone who can give any guidance or suggestions here.

Cheers!

@Ice30

I'm still investigating this as I ran into this too, but I am running many of mods. If I just install the RO suite, it works fine with the above method. However, If I add all my mods I get a conflict somewhere. I'm trying to narrow down which mod is the culprit.

On 4/14/2016 at 2:05 AM, gruneisen said:

Cheers!

I bet this is due to wrong EVE, give me a couple mins and I'll get you the proper link

Try this EVE: https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/fcc42a6c7faafbec1f8656a04e59faa86de8f8c7/x86-EVE-Release.zip?raw=true

Installation steps look fine to me, that's what I did to get mine working.

Edited by hypervelocity

6 minutes ago, hypervelocity said:

I bet this is due to wrong EVE, give me a couple mins and I'll get you the proper link

Try this EVE: https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/fcc42a6c7faafbec1f8656a04e59faa86de8f8c7/x86-EVE-Release.zip?raw=true

Installation steps look fine to me, that's what I did to get mine working.

Hi @hypervelocity - that's the same URL that's linked in the OP and therefore the version of EVE that I am using. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hmmm - dang! Let me reboot into Ubuntu and check versions of everything, brb

@gruneisen - I checked and I have the same versions of scatterer & EVE, and I'm assuming the Linux branch of RVE is the same.

Mate, I have uploaded my folders in case you want to try them out - will be online for 7 days starting now: https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/7cce4d5dbedf32832eb279e1cdc2e7de20160416002633/10c304

@Mods - is this legal? I don't want by any means to violate any law or rule.

Edited by hypervelocity

21 hours ago, pditty8811 said:

I'm still investigating this as I ran into this too, but I am running many of mods. If I just install the RO suite, it works fine with the above method. However, If I add all my mods I get a conflict somewhere. I'm trying to narrow down which mod is the culprit.

Well this is the pits! I was able to reproduce @pditty8811's finding - I ran a clean install with RSS/RO only, installed EVE, scatterer, RVE, and voila - everything works. I wonder if its not a mod incompatibility, but instead a memory issue....

Edited by gruneisen

On 6/19/2014 at 1:10 AM, pingopete said:

Now working with Overhaul 9. It's been stable enough to get some PQS/ground level stuff done.

I'm also working towards, a darker colour scheme for Earth based on true colour images, let me know what you think

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This almost looks like real earth!

15 hours ago, gruneisen said:

Well this is the pits! I was able to reproduce @pditty8811's finding - I ran a clean install with RSS/RO only, installed EVE, scatterer, RVE, and voila - everything works. I wonder if its not a mod incompatibility, but instead a memory issue....

I was able to find the conflict. USI Tools is preventing RVE to work. I know this for a fact. I will snoop through usi tools to try to find conflict.

It cant be a memory limitation on my machine because I have 16gb RAM, am using x64 version on windows 7.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.