[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I would like to add RT2 functionality to some antennas from another mod (specifically FASA). Could anyone point me to a guide on how i can do this?

You have to add/edit the following lines by either editing the antenna's .cfg file or by using Module Manager.

If the antenna has an animation do the following:

Find the animation's module. It will look like the example below, to do it quickly search for moduleanimategeneric

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
animationName = antenna
isOneShot = false

startEventGUIName = Extend
endEventGUIName = Retract
actionGUIName = Toggle Antenna
}

add the line "allowManualControl = false" so it looks like this

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
animationName = antenna
isOneShot = false

startEventGUIName = Extend
endEventGUIName = Retract
actionGUIName = Toggle Antenna

[B][I]allowManualControl = false[/I][/B]
}

then find the module

MODULE
{
name = ModuleDataTransmitter

packetInterval = 0.18
packetSize = 2

packetResourceCost = 20.0
requiredResource = ElectricCharge
DeployFxModules = 0
}

and replace it with the below

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRTAntenna
Mode0OmniRange = 0 [COLOR=#b22222]//this is the range of the antenna when it is deactivated/retracted, leave it 0[/COLOR]
Mode1OmniRange = 2500000 [COLOR=#b22222]//this is the range of the antenna when it is activated/deployed[/COLOR]
MaxQ = 6000 [COLOR=#b22222]//this is for the durability of the antenna if it is deployed in atmosphere[/COLOR]
EnergyCost = 0.2 [COLOR=#b22222]//this is the charge drained per second when activated[/COLOR]

DeployFxModules = 0[COLOR=#b22222]
[/COLOR]
TRANSMITTER [COLOR=#b22222]//this is for transmitting science and it is better if you don't mess with it[/COLOR]
{
PacketInterval = 0.3 [COLOR=#b22222]//this is how long you have to wait between packets being sent[/COLOR]
PacketSize = 2 [COLOR=#b22222]//this is the size of each packet[/COLOR]
PacketResourceCost = 15.0 [COLOR=#b22222]//this is the charge drained per packet[/COLOR]
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPUPassive [COLOR=#b22222]//this is for making the antenna able to forward the signal and be part of a relay network[/COLOR]
}

If the antenna doesn't have an animation do the following:

Find the module

MODULE
{
name = ModuleDataTransmitter

packetInterval = 0.18
packetSize = 2

packetResourceCost = 20.0
requiredResource = ElectricCharge
DeployFxModules = 0
}

and replace it with the below

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRTAntenna
IsRTActive = true [COLOR=#b22222]//this means that the antenna is activated by default like the DP-10[/COLOR]
Mode0OmniRange = 0
Mode1OmniRange = 500000
EnergyCost = 0.01

TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.3
PacketSize = 2
PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPUPassive
}

I think that's it, and sorry for my grammar.

I'm using the latest release candidate in 64-bit KSP, and it's working fine for me so far. Really enjoying it! Just a terrific design. I'm still working on my Kerbin network, and I'm having a blast. Thank you for taking the time to give this to us.

EDIT: Figured it out :) There is a line in the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg file that had to be edited. Would be nice to have this ingame though.

Using the latest prerelease (#47) in 0.24.2 (32BIT)

It's working fine so far

But is there a way to turn off signal delay?

Because I don't like this feature.

It encourages the use of the autopilot, and I don't like autopilots.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Tommy59375
IM AN IDIOT, IT SEEMS

I found that some .cfg files when opened in notepad are devoid of any line breaks, leaving you with a solid wall of text. Opening the same file in wordpad put the spaces in correctly and gave a nicely formatted file.

That's a known bug. For a workaround, you can download properly formatted versions from GitHub, or you can use pretty much any text editor other than Notepad. I personally use EditPad, and I think much of the KSP community uses Notepad++.

Could you allow vessels to be renamed if they don't have connection? This is one of my pet hates that you cant rename stuff if their out of charge :(:mad:

As somebody said, this will be in the coming release. As a temporary workaround, go into the tracking station, select the ship you want to rename, and click on the ship name in the box that pops up on the right side of the screen.

Edited by Starstrider42

Really enjoying the mod. One question, though. I did my first experiment with the flight computer, just in orbit around Kerbin, as my satellite was about to go out of KSC's range. I set up a maneuver node, oriented the ship toward the blue maneuver-node vector, and pressed EXEC. At the appointed time, the ship did burn its engine, but it also starting rotating very fast. I gather that I should have done something more to keep the ship oriented toward the blue maneuver-node vector. How do I do that? Push KILL before pushing EXEC? Will the KILL command be executed continuously until EXEC kicks in? How and when does KILL take effect?

I'm sure this question has come up before, but I couldn't find a clear answer by Googling or searching this thread, so I apologize in advance if my question has been asked and answered.

Edit: I'm using 64-bit, the build-47 release candidate of RT2, Windows 7 64-bit, many mods. Thanks.

Really enjoying the mod. One question, though. I did my first experiment with the flight computer, just in orbit around Kerbin, as my satellite was about to go out of KSC's range. I set up a maneuver node, oriented the ship toward the blue maneuver-node vector, and pressed EXEC. At the appointed time, the ship did burn its engine, but it also starting rotating very fast. I gather that I should have done something more to keep the ship oriented toward the blue maneuver-node vector. How do I do that? Push KILL before pushing EXEC? Will the KILL command be executed continuously until EXEC kicks in? How and when does KILL take effect?

I'm sure this question has come up before, but I couldn't find a clear answer by Googling or searching this thread, so I apologize in advance if my question has been asked and answered.

Edit: I'm using 64-bit, the build-47 release candidate of RT2, Windows 7 64-bit, many mods. Thanks.

It would be helpful to see some pictures of your craft and the nature of the rotation.

I've seen tumbling happen a few times, across a couple of different versions. I think the triggering factor in my cases has been having other types of attitude control active. If you're using MechJeb or kOS, make sure they aren't trying to send attitude commands at the same time. You might even experiment with turning off stock SAS.

I see this all the time. It's normal behavior, especially when you dont have an sas/asas module attached. The craft was aligned before warping. After warping its is still pointing to the node, but its attitude in respect to the planet has changed. Remotetech doesn't just try to point at the node, it tried to align itself with the planet. So it swings around trying to get back to the node. It will do so eventually, but not before the maneuver has been totally borked.

Solution: Come out of warp a few minutes early and let the ship stabilize itself. You can then warp the last little bit and execute the node properly. This works even when disconnected.

I see this all the time. It's normal behavior, especially when you dont have an sas/asas module attached. The craft was aligned before warping. After warping its is still pointing to the node, but its attitude in respect to the planet has changed. Remotetech doesn't just try to point at the node, it tried to align itself with the planet. So it swings around trying to get back to the node. It will do so eventually, but not before the maneuver has been totally borked.

Solution: Come out of warp a few minutes early and let the ship stabilize itself. You can then warp the last little bit and execute the node properly. This works even when disconnected.

This is one of the bugs that will be fixed in 1.4.1. It will still try to align itself with the planet, but it won't try to slew halfway across the sky while doing so.

That said, Sandworm's advice is still good. I've seen some KSP(?) bugs where the maneuver node vector seems to shift, so you want to give your ship some time finalize its pointing anyway.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try Sandworm's suggestion of coming out of warp early to let the ship stabilize. I'm not using MechJeb, but I am using Kerbal Alarm Clock and KerbalEngineer, among other mods. On this occasion, though, I don't think I used the alarm clock. If I still have an issue, I'll post a picture and more details about the nature of the rotation.

Incidentally, the ship did eventually stabilize on its own, after the node, without my intervention. It was just a bit motion-sickness inducing for a bit. Anyway, I'll try it again, this time coming out of time warp earlier.

You have to add/edit the following lines by either editing the antenna's .cfg file or by using Module Manager.

I think that's it, and sorry for my grammar.

Thank you petros. This is exactly what i was looking for.

Hi,

I can't control a ship because it says there isnt a connection while there should be.

See these screenshots http://imgur.com/a/05yNc

I want to control the ship that is not part of the square but when I have it as my active ship it says there isn't a connection. When I have a communications sattelite active however you can clearly see that there should be a connection.

Hi,

I can't control a ship because it says there isnt a connection while there should be.

See these screenshots http://imgur.com/a/05yNc

I want to control the ship that is not part of the square but when I have it as my active ship it says there isn't a connection. When I have a communications sattelite active however you can clearly see that there should be a connection.

Are you targetting that sat around kerbin to point to active vessel?

To use with RSS you need to change a couple of thing you might try this CFG make a back of your's first https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/RT2_RSS.zip

Thank you.

I already have a similar RemoteTech_Settings.cfg. But since I want to have EnableSignalDelay = True I wanted to know how the settings for SpeedOfLight work and what a realistic value would be.

So I love this mod, but there's one feature I would really like: 1-way transmission.

Sometimes, you have a craft where you don't deploy the main antenna, or it runs out of power and the antennas undeploy. And that's the end - you can't ever recover it without a rendeavouz mission.

In reality, NASA and the like have many levels of automated backups for this type of event. In the trivial case of an antenna deploy failure, it would be really nice if you could use some of the big dish antennas - if they're in range - to request the craft to activate a particular component if it has a suitable omni-antenna onboard to mimic some of the functionality of the real deep space network (i.e. Curiousity has a tiny low bandwidth radio which can be heard from the surface of Mars all the way back to Earth).

Sometimes, you have a craft where you don't deploy the main antenna, or it runs out of power and the antennas undeploy. And that's the end - you can't ever recover it without a rendeavouz mission.

For now, you can click the "play" button next to the Electric Charge resource of whatever probe core you use for your probe. This will disable the EC and it will not be drained. Then, if the craft ever runs out of power you can "send a wake up command" - which is really just using the fact that RT2 doesn't stop you from re-enabling the EC resource when you don't have a connection. The probe cores I use generally have enough juice so I can spin around to better orient the solar panels, but if you need more stick on a bigger battery and turn that off instead to use as your "backup power source"

I have a question on the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg and it's SpeedOfLight setting:

What is E and what would I set if I wanted the real speed of light (to use with RSS)?

The E is how scientific notation is represented in floating-point literals. So the real speed of light, defined as 2.99792458x10^8 m/s, would be written as 3.00e8 (or however many decimal places you want to use).

Most languages will accept the E in either upper case or lower case, and will allow an optional "+" before the exponent (where the "-" would be if the exponent were negative). My freshly-generated RemoteTech_Settings.cfg has

SpeedOfLight = 3E+08

, so the real c is already the default.

Edited by undercoveryankee

I have not seen an answer that utilizes the method that I do that I really feel is the way the flight computer was designed to be used.

Step 1: Create a maneuver node to circularize/establish your orbit that is out of range of KSC antenna.

Step 2: Hit EXEC so that the flight computer will execute the maneuver node at the right time.

Step 3: Add enough delay so that your command will occur 30+ seconds before the computer executes the maneuver node, and tell it to point to the NODE.

Step 4: Time warp and enjoy while watching your probe - 1.lose connection 2.kill your time warp 3.point to its maneuver node 4.execute said node 30+ seconds later.

Step 5: Revel at the glory of your new RT2 Satellite!

The E is how scientific notation is represented in floating-point literals. So the real speed of light, defined as 2.99792458x10^8 m/s, would be written as 3.00e8 (or however many decimal places you want to use).

Most languages will accept the E in either upper case or lower case, and will allow an optional "+" before the exponent (where the "-" would be if the exponent were negative). My freshly-generated RemoteTech_Settings.cfg has

SpeedOfLight = 3E+08

, so the real c is already the default.

Thank you for this explanation!

I also have 3E+08 set but I didn't know that that already was the real c. My lag on a vessel orbiting moon was around something over 2 seconds and I thought that that was around half a second too much but seems like everything is just right.

Thanks!

Thank you for this explanation!

I also have 3E+08 set but I didn't know that that already was the real c. My lag on a vessel orbiting moon was around something over 2 seconds and I thought that that was around half a second too much but seems like everything is just right.

Thanks!

Check out your network. If you're using high-orbit relay satellites, I wouldn't be surprised to see an extra half light-second of path distance over a direct-to-ground route.

This has probably been asked before, but:

Is there any trick with the persistant.sfs (or any alternate method) file to quickly set up a comms. network around Kerbin?

Say, three satellites in a perfect geostationary triangle and two in polar orbits at 90° apart?

I love the mod, but for someone who is constantly starting new saves, the initial setup of a comms. network is a bit tedious.

I realise this makes me a bit of a dirty cheater, but...

This has probably been asked before, but:

Is there any trick with the persistant.sfs (or any alternate method) file to quickly set up a comms. network around Kerbin?

Say, three satellites in a perfect geostationary triangle and two in polar orbits at 90° apart?

I love the mod, but for someone who is constantly starting new saves, the initial setup of a comms. network is a bit tedious.

I realise this makes me a bit of a dirty cheater, but...

Simplest is probably http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/37756-0-24-HyperEdit-Teleporter-Orbit-Planet-Editor-More which allows you to teleport a sat from the launchpad into any exact orbit you put it.