[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I seem to remember it being fairly high. High enough I just tossed some solar satellites up. I did some extensive roving at the north pole and it's weird driving up there. Built a base and everything until KSP lockups stopped everything. That was back in 0.22.

When you say no option, do you mean that if you right-click on an antenna you don't get two buttons (one to activate/deactivate, the other to pick a target)?

I get two buttons, Activate / Retract and Transmit Data.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=272506748

(dunno if you can see that)

I have line of sight of the KSC, the little calculator beneath the clock, the four buttons (bottom right) in map mode

But yeh, I'm stumped

Installed mods (incase it makes a difference):

Kerbal Engineer Redux

Deadly Reentry

Enhanced Navball

Kethane

KW (just the fairings)

Triggertech

World Cup

Remote Tech

Biodomes

That said, most situations where a fallback option would be needed can be dealt with judicious use of cones and active vessel. Is there a specific scenario you're thinking of?

Ground station connecting to whichever member of an asynchronous constellation is overhead

' Would like to point out that the vessel dupe bug is still there.

I don't know if I updated correctly, but the way I did it was to paste the Gameplay folder and overwrite all 1.3.3 files.

I saw this bug twice today, but this is with a fresh install of RT 1.4.0 (no 1.3.3 stuff anywhere). The second time, I captured some info (logs, persistence file) and put it in a dropbox. I updated issue #18 on github with a link to the info.

Ground station connecting to whichever member of an asynchronous constellation is overhead

One dish for each satellite that could be overhead. Specify target and you'll have signal as long as at least one is in sight.

I get two buttons, Activate / Retract and Transmit Data.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=272506748

(dunno if you can see that)

If you're seeing those buttons, then you're missing Module Manager. It's needed to give the stock antennas RemoteTech capabilities.

It should have been bundled with the RemoteTech install. Just put ModuleManager.2.1.5.dll in GameData (not GameData/RemoteTech2, but GameData) and you should be good to go.

Ok one question.... Lets say i have a polar base...ok (PB-Horizon is its name) how tall of a tower would I need to send a signal to a sat in geo sync?

( I'm about to send up a 40 meter tower and want to know if I'm just wasting my time. :)

Nowhere near tall enough. It would need to be a little over 9 km. :wink:

Ok, point taken. I guess I've been spoiled by the Communotron 32.

Edited by Starstrider42
Merged multiple responses

Nowhere near tall enough. It would need to be a little over 9 km. :wink:

SOO out of physics range......CRAP!

well it would have been the best relay station on the face of the planet.

HMMMMM maybe if i had some sat's in a 45 degree orbit

Edited by Tidus Klein

SOO out of physics range......CRAP!

well it would have been the best relay station on the face of the planet.

HMMMMM maybe if i had some sat's in a 45 degree orbit

Is there any particular reason you're going through all this trouble? Why not simply have a few (4-6) satellites in a relatively low orbit? If you pick it low enough they can communicate with each other using omnis and only need dishes to reach farther out places. One will always have contact with KSC. If you really want you can setup a second ring, but it isn't even necessary...

For deep space stuff you can have just two (possibly three) in a highly elliptical polar orbit (evenly spaced of course) and you'll always have contact (they'd talk to the low orbit ones with a wide-angle dish, and to 'active vessel' with some long range dish. Possibly add another few dishes to target places where you need a similar receiver network.

Short version: I have no clue what the obsession with geosync for comsats is about. The only place that makes some sort of sense is to have one (and only one) exactly over KSC, but that's it.

it would have made it so that i would only need one...that's right one sat in a Geo sync above KSC and then relay to the polar base for all missions basically super sized down sizing:)

simplicity in its self.

it would have made it so that i would only need one...that's right one sat in a Geo sync above KSC and then relay to the polar base for all missions basically super sized down sizing:)

simplicity in its self.

Your geosync is going to slide out of place eventually.

Your geosync is going to slide out of place eventually.

That's totally fixable. And totally "realistic." Station keeping is a part of satellite-ness.

Small digression: I often read about complaints of 32bit KSP not allowing for detailed enough calculations which leads to orbits going out of alignment over time due to number rounding. It strikes me that this is inadvertently realistic in that it allows small variations to creep in that could be interpreted to simulate gravitational tugs of the Mun, etc.

I'm having an issue where if a vessel is manned, it never goes into a 'Connected' state, it only ever stays at local control, even if I have line of sight with a satellite and I have a Communotron 32 activated.

Also I can't use a manned vessel as a relay. For example, let's say I have one satellite in Keosync orbit over mission control. I also have a manned vessel with an active Communotron 32 that has LoS with the sat, but not mission control. I also have a small probe with a DP-10 right next to the manned vessel, out of range of the sat, but in range of the vessel.

Theoretically, the signal from the probe should go to the manned vessel, which relays it to the sat, which relays it to mission control. This doesn't work for me though. It's almost as if Kerbals have signal cancelling properties.

I'm having an issue where if a vessel is manned, it never goes into a 'Connected' state, it only ever stays at local control, even if I have line of sight with a satellite and I have a Communotron 32 activated.

Local control is better than connected, that's why it always displays that. If you go into map view, do you see a green line connecting your manned vessel to mission control? Is the antenna icon in the lower right corner green? Then you're connected.

Also I can't use a manned vessel as a relay. For example, let's say I have one satellite in Keosync orbit over mission control. I also have a manned vessel with an active Communotron 32 that has LoS with the sat, but not mission control. I also have a small probe with a DP-10 right next to the manned vessel, out of range of the sat, but in range of the vessel.

Theoretically, the signal from the probe should go to the manned vessel, which relays it to the sat, which relays it to mission control. This doesn't work for me though. It's almost as if Kerbals have signal cancelling properties.

Kerbals probably should introduce noise into any transmission, but RemoteTech's model doesn't account for the average kerbonaut's personality. :wink:

From your description it does sound like things should work. (Stupid question: are all antennas deployed? Is your keosync satellite also using an omni? If not, where are its dishes targeted?) It might be more helpful if you post a screenshot, and/or post your save file to a Github gist. From the information you've given I can't comment on which of the three links has a problem.

I do have a line going from the keosync sat to the manned vessel (which I'm just going to call the L2 now). My keosync sat currently has a deployed communotron 32, as does the L2. The probe has a deployed DP-10. The probe should be connected, but it isn't, which is pretty odd.

I do have a line going from the keosync sat to the manned vessel (which I'm just going to call the L2 now). My keosync sat currently has a deployed communotron 32, as does the L2. The probe has a deployed DP-10. The probe should be connected, but it isn't, which is pretty odd.

How are you setting the target's ?

Edit- Sorry was thinking the DP-10 was the DPS- m1

Edited by Mecripp2

I can't set targets, I'm using all omni-directionals.

Correct me if im Wrong but the Communatron 32 has a Range of 2.5Mm but a Geosstationary orbit is around 3.4Mm so if you dont use any Dishes as you say it wouldent reach KSC right, witch would explain why the manned vessel doesent work as a really (unless itself is above KSC then it should work if its Orbit is low enough)

I'm sorry, if i missed some instructions, but i have a small problem.

RemoteTech is loading, i got the parts and some added functions to the orbital map. However, while in the left upper corner the red icon together with an N/A is showing, i still have full control over my unmanned spaceprobe.

Did i miss anything, or do i have to go and hunt for the bug?

I'm using Linux.

RemoteTech is loading, i got the parts and some added functions to the orbital map. However, while in the left upper corner the red icon together with an N/A is showing, i still have full control over my unmanned spaceprobe.

Did i miss anything, or do i have to go and hunt for the bug?

You're either using a probe core that isn't supported by RemoteTech, or you don't have ModuleManager installed.