[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

The Clone Kraken (aka. Insta-Kessler) strikes again!!

http://i.imgur.com/ku3Xfp7.png

Luckly it was in a parking orbit and not in it's final orbit for communication missions. Anywho...I can't seem to find the post. Any known fix for this?

UPDATE: I found what appears to be the duplicate VESSEL in my persistent.sfs, but when I delete the VESSEL{...}, I cannot resume a saved game from the main menu.

This was a bug that was previously fixed by the community patch from awhile ago. Not sure why it would be rearing it's ugly little head again :\

There appears to be some incompatibility between RT2 and RealFuels. With RT2 installed the right click menu for tanks and engines in the VAB refuses to update. No effect on play though, just a minor inconvenience.

should be unchanged. it isnt a shorter day, just a shorter clock.

Wait... what? No. It has changed to 2863.33 or so because its rotational period has changed. The clock has in no way changed. (i.e. a Kerbal Second is still the same as it was before) the rotation of the planet slowed by 50.6 seconds.

Wait... what? No. It has changed to 2863.33 or so because its rotational period has changed. The clock has in no way changed. (i.e. a Kerbal Second is still the same as it was before) the rotation of the planet slowed by 50.6 seconds.

That was my bad then, I knew the second was the same :P I assumed that when they changed the default clock from a 24 hour to a 6 hour clock that they hadn't changed the actual rotation of Kerbin.

That was my bad then, I knew the second was the same :P I assumed that when they changed the default clock from a 24 hour to a 6 hour clock that they hadn't changed the actual rotation of Kerbin.

No it wasnt a 24 hour day either. What had happened as far as I know is prior to the patch, the rotational period was 6h. However the rotational period is shorter than they day by a bit (the planet has to rotate a few more degrees to account for the angular distance along its orbit around Kerbol during the day) and it was confusing people who kept referring to Kerbin having a 6 hour day (it was 5h 59m and change (I don't remember exactly)) since it made more sense for the "day" to be 6h long, they changed the rotational period to match.

No it wasnt a 24 hour day either. What had happened as far as I know is prior to the patch, the rotational period was 6h. However the rotational period is shorter than they day by a bit (the planet has to rotate a few more degrees to account for the angular distance along its orbit around Kerbol during the day) and it was confusing people who kept referring to Kerbin having a 6 hour day (it was 5h 59m and change (I don't remember exactly)) since it made more sense for the "day" to be 6h long, they changed the rotational period to match.

you are correct. I was unaware that this changed with 0.24 and i was talking about the older change where the default Universal "Day" shown on the clock was changed to 6 hours from 24 hours without changing the actual rotation of Kerbin. Which is why i said it would have no effect.

I made a mistake and didnt notice that 0.24 changed the solar day to 6 hours exactly.

If you can get to the tracking station without focusing on the cloned vessels, you can just delete all the copies except the very first one. So if there's:

KEOSat - A

KEOSat - A

KEOSat - A

KEOSat - B

KEOSat - C

In the tracking list, just terminate the latter two KEOSat A. Not that this fixes the problem, but it'll keep you from breaking your save/having a cloud of debris.

You are my new favorite friend. Worked like a charm...I didn't notice the duplicate in the tracking station, but the impostor has been eliminated and the satellite is comfortably stationed in a semi-synchronous orbit dutifully relaying the demise of my Kerbals.

This was a bug that was previously fixed by the community patch from awhile ago. Not sure why it would be rearing it's ugly little head again :\

Hmm. I downloaded RT2 from the link on the first page (1.4.0, I believe). If there is a link inside this thread to a new version/patch/cfg, I have not found it yet. I will look.

you are correct. I was unaware that this changed with 0.24 and i was talking about the older change where the default Universal "Day" shown on the clock was changed to 6 hours from 24 hours without changing the actual rotation of Kerbin. Which is why i said it would have no effect.

I made a mistake and didnt notice that 0.24 changed the solar day to 6 hours exactly.

Weird I must have missed that one, did the sun come up and down 4 times per "day"?

Just the altitude of stationary orbits was changed, because the rotational period has changed and you want to remain over a certain bit of land (which is the only special property of these orbits). I'm doing my best not to go on a rant how useless stationary orbits are for RemoteTech though, so I'm gonna skip over that now... Btw I think the day was 6hr50s or something and it's now exactly 6hr for simplicity.

The altitudes at which you have a certain orbital period (like you go round exactly once every 6 hours or once every 3 hours) are still the same, as the gratitationally relevant parameters are still the same.

Hello fellow RT users.

I have a question regarding docked ships and RT. I have build a couple of ships to do interplanetary stuff in KSP. The ships have been put together in orbit using multiple launches and then sent off to places like Eve and Duna. The problem I'm having is that when I set up a connection back to a relay station a few km off KSC the application freezes and slowly starts allocating more and more memory. This happened in 0.23.5 and updating to 0.24.2 has not changed anything.

Today I got this in the log.

OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory
at (wrapper managed-to-native) object:__icall_wrapper_mono_array_new_specific (intptr,int)
at System.Array.Resize[Node`1] (.Node`1[]& array, Int32 length, Int32 newSize) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Array.Resize[Node`1] (.Node`1[]& array, Int32 newSize) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[RemoteTech.NetworkPathfinder+Node`1[RemoteTech.NetworkLink`1[RemoteTech.ISatellite]]].set_Capacity (Int32 value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[RemoteTech.NetworkPathfinder+Node`1[RemoteTech.NetworkLink`1[RemoteTech.ISatellite]]].GrowIfNeeded (Int32 newCount) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[RemoteTech.NetworkPathfinder+Node`1[RemoteTech.NetworkLink`1[RemoteTech.ISatellite]]].Add (RemoteTech.Node`1 item) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RemoteTech.BinaryHeap`1[RemoteTech.NetworkPathfinder+Node`1[RemoteTech.NetworkLink`1[RemoteTech.ISatellite]]].Add (RemoteTech.Node`1 item) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RemoteTech.PriorityQueue`1[RemoteTech.NetworkPathfinder+Node`1[RemoteTech.NetworkLink`1[RemoteTech.ISatellite]]].Enqueue (RemoteTech.Node`1 item) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RemoteTech.NetworkPathfinder.Solve[ISatellite] (ISatellite start, ISatellite goal, System.Func`2 neighborsFunction, System.Func`3 costFunction, System.Func`3 heuristicFunction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RemoteTech.NetworkManager.FindPath (ISatellite start, IEnumerable`1 commandStations) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RemoteTech.NetworkManager.OnPhysicsUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.Action:invoke_void__this__ ()
at RemoteTech.RTCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I suspect though that the issue has something to do with how my ship is put together, but I cant be sure so might as well ask...

The thing is that the dishes I'm using (CommTech-1) are docked to the ship in orbit and do not contain a probe body of any kind. The root part is a docking port that is docked to the ship but the control part gets detached using a decoupler and is then crashed into Kerbin. So my question is as follows.

If I have a vessel consisting of two docked vessels A and B with all the communication equipment on the B vessel does that vessel require a probe body of some kind, Stayputnik or whatever or should it still work if vessel A has one, but not B?

Can I just +1 this great idea? ;)

I realise you can do this by landing a probe with antennae on it somewhere on Kerbin.

Nope, because a probe has no mission control functionality. It still needs a connection to the default mission control. And I would suggest buying a new tracking station point should cost a lot.

OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory

Yes, that does indeed sound like a problem with something not expecting the design of your ship and going into a loop (possibly the connection via docking port or something, no clue). But just to be sure, from roughly what base memory usage does it rise and at value does it crash. Are you on 32 or 64 bit and how many (big) mods, and which, do you have installed? To diagnose this, it might help the devs very much to have a savegame/quicksave of the thing before it breaks. Depending on what/how many mods you're using, this may also be unreasonable to reconstruct though. At the very least a screenshot of the ship (and/or the VAB files) might give an idea though (and it's much less hassle than loading a save with many mods).

Yes, that does indeed sound like a problem with something not expecting the design of your ship and going into a loop (possibly the connection via docking port or something, no clue). But just to be sure, from roughly what base memory usage does it rise and at value does it crash. Are you on 32 or 64 bit and how many (big) mods, and which, do you have installed? To diagnose this, it might help the devs very much to have a savegame/quicksave of the thing before it breaks. Depending on what/how many mods you're using, this may also be unreasonable to reconstruct though. At the very least a screenshot of the ship (and/or the VAB files) might give an idea though (and it's much less hassle than loading a save with many mods).

Hi Creat.

I have done some more testing and I actually managed to get a working connection. It would seem that the problem has nothing to do with the actual ship and everything to do with the relay I'm using. As the connection is only needed to transfer experiments I only created a couple of rovers with dishes and parked them off the runway close to the KSC. (Dropping the connection due to Kerbin rotating is fine.)

The rovers are close enough to the KSC not to need antennas (less than 3km) but they are also parked close to each other. When I instead used a rover with an antenna and parked it more than 3km from anything else and used that for the connection everything worked as intended.

I will do some more testing and probably try to mock up a save with less ships to reproduce the problem but in my mind it has something to do with either the proximity of the KSC to the relay stations or the fact that I had two of them parked close to each other.

As for mods and 32 vs 64 bit I do have a bunch of mods installed and I have tried both 32 and 64 bit. Only difference is how much memory is used before the game eventually crash or I get bored of waiting. 32 bit usually crashes at 3.5GB to 3.7GB memory usage so close to the magical 2^32 limit. Using 64 bit I have had it a lot higher but then I simply kill the process as it has frozen completely.

I have reproduced the problem in a stripped version of KSP. (Only RT is installed).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbptaaxjg2ava07/RT%20Relay%20error.zip

To trigger the problem simply switch to the vessel orbiting Laythe and direct one of the dishes to "KSC Relay". The game freezes after a few seconds.

Edited by Taste
Link to save added.

Feature request:

Our sun produces so much interference that the effective sphere that blocks communications is about ten times the solar radius. Could the programmer change the code so that Kerbol blocks signals more this way?

Feature request:

Our sun produces so much interference that the effective sphere that blocks communications is about ten times the solar radius. Could the programmer change the code so that Kerbol blocks signals more this way?

Great idea:) This would make setting up an interplanetary network more necessary.

Would that be an invisible sphere that blocks the line of sight for comm links, or an "Anything below an altitude of 10xradius cannot connect to the network"?

I would say its a little bigger than that. any line that passes through that sphere would be attenuated as well

I ran into an issue during a stream I was broadcasting this morning; when launching a 3-satellite constellation around Kerbin my first satellite will consistently fail to load after switching to other craft. It will load the ion engine, but nothing else. any Ideas as to why? I'll post logs when I get to my other computer in the morning.

I would say its a little bigger than that. any line that passes through that sphere would be attenuated as well

If I was going to model this, I'd be even meaner about it. Won't the interference cause problems if the vector of the communication points at the sun, even if the sun is behind the target? This would mean that you're more likely to want geosync satellites, as you can position two of them so that they're always visible from KSC, so if the sun is behind one of them, you can relay through the other. Using lower altitude constellations would mean accepting a communications blackout whenever there's only one satellite visible from KSC and the sun is right behind it, which would probably happen quite often.

As I understand it, the most accurate way to represent this would be to reduce the range of any communications that would be coming from a vector with a retrograde that points at or near the sun, with the effect becoming less pronounced as the retrograde vector moves away from the sun, simulating the fact that the transmitting antenna's signal is getting lost in the background noise. If it's closer, it could still overpower the background noise. Which isn't to say that we need that accurate of a model for this to be an interesting mechanic.

Edit: On second thought, this might not cause problems with lower altitude constellations, since those are usually based on omnidirectional antennas, which are already dealing with the solar interference.

Edited by Eric S