[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Is it intentional that most of the parts show for instance 2.50Mm range?

Theres a 50.000Mm part as well and most of them do not display Km readings in the part description, luckily this still translates to 50,000Km in-game I just found it odd.

I only know of British folk saying things in terms of "thousands of thousands" instead of "a million". Once you hit the thousands mark it's time to use the next set. 10^3, 10^6, 10^9 50 thousand thousand meters is awkward.

I only know of British folk saying things in terms of "thousands of thousands" instead of "a million". Once you hit the thousands mark it's time to use the next set. 10^3, 10^6, 10^9 50 thousand thousand meters is awkward.

Not so very long ago the UK had an odd way of dealing with numbers

US million 1.000.000

GB million 1.000.000

US billion 1.000.000.000

GB billion 1.000.000.000.000

To a British person 1.000.000.000 was a thousand million - million, billion etc went 10^6, 10^12, 10^18. Nowadays (since 1975) it's adapted to the international conventions and 1.000.000.000 is just a billion like to all other people.

Actually I still occasionaly come across Russians who refer to 1.000.000 as 1KK, essentially one-thousand-thousand

Should be the square root of the product: 200 + sqrt(200 * 600) = 546. It works with (in fact, is probably most useful for) mixed omni/dish connections. Also, if you plug two identical antennas into the formula you get double the range, so you may want to use RangeMultiplier = 0.5 to compensate for that.

MultipleAntennaMultiplier lets multiple omni antennas on the same spacecraft work as if the ship had one slightly larger antenna. A value of 0 means only the longest-range omni matters, and the others are dead weight. A value of 1 means you add all the ranges together, and use that as the range of the spacecraft. Other values follow a line between those two extremes (so, for example, if you have four 2500 km antennas and a MultipleAntennaMultiplier of 0.25, your ship would have an omni range of a quarter of the way between 2500 km and 10,000 km, or 4375 km).

This will all be explained in the next version of the RT manual, but we've got some other details we need to double-check first.

Does the multiple antenna multiplier only work with omni's, or are dishes included too? I'm guessing its the former as with dish ranges it could easily create a situation where a single sat with lots of small dishes could cover the entire system.

Actually I still occasionaly come across Russians who refer to 1.000.000 as 1KK, essentially one-thousand-thousand

That's probably because you meet them in online games. Using 1KK instead of 1M is a weird habit of russian mmorpgers. :D

On topic: it's great that you people have decided to help Cilph with RT2 development. Any chance for target-tracking dishes?

Edited by J.Random

Nowadays (since 1975) it's adapted to the international conventions and 1.000.000.000 is just a billion like to all other people.

Fun fact: in german, it's

10^3 = Tausend

10^6 = Million

10^9 = Milliarde

10^12 = Billion

10^15 = Billiarde

So actually, pre-1975's British system was more similar to the German than the current one, just missing the "Milliarde" etc. Also, it's a bit confusing to switch between German and English while speaking/reading/... about big numbers :D

Just back to my earlier question that was not really clarified, and to be honest I was a bit confused and thought it was just a typo.

Is 50Mn,

A. 50 thousand meters(50km), B. 50 million meters? C. 50 thousand kilometers?

I have never heard of these "Mn" measurements and I lost the page that explains the parts ranges in meters?

Just back to my earlier question that was not really clarified, and to be honest I was a bit confused and thought it was just a typo.

Is 50Mn,

I have never heard of these "Mn" measurements and I lost the page that explains the parts ranges in meters?

I think its the B. 50 million meters.

Is 50Mn,

I assume you mean Mm not, Mn...

That's Mega Meters. Which is the standard metric for Million.

So 50 Mm is:

50,000,000 meters. Which is 50,000 (fifty-thousand) Kilometers. (Kilo- meter. Kilo meaning 'thousand')

And the prefix is used so you don't have to worry about a larger and larger strings of zeros.

The range you'll have to really deal with goes up to the trillions before people just stop caring and switch to different measurements entirely.

From largerest to smallest...

Tera - Giga - Mega - Kilo - [No Prefix]

X00,000,000,000

I assume you mean Mm not, Mn...

That's Mega Meters. Which is the standard metric for Million.

So 50 Mm is:

50,000,000 meters. Which is 50,000 (fifty-thousand) Kilometers. (Kilo- meter. Kilo meaning 'thousand')

And the prefix is used so you don't have to worry about a larger and larger strings of zeros.

The range you'll have to really deal with goes up to the trillions before people just stop caring and switch to different measurements entirely.

From largerest to smallest...

Tera - Giga - Mega - Kilo - [No Prefix]

X00,000,000,000

Thank you, apologies I meant to type Mm.

This clarifies everything, yesterday I thought I saw Mn for some reason and could not figure out this distance I booted the game up and saw it is in fact Mm.

Edited by velve

Dumb question, what would be the chance of having multiple ground stations?

I don't think we'll be including any extra ground stations in the stock download; comm blackouts are supposed to be part of your first few satellite launches. However, as BigD145 said, you can add your own by editing RemoteTech2/RemoteTech_Settings.cfg. In addition, I think NathanKell is going to include some extra ground stations in a future version of RSS.

Does the multiple antenna multiplier only work with omni's, or are dishes included too? I'm guessing its the former as with dish ranges it could easily create a situation where a single sat with lots of small dishes could cover the entire system.

Omnis only.

How do I get the Q button? I've only got 'burn' and 'exec'

There is no longer a Q button, it's now labeled >>. It should look like this.

You need to build a station that can and is housing six kerbal astronauts and attach the computer core. Working transmitters are a given.

To clarify, the "computer core" is the RC-L01 probe core.

Edited by Starstrider42

Loving this!

Took me about 9 satelites to create a connection around the equator at the 100km mark, this is not very good, but at least it will allow me to do better at the 250km mark :)

Loving this!

Took me about 9 satelites to create a connection around the equator at the 100km mark, this is not very good, but at least it will allow me to do better at the 250km mark :)

That's one way to do it. Or you could have sent up enough and timed things just right to make geostationary's. Or you could have sent up manned missions to place geostationary's or some similar orbit high enough to provide coverage with fewer satellites.

Loving this!

I worked out that you can have 4 satellites using the communicatron 16 at about 1770km and they will be in range (if perfectly aligned). I put them at 1500 for good measure. But this way I can have my long range communication satellites in geo stationary orbit with kerbin and just use omnis to communicate between them.

I noticed a bug

Ill send up a satellite with two probes. Then ill jettison the primary and ] to the next one. It has its own antennae so I can control it, but it doesn't obey any commands i put in the maneuver planner (like stay on pro-grade). I have to go back to the complex, then select the satellite again, then it responds.

Ill send up a satellite with two probes. Then ill jettison the primary and ] to the next one. It has its own antennae so I can control it, but it doesn't obey any commands i put in the maneuver planner (like stay on pro-grade). I have to go back to the complex, then select the satellite again, then it responds.

Super old. I think you can find this just about every other page here on the forums.

December 17, 2013

https://github.com/Cilph/RemoteTech2/issues/175

Edited by BigD145

@Starstrider42:

Is it wanted that the dishes only show the connection cone, if the craft is focused?

I can imagine that it is something for performance to draw not everything, and to not annoy players with all the lines of the different things.

If it is not intended, then I will have to sign up to gitup and create the issue.

This bug falls in the "please post savefile, modlist, and logs" category (BigD145's link is a bit out of date, though, please post to https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/4 instead). I've sent up multisats without running into this problem, so there must be more to it than just having two probe cores.

@Starstrider42:

Is it wanted that the dishes only show the connection cone, if the craft is focused?

I can imagine that it is something for performance to draw not everything, and to not annoy players with all the lines of the different things.

If it is not intended, then I will have to sign up to gitup and create the issue.

That sounds like a bug. Cones should not be drawn from probes that are far away from focus (e.g., an interplanetary probe behind the camera), but if you have e.g. a set of dish antennas in Kerbin orbit you should be able see all of them at once.

However, cones are only drawn if the dish is pointed at a planet or moon, since that's the only time they actually matter. Can you check if that's the case?

Edited by Starstrider42
Added issue tracker link

That sounds like a bug. Cones should not be drawn from probes that are far away from focus (e.g., an interplanetary probe behind the camera), but if you have e.g. a set of dish antennas in Kerbin orbit you should be able see all of them at once.

However, cones are only drawn if the dish is pointed at a planet or moon, since that's the only time they actually matter. Can you check if that's the case?

Checked, and yep you are right, at moons and planets it works correct, but if pointed at other sattelites or any other kind of craft there is just nothing. And it feels somehow broken having no feedback about the connection or possible connection.

But that is just my opinion.

Now I am getting to grips with this mod and loving it. I have at least a proper Kerbin network (99% uptime anywhere in the Kerbin system). :D

ee6be1e596.jpg

But! When I leave Kerbin's SOI with this probe... (90.0GM Dish)

16227fb3da.jpg

It's dish is targeting Kerbin, but no luck. It's dead.

22a69ede1d.jpg

My relay sats around Kerbin are using the largest dishes and pointed to "active vessel".

What am I doing wrong?

Otherwise, love this mod more than ever, now it's starting to make sense.

That's one way to do it. Or you could have sent up enough and timed things just right to make geostationary's. Or you could have sent up manned missions to place geostationary's or some similar orbit high enough to provide coverage with fewer satellites.

Please stop recommending specifically geostationary satellites (especially more than one), there is just no advantage compared to any other (reasonably high) orbit. The only thing that can make sense there is to have exactly one right above KSC, acting as a relay to other parts of a network, but even that is rarely necessary and just complicates everything. It's more useful with more complex setups, like having additional polar relays and the like.

You don't need to be that high up to allow coverage with only 4 satellites: If you put four sats in orbit at about 1 Mm (1000 Km), they are within omni-reach of each other (distance of about 2.25 Mm, omni range is 2.5 Mm), can reach KSC easily (and at least one can always see it) and have quite a bit of room left to make sure the connection between the sats isn't blocked by Kerbin (see screenshot for all those things). As an easy to set-up approximation pick an orbital period of 2 hrs (about 1068 Km orbit or so), as this makes deployment much easier...

So four trivial sats of just a core, battery and omni will already suffice to cover everything up to at least 1000 Mm equatorially. If you add just one dish each, pointing at "active vessel" you have full coverage of the Kerbin subsystem (except when actually behind one of the moons). Add a couple more and you're as flexible as you want to be, for example I generally use 2 dishes each, pointing at Mun/Minmus respectively.

Here two screenshots, showing how this looks in map mode and the trivial sat described above (2 batteries, 1 probe core, 1 omni, 2 dishes, fill up with panels).

K2y7j8g.jpgXxVw0Cl.jpg

But! When I leave Kerbin's SOI with this probe... (90.0GM Dish)

http://puu.sh/9Lpbz/16227fb3da.jpg

It's dish is targeting Kerbin, but no luck. It's dead.

http://puu.sh/9Lpf1/22a69ede1d.jpg

My relay sats around Kerbin are using the largest dishes and pointed to "active vessel".

What am I doing wrong?

Otherwise, love this mod more than ever, now it's starting to make sense.

That's a 90 Mm dish, not a 90 Gm dish (the 60 Gm dish looks pretty similar, but has a much, much narrower cone). Kerbin's SoI has a radius of a little over 84 Mm.

Even with a mod as complex as RemoteTech, sometimes the solution is pretty simple. :D