[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

@Starstrider42 sorry, I'm new to Linux and can't found the out_log all, I see is ksp_log ?

Oops, apparently that's a Windows name (yes, my computer is unclean, sorry). A quick forum search claims that the file you want is ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log. If you open the file in a text editor, it should start with "Initialize engine version" instead of "Kerbal Space Program" like KSP.log does.

Hey I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg file seems to be missing.

It will appear after you've started the game once. As previously requested, I'll add that detail to the manual soon.

Also is it just me or is the coding for the cfg files seem to be all packed into 4 lines rather than spaced out and neat like it was before (if you get what i mean).

That sounds like a line ending problem...? What operating system are you on, and what program are you using to open the files?

Edited by Starstrider42

Next release at last! Nice! :)

So... does it have HoneyFox's patch for partial FAR support? And what about MJ compatibility with time delay feature?

Not yet, but it's being reviewed (https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/pull/93) and will probably be in the next release. It looks like your drag suggestion won't make it, though, since ferram says you can't use the Cd value like that. Sorry.

MJ time delay will have to be done on the MJ end. See my response to Garek a few posts above.

Edited by Starstrider42

That sounds like a line ending problem...? What operating system are you on, and what program are you using to open the files?

Windows 7 and I'm just using notepad to open the CFG files up. I just thought i'd mention it because sometimes I like to go into some of the CFGs and add some other unmanned probes from other mods and the way its currently organised makes it quite difficult for people like me with a limited knowledge of coding. :)

Windows 7 and I'm just using notepad to open the CFG files up. I just thought i'd mention it because sometimes I like to go into some of the CFGs and add some other unmanned probes from other mods and the way its currently organised makes it quite difficult for people like me with a limited knowledge of coding. :)

I'll post an issue about it. As a temporary workaround, you can see what the files are supposed to look like here: https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/tree/master/GameData/RemoteTech2. Pick a file name, then click "Raw" on the toolbar on the next page to get the correct line endings.

Edit: BTW, if you're adding blocks for other probes, you're better off doing it in a separate file rather than the ones that came with the mod. That way they won't get overwritten with each new release. :) Code is the same, and as long as they end in .cfg and are somewhere in your GameData directory they'll get read.

Edited by Starstrider42

It's still in the works, but from the kOS side. Ask erendrake about it; I don't know the details myself.

As for kRPC, you'll have to ask them to integrate with the RemoteTech API, much like kOS is planning to. It's not something we can do from our end.

Okay, so I may take another look at kOS and wait for integration there.

About the API, it is correct that it will be documented in the manual linked in your sig at some point in the future? That would be helpful for kRPC integration, especially since it may be possible to do as a 'service', that is an optional module for kRPC which could be developed by someone else than the original kRPC dev. E.g. me, provided I manage to find time somewhere ;)

I'll post an issue about it. As a temporary workaround, you can see what the files are supposed to look like here: https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/tree/master/GameData/RemoteTech2. Pick a file name, then click "Raw" on the toolbar on the next page to get the correct line endings.

Edit: BTW, if you're adding blocks for other probes, you're better off doing it in a separate file rather than the ones that came with the mod. That way they won't get overwritten with each new release. :) Code is the same, and as long as they end in .cfg and are somewhere in your GameData directory they'll get read.

Thank you very much, you have been very helpful!

Means I can now add Novapunch2, B9 Aerospace, KSP Intersteller Probes

What about the dreaded "KSP massive RAM leak to complete lockup" feature? That stopped me from using this in the past. It usually happened when loading physics on a vessel in a different SOI from its dishes targets.

Use Wordpad instead of Notepad. It lets you edit the files in plan text and formats correctly. Used to have the same problem until I found that out. :)

What about the dreaded "KSP massive RAM leak to complete lockup" feature? That stopped me from using this in the past. It usually happened when loading physics on a vessel in a different SOI from its dishes targets.

Not yet. If I understand the discussion on the issue tracker correctly, that one only happens if you have KAS installed, right?

Okay, so I may take another look at kOS and wait for integration there.

About the API, it is correct that it will be documented in the manual linked in your sig at some point in the future? That would be helpful for kRPC integration, especially since it may be possible to do as a 'service', that is an optional module for kRPC which could be developed by someone else than the original kRPC dev. E.g. me, provided I manage to find time somewhere ;)

I'm also interested in the API documentation to see if I can make a RT / MechJeb glue .DLL.

Not yet. If I understand the discussion on the issue tracker correctly, that one only happens if you have KAS installed, right?

KAS installed, not required. KAS installed and on the vessels involved, not required. I was personally hitting it even with a save and install that never had KAS. I dropped KAS for awhile with .23 and stuck to RemoteTech. Lockup was still happening.

The common element seemed to be lots of redundancy (direct and omni geostationary's) within the Kerbin SOI and loading physics on a vessel in another planet SOI or gaining connection due to coming around from the dark side of a body and regaining lost connection from that same body having been in the way.

I seem to remember one or more command centers (5+ kerbal vessel) also being a possible factor and that command center was in another SOI or the vessel in say Jool orbit was the command center and it was connecting back to Kerbin Command.

Edited by BigD145

So it sounds like there are still some pretty noticeable bugs when switching crafts and such? I love what this adds to gameplay, but I'm weary of going back to RT2 after a few too many significant bugs...

I have not found any bugs. They are probably caused by people updating RT2 by copying 1.4.0 over 1.3.3 and overwriting files, instead of deleting the old version completely and installing the new version.

I have not tested the new version yet, but is the EVA still missing comms? I found the nececety to board the spacecraft just to transmit the data annoying. Still I'm happy that there is new version of this mod.

I have tested new version a bit this morning (1hr), did not observe any of the well known bugs, but given i did not have that much time or more complex set-up it is too early to tell.

One thing i did notice that when you do research and want to send the data, IF your antenna is not already extended, It will not be extended automatically for the transmission. I am not sure if that was intended behavior or not though.

I have not tested the new version yet, but is the EVA still missing comms? I found the nececety to board the spacecraft just to transmit the data annoying. Still I'm happy that there is new version of this mod.

No, we haven't added EVA comms yet. It's on the list, but it may be a while before we get to that.

One thing i did notice that when you do research and want to send the data, IF your antenna is not already extended, It will not be extended automatically for the transmission. I am not sure if that was intended behavior or not though.

That's intended behavior, and has been the case for all previous versions of RemoteTech as well.