[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Hello,

I like the MicroSat because it's compact.

If you build yourself a MicroSat it's not so compact.

And I like the design of the MicroSat.

Is there gone come a MicroSat for RemoteTech 2?

Are you going to implement auto-antenna alingment feature? Maybe as a later tech tree add-on part or optional feauture. When you have few dosen satelites it's become tedeous to keep the track of all connections set up (it is fun during the first part of the game). So if the signal is lost the craft will try to reconnect to the any available satelite or command center. It will keep the game challenging but remove the boredoom of constant switching from craft to craft buling the link for that long interplanetary missions. This way you also can have less antennas on your comsats. I would also like the feature added that any kerbal can remote control any unmanned craft within range as optional feature in the early version you needed 5 kerbals and large probe core to do this.

nice to see this mod is back :)

does anyone know if there is a a way to split an unmanned probe in half and have the two halfs communicate?

i ask because i have tried to send a probe that splits into an orbital and landing section, and to save weight i want to only bring the one long range transmitter and use smaller devices and relay information via the orbital sattalite.

i know i can undock and configure dish antenna while in kerbin orbit

and i can manage it with a third probe and rcs 'on site'. but that depends on me rembbering or carrying extra mass to the target.

anyone got any bright ideas?

Well, short answer is yes...

Longer answer is still yes, but you'll basically need to build a comm-net at your destination if you want anything like full-time comms with your probe.

If you just want one long range transmitter, for a mission that you plan on having a lander, you might need up to eight sections to your mission, with a bare minimum of five.

Bascially the long range transmitter, you're going to want to leave in a high orbit, with a decent inclination so you don't have very many dead zones during it's orbit. Then you need three to six low orbit relays for coverage of the surface and the lander itself.

Bascially the incoming signal hits the long range transmitter in the high orbit relay, is shunted to an omni antenna and relayed to the low orbit net, which bounces it around the planet to the lander via omni's.

When using RT comm restrictions, I generally break missions down into "establishing a comm-net" and "actual landing ops." That way I'm not sending huge amounts of mass in a single package.

It might be more efficient to send a three package comm-net, each equipped with a long range transmitter, and an omni for comms to the surface, to the destination. That would allow full time comms (assuming no occlusion by moons) and surface coverage. A fourth package in a high polar orbit (or something close to perpindicular to the plane of the moons' orbits) should allow comms around any occluding moon, provided you've got the range for the comms there.

Edited by VaporTrail

Can someone please tell me the difference between the modes Additive, Standard, and Root? I've been looking through the old thread (didn't know about this one, but yay for new development) and was able to find lots of math talking about Root, but not really that much describing the practical differences between the three...

Just use long relay antenna on orbital part, and some unbreakable/unsnappable antenna with lowest weight on the landing part, if you land on body with atmosphere, or just commutrons 16/32 if there is no atmosphere.

I think it would be nice to add EasyMode into cfg files where you only need relays for science transmition but can "magically" control the crafts even without the uplink the same way as the stock game does. It might be nice way for people to learn how relays work without the pain of loosing the crafts, then when they ready, they can switch back to hard mode. I think this could be done manually by removing the RemoteTech_MechJeb.cfg and RemoteTech_Squad_Probes.cfg from the mod directory. This way you will have local control with probe cores but still need antennas to transmit science.

Are you going to implement auto-antenna alingment feature? Maybe as a later tech tree add-on part or optional feauture. When you have few dosen satelites it's become tedeous to keep the track of all connections set up (it is fun during the first part of the game). So if the signal is lost the craft will try to reconnect to the any available satelite or command center. It will keep the game challenging but remove the boredoom of constant switching from craft to craft buling the link for that long interplanetary missions. This way you also can have less antennas on your comsats. I would also like the feature added that any kerbal can remote control any unmanned craft within range as optional feature in the early version you needed 5 kerbals and large probe core to do this.

I don't think we've discussed whether we're going to do it, but the short answer is "not soon". We're still trying to clean up the capabilities that are already present (there are still plenty of rough spots in e.g. the flight computer, not to mention we're still trying to stamp out the last traces of the duplication bug), and we'll be adding only simple features until that's done. Any auto-targeting rules would need to be planned *very* carefully to avoid breaking gameplay. So no promises.

For minimizing micromanagement during interplanetary missions, I'd recommend active vessel. That's what it's for.

Can someone please tell me the difference between the modes Additive, Standard, and Root? I've been looking through the old thread (didn't know about this one, but yay for new development) and was able to find lots of math talking about Root, but not really that much describing the practical differences between the three...

Standard means two antennas can only communicate if the shorter one is in range, no matter how powerful the long-range antenna is. Root means that a connection between a long- and short-range antenna will have a longer range than one between two short-range antennas, but a shorter range than one between two long-range antennas (if you've found the formula, you can work out the exact ranges yourself). Additive is just a synonym for root.

I think it would be nice to add EasyMode into cfg files where you only need relays for science transmition but can "magically" control the crafts even without the uplink the same way as the stock game does. It might be nice way for people to learn how relays work without the pain of loosing the crafts, then when they ready, they can switch back to hard mode. I think this could be done manually by removing the RemoteTech_MechJeb.cfg and RemoteTech_Squad_Probes.cfg from the mod directory. This way you will have local control with probe cores but still need antennas to transmit science.

Wouldn't that basically reduce the comm network to some map view decoration?

Wouldn't that basically reduce the comm network to some map view decoration?

You will still need comms for science transmition. It will reduce the effect the mod cause on the gameplay but it can be fun especially for people who found the RT2 to hard for their liking.

If you just want it for science, take a look at the Antennae Range mod instead.

Antenna range mod is oversimplifed there is no communications blackouts from the planets blocking the signal or the location of fligh control on the surface of Kerbin due to its rotation there is no need in any communications network to build so it is little bit to magical to me, antennae Range mod is better than stock though but overall effect on the gameplay is miniscule. It's just a feature suggestion I'm pretty much ok with current RT2 implementation.

I haz suggestion. So, IRL, before mankind set up ComSats, we controlled those probes and etc (i'm assuming) by ground stations. Whaddabout when 0.24 is released, by paying some money, we could set up a point on kerbin to become a transmission point, like the KSC. And i suggest amping a bit the range of the KSC, those giant antenas can't compete with the mini rover I have parked outside...

I haz suggestion. So, IRL, before mankind set up ComSats, we controlled those probes and etc (i'm assuming) by ground stations. Whaddabout when 0.24 is released, by paying some money, we could set up a point on kerbin to become a transmission point, like the KSC. And i suggest amping a bit the range of the KSC, those giant antenas can't compete with the mini rover I have parked outside...

Those ground stations were likely flown or boated in. They also had blackouts during gaps in ground coverage. Pay for a plane and fly some kerbals in a manned mission.

Those ground stations were likely flown or boated in. They also had blackouts during gaps in ground coverage. Pay for a plane and fly some kerbals in a manned mission.

I already tought on doing that, just that in KSP you don't have the ability to assemble components in the spot, the whole thing needs to get there in one piece, and with FAR, making such a plane is a nightmare. plus I am a utter noob with planes :P

Edited by guto8797

If there isn't one around this thread already, I made a quick and dirty MM patch for adding SPU and an antenna to all probes after RT2 has done its thing with the stock probes.

The only thing is that I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted so it relies on parts having ModuleCommand, no SPU, no antenna and no internal (IVA view). Meaning if you bring in a pod from a mod without an internal, it will get a SPU.

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleSPU],!MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive],@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!INTERNAL[*]]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPU
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive
TechRequired = unmannedTech
OmniRange = 3000

TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.3
PacketSize = 2
PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}
}

Standard means two antennas can only communicate if the shorter one is in range, no matter how powerful the long-range antenna is. Root means that a connection between a long- and short-range antenna will have a longer range than one between two short-range antennas, but a shorter range than one between two long-range antennas (if you've found the formula, you can work out the exact ranges yourself). Additive is just a synonym for root.

Ok, so if I'm reading the equation correctly, its the range of shorter range antenna plus the square root of the sum of the range of both antennas? So if I'm working with an antenna with 200GM and another with 600GM, the total range I should expect is ~228GM? Does this cross the omni / dish line as well, or do both still have to be of the same type?

Also, can you please explain the multiple antennas multiplier? I've found several posts talking about setting it to values like 0.5 and 0.25, but no clear description of what the value actually does.

Thanks again.

The first suggestion will probably depend on how easy it is to do something like that. We'll have to see once we know what 0.24 looks like. Feel free to post your idea to the issue tracker (I'm pretty sure it's original), but my above disclaimer about how we're focusing on bugfixes at the moment still applies.

For the second one, no. The KSC range is what it is to give you an incentive to build your own network. Rolling out a rover is maybe taking the easy way out, but that does count as building your own network. :wink:

If there isn't one around this thread already, I made a quick and dirty MM patch for adding SPU and an antenna to all probes after RT2 has done its thing with the stock probes.

The only thing is that I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted so it relies on parts having ModuleCommand, no SPU, no antenna and no internal (IVA view). Meaning if you bring in a pod from a mod without an internal, it will get a SPU.

Try #minimumCrew[0] instead of !INTERNAL[*]. You don't need mods to run into IVA problems, since both the Mk2 and Mk3 cockpits would get through your filter.

For the record, we won't be including a convert-everything patch like this in the main RT2 install. Cilph says that when he tried it, a lot of people complained. Also, I've been playing with a similar patch in my own game, and I've run into problems with some mods giving ModuleCommand to parts that don't really make sense as probe cores.

Ok, so if I'm reading the equation correctly, its the range of shorter range antenna plus the square root of the sum of the range of both antennas? So if I'm working with an antenna with 200GM and another with 600GM, the total range I should expect is ~228GM? Does this cross the omni / dish line as well, or do both still have to be of the same type?

Also, can you please explain the multiple antennas multiplier? I've found several posts talking about setting it to values like 0.5 and 0.25, but no clear description of what the value actually does.

Should be the square root of the product: 200 + sqrt(200 * 600) = 546. It works with (in fact, is probably most useful for) mixed omni/dish connections. Also, if you plug two identical antennas into the formula you get double the range, so you may want to use RangeMultiplier = 0.5 to compensate for that.

MultipleAntennaMultiplier lets multiple omni antennas on the same spacecraft work as if the ship had one slightly larger antenna. A value of 0 means only the longest-range omni matters, and the others are dead weight. A value of 1 means you add all the ranges together, and use that as the range of the spacecraft. Other values follow a line between those two extremes (so, for example, if you have four 2500 km antennas and a MultipleAntennaMultiplier of 0.25, your ship would have an omni range of a quarter of the way between 2500 km and 10,000 km, or 4375 km).

This will all be explained in the next version of the RT manual, but we've got some other details we need to double-check first.

Edited by Starstrider42

I already tought on doing that, just that in KSP you don't have the ability to assemble components in the spot, the whole thing needs to get there in one piece, and with FAR, making such a plane is a nightmare. plus I am a utter noob with planes :P

Don't use FAR. You could also just use a rocket to lob and parachute anything to anywhere on Kerbin.

Wonderful mod! Absolutely wonderful, the acclaim it gets around here is completely deserved. I am having a great time with the restrictions it adds to unnmanned missions. I feel there is actually more of a progression now in terms of the technology tree and the missions you are capable of launching.

Just thought I would share my love for RT2.

Hey, a new version!

I'm the author of the reddit guide "Complete Novice Tutorial to RemoteTech 2" that pops up as a high-ranking Google result when searching for RemoteTech 2. I wrote that prior to the availability of official documentation and have been keeping it maintained up to the December release. I'm planning to update the guide and add illustrations of the ranges of various parts. If you'd like, I'd be happy to get involved with the official documentation process as well, and redirect the thread on reddit to that guide. Please let me know if you'd like me to assist with the official documentation.

Thanks!