[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I've discovered a sneaky bug that's caused me to revert :( for some reason, EC consumption/generation is affected by time warping. Maybe other resources, but EC is the one I found and tested. I have images to post on my PC if needed but lost internet last night after discovering this (of course) and just got it back, won't be on my PC again till later today. Just let any satellite transit through a night period at 4x time warp and watch your EC drop at a fraction of the normal rate. If the satellite transits in real time, EC consumption is proper.

Removing RT2 1.4 also removed this bug. 1.4 was installed clean, not overwriting a previous RT2 folder. In case this behavior is created in conjunction with some other mod, I have a crapload installed (see sig) so if anyone is unable to reproduce post your mod list so we can cross-reference and eliminate suspects

I've discovered a sneaky bug that's caused me to revert :( for some reason, EC consumption/generation is affected by time warping. Maybe other resources, but EC is the one I found and tested. I have images to post on my PC if needed but lost internet last night after discovering this (of course) and just got it back, won't be on my PC again till later today. Just let any satellite transit through a night period at 4x time warp and watch your EC drop at a fraction of the normal rate. If the satellite transits in real time, EC consumption is proper.

Bleh, that sounds like the exact opposite of a bug we fixed in the release. Can you please post to the issue tracker so that the other devs are aware of it? Thanks!

Hi i have a question about remote tech can i compensate for signal delay using MEchjeb or do i have to use the build in system?

Sorry, MechJeb doesn't support RemoteTech signal delay at the moment. With the stock settings, it will act as if the player were entering all autopilot commands (i.e., subject to signal delay, and only works while in contact). You can get MechJeb to respond instantaneously by deleting the RemoteTech_MechJeb.cfg file from the RemoteTech2 directory, but that will let you send commands to MechJeb when you shouldn't be able to. Pick your poison.

I love this mod ( but I'm no good with it :( ).

I have one question, maybe I've misunderstood something, but:

If I have a satellite array around Kerbin (4 satellites in elliptical orbit and 2 in polar orbits), do all I need to do for a leaving probe is set the target as "Kerbin" and it should automatically choose the needed satellite.

Because I try this and the probe loses connection every time (on escape velocity, so no EVA servicing is possible).

I get results by adding an antenna for targeting every single satellite, but surely this is not how it works?

Maybe I just really mis-understand how it works?

But I am thrilled to see work is back on!

Also another thing that tried, but never worked. I tried putting 6 command centers around Kerbin on the ground, and did the same targeting, but the probe still lost connection.

Edited by Beale

I love this mod ( but I'm no good with it :( ).

I have one question, maybe I've misunderstood something, but:

If I have a satellite array around Kerbin (4 satellites in elliptical orbit and 2 in polar orbits), do all I need to do for a leaving probe is set the target as "Kerbin" and it should automatically choose the needed satellite.

Because I try this and the probe loses connection every time (on escape velocity, so no EVA servicing is possible).

I get results by adding an antenna for targeting every single satellite, but surely this is not how it works?

Maybe I just really mis-understand how it works?

But I am thrilled to see work is back on!

Also another thing that tried, but never worked. I tried putting 6 command centers around Kerbin on the ground, and did the same targeting, but the probe still lost connection.

What kind of Antenas are you using and where do you point them at? Maybe there range is not far enough or they dont point the right way

What kind of Antenas are you using and where do you point them at? Maybe there range is not far enough or they dont point the right way

Definitely the right range, the biggest antennas that are available.

Maybe I'm wrong but the dishes don't physically have to point at Kerbin do they?

My setup is like this blog entry.

what i meant with pointing is that in remote contact so far (and i think still is) it was a 2 way conection so you need the Antenas you have around Kerbin to point outwards to meet with the Probe of coerse not physicly but Target wise a good thing is to put one antena on each satelite to aim at active vessel maybe a screenshot of your own setup could be helpfull.

what i meant with pointing is that in remote contact so far (and i think still is) it was a 2 way conection so you need the Antenas you have around Kerbin to point outwards to meet with the Probe of coerse not physicly but Target wise a good thing is to put one antena on each satelite to aim at active vessel maybe a screenshot of your own setup could be helpfull.

Hey! I think it just clicked! Thanks man!

So I have low range antennas for the network to communicate with each other, then high range for the network to point at "active vessel".

I'll try this!

But my issue is: what if I want to launch a new probe? I'd have to make a new network.

Edited by Beale

But my issue is: what if I want to launch a new probe? I'd have to make a new network.

As long as your existing network has enough spare dishes it is not a problem. Those dishes just have to have the range to reach anywhere. As long as you have at least one huge dish pointing at "active vessel" and your active vessel pointing a large enough dish to reach your satellite network then you have no problems. Use the smaller dish that does not break when deployed in atmosphere during your launch assent and point it at whichever satellite is directly over Kerbin Command. That dish, I think, has a range that can reach out to Minmus from Kerbin's surface.

That blog you posted to? Its satellite? Add four more medium sized dishes to the sides with symmetry. Those you can use to connect to networks around Mun and Minmus and any other vessel you need to connect to.

Edited by BigD145

As long as your existing network has enough spare dishes it is not a problem. Those dishes just have to have the range to reach anywhere. As long as you have at least one huge dish pointing at "active vessel" and your active vessel pointing a large enough dish to reach your satellite network then you have no problems. Use the smaller dish that does not break when deployed in atmosphere during your launch assent and point it at whichever satellite is directly over Kerbin Command. That dish, I think, has a range that can reach out to Minmus from Kerbin's surface.

Okay, I understand a bit better now.

But, also: When the initial satellite has moved behind Kerbin, should my probe dish auto communicate with one of the others?

I had a bit a complicatet setup but i try to explain it anyway there are probably way better ones but it worked for me.

I put 5 satelliats (4 would have ben enough but just to be sure i put a 5 one up) in Geostationary Orbit each of them with 4 Dishes.

One of them was aimed at KSC then one to the next sat on the left and on to the next on the right and the Last one was set to Active vessel.

With a setup like that you will be doing quit ok except if you try to fly close to the poles or of corse if you go behinde other PLanets and muns and so on.

if the Mun and Minmus get in your way bring some sats on an Orbit similare to them. Important thing is the Dish on your Probe should be aimed at Kerbin espacially if you leave Kerbins SOI.

To make sure i have conection during starts i usually use a couple of small sats on low Orbit usually120km so they wont Intervere with my usually Park orbit which is 100km.

Oh i give them omni Antenas and not dishes and on the Probe i will put the omni antenna which doesent break in Atmosphere flight.

Ofcourse this setup has a big problem 3 of those small sats cant cover the hole Planet i actually have them even quit close toghether, how i launch is i let them go past KSC just a little bit and then Start that gives me the Connection long enough to reach Orbit and Deploy the big Antenna if its gonna be a Flight in the Kerbel System (Kerbel orbit mun minnmus)

Satelliet dishes i usually only use for rong lange Flights or ofcourse sats themselfs.

hope this helped a bit even thoe my setup is kinda wierd i kindsa liked it xD

I had a bit a complicatet setup but i try to explain it anyway there are probably way better ones but it worked for me.

I put 5 satelliats (4 would have ben enough but just to be sure i put a 5 one up) in Geostationary Orbit each of them with 4 Dishes.

One of them was aimed at KSC then one to the next sat on the left and on to the next on the right and the Last one was set to Active vessel.

With a setup like that you will be doing quit ok except if you try to fly close to the poles or of corse if you go behinde other PLanets and muns and so on.

if the Mun and Minmus get in your way bring some sats on an Orbit similare to them. Important thing is the Dish on your Probe should be aimed at Kerbin espacially if you leave Kerbins SOI.

To make sure i have conection during starts i usually use a couple of small sats on low Orbit usually120km so they wont Intervere with my usually Park orbit which is 100km.

Oh i give them omni Antenas and not dishes and on the Probe i will put the omni antenna which doesent break in Atmosphere flight.

Ofcourse this setup has a big problem 3 of those small sats cant cover the hole Planet i actually have them even quit close toghether, how i launch is i let them go past KSC just a little bit and then Start that gives me the Connection long enough to reach Orbit and Deploy the big Antenna if its gonna be a Flight in the Kerbel System (Kerbel orbit mun minnmus)

Satelliet dishes i usually only use for rong lange Flights or ofcourse sats themselfs.

hope this helped a bit even thoe my setup is kinda wierd i kindsa liked it xD

Very helpful thank you.

This plugin has eluded me for a long time, but now maybe I can conquer it :^)

Okay, I understand a bit better now.

But, also: When the initial satellite has moved behind Kerbin, should my probe dish auto communicate with one of the others?

Your liftoff to orbit should not take hours to complete.

Are there any mods this is not compatible with? As I am stuggling to get RT to work.

I get no option to select targets for antennas, but I have (what I think is) all the RT overlays and buttons...

Any one able to help?

I haven't touched RT in quite awhile. Apparently there's now an option for dishes to always point at the controlled vessel? What about a fallback target, so it tries to point at one target, but if line of sight is blocked it uses a backup target? That's what I always wanted.

Are there any mods this is not compatible with? As I am stuggling to get RT to work.

I get no option to select targets for antennas, but I have (what I think is) all the RT overlays and buttons...

Any one able to help?

KAS has some conflicts with RT (in particular, never try to attach an RT2 antenna using KAS). Also, as noted above, MechJeb acts like there's a human doing all the maneuvering. Those are the only compatibility problems I know of.

When you say no option, do you mean that if you right-click on an antenna you don't get two buttons (one to activate/deactivate, the other to pick a target)?

I haven't touched RT in quite awhile. Apparently there's now an option for dishes to always point at the controlled vessel? What about a fallback target, so it tries to point at one target, but if line of sight is blocked it uses a backup target? That's what I always wanted.

No, there's no fallback target. At least, not yet. It's been discussed before but it's quite a controversial idea, and that's leaving aside the potential that it would create more bugs.

So I can't say whether or not it will be implemented, but it won't be soon. Sorry!

That said, most situations where a fallback option would be needed can be dealt with judicious use of cones and active vessel. Is there a specific scenario you're thinking of?

That hasn't been implemented yet, I don't know if RTG will go with Cilph's plans but he did say the current targeting system is being replaced by a group one which would have fallback.

Remote Technologies Group has not yet discussed whether or not we'll be implementing the groups idea. Aside from breaking compatibility with previous RemoteTech versions, it would require a huge rework of the code. We're not quite ready for something on that scale yet.

Edited by Starstrider42

I would love to see this mod combined with the Scansat mod. Being able to set up coms and data relays, would be a huge addition to this game.

I look forward to the day I have to wait for the command module to fly over before I can communicate with it. And their being a window of time for it.

Ok one question.... Lets say i have a polar base...ok (PB-Horizon is its name) how tall of a tower would I need to send a signal to a sat in geo sync?

( I'm about to send up a 40 meter tower and want to know if I'm just wasting my time. :)

Ok one question.... Lets say i have a polar base...ok (PB-Horizon is its name) how tall of a tower would I need to send a signal to a sat in geo sync?

( I'm about to send up a 40 meter tower and want to know if I'm just wasting my time. :)

Send a craft up to the pole from orbit. Try to drop it straight down. Record the height where you lose signal. No special math required and you don't have to account for the tallest mountain that might get in the way.