[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Does this work with the current version?

yes, but i am having a strange issue now that point at kerbin doesnt quite work, has to point at a specific satellite, rendering a satellite constellation meaningless

yes, but i am having a strange issue now that point at kerbin doesnt quite work, has to point at a specific satellite, rendering a satellite constellation meaningless

There are some network-design quirks that can create the appearance that targeting Kerbin doesn't work. If you can tell what dish you were testing with, where it was located, what antennas your Kerbin-side relays had, and what they were targeting, we might be able to spot the issue. Targeting planets and moons has always done exactly what it's documented to do for me.

Targeting is working for me, is there a way to have the dishes automatically switch to the closest connection?

No, there's no automatic target switching. For two reasons: 1) keeping a network together might require automatic retargeting of dishes on ships that are on rails, and we're not set up for that, and 2) every network is different, so there's no real way to design a smarter behavior that would make everyone happy. When kOS gets enough support for operating parts' controls that it can retarget antennas, that will help with the latter, although it will still take some forethought to make sure relays that are on rails don't need to retarget.

The only way to cover multiple targets with a dish right now is to target the planet or moon they're orbiting with a dish that has a wide enough cone to cover all of the desired targets.

The thing is some antenas have a narrow cone of communication. For these ones, you need to point directly to the sat.

A smart and good solution, besides the Planet or Body Target, is to have a list of targets, like 3 targets i could use, so, when one got down, it drop for the next, and so on. That would be perfect for me.

Edited by Climberfx

I know this isn't ideal, and it doesn't directly solve the problem, but you can already simulate target priority switching by careful placement of your orbits and attaching multiple dishes to your comsat. So if (for example) one of your KSO satellites goes behind the planet relative to you, if you have another two dishes pointing at the other two, you still have communication.

Of course this can end up with truly massive communication satellites, especially in distant systems.

Hello Guys,

I have a Problem with Remotetech2 : It doesent work.

I Installed (by moving the files into the Gamedata-Folder) and I can see some new antennas and dishes and the map-layers-buttons (you know, that ones down of the right corner), but the "not-" connections doesent work.

I can Orbit with not manned vessels around Kerbin without the loss of control.

Does somebody know what I forget to do?

And Next question: I can only see the dishes at sandbox mode but not in Career. Can I change this?

Game Version: 24.2

Remotetech 1.4.0

Mods: Mechjeb, Stationscience, Infernal robotics, KEngineer

Hello Guys,

I have a Problem with Remotetech2 : It doesent work.

I Installed (by moving the files into the Gamedata-Folder) and I can see some new antennas and dishes and the map-layers-buttons (you know, that ones down of the right corner), but the "not-" connections doesent work.

I can Orbit with not manned vessels around Kerbin without the loss of control.

Does somebody know what I forget to do?

And Next question: I can only see the dishes at sandbox mode but not in Career. Can I change this?

Game Version: 24.2

Remotetech 1.4.0

Mods: Mechjeb, Stationscience, Infernal robotics, KEngineer

Do you have more then 1 ModuleManager *.*.* installed ?

I have a question. If I use 2 different types of dishes to communicate, will only the shortest ranged dish range matter, or will the stronger allow for that range to increase in some respect, given its "presumed" stronger signal?

Also, what happend with the 1.4.1? Did some critical bug turn up, and if so, should I use the Build 47 or Build 49?

Still no 0.24.2 update.

Is this mod dead??

No, there's been fairly recent discussion on the issues and pull requests in the Github repo. However, it seems that none of the pull requests have been merged into the repo yet, though. I did notice quite a few were on hold for a future release and not 1.4.1, but it appears that they have a fairly reasonable vision for 1.4.1 but haven't merged the code and released that update. IIRC, 1.4.1 should be a 0.24 compatible release.

Hello all! I am having an issue making connections from the Mun, and was hoping someone can shed some light on the issue.

I have a SCIENCE! vessel in orbit around the Mun. It has a Comms DTS-M1 dish and a Reflectron DP-10. I have the dish active and it has Kerbin as the target. It seems that I can only make a connection when the KSC is directly visible...the dish is not making a connection with any of the CommSats that I have in orbit around Kerbin, each with their own omni Communotron 16. I have checked the dish angle in the map view and Kerbin (as well as the CommSat network) are all within the beam path.

I read several posts in the thread that made it seem that a dish, when using a planet as a target, could use Omnis to make connections back to KSC. Is this not true?

My plan was to use the dish on the SCIENCE! vessel to connect to the omni antenna on the Commsats around Kerbin, and then use the small Reflectron on the SCIENCE! vessel to connect to a few sats that I have in orbit around the Mun (they are all within 500km of the vessel).

Hello all! I am having an issue making connections from the Mun, and was hoping someone can shed some light on the issue.

I have a SCIENCE! vessel in orbit around the Mun. It has a Comms DTS-M1 dish and a Reflectron DP-10. I have the dish active and it has Kerbin as the target. It seems that I can only make a connection when the KSC is directly visible...the dish is not making a connection with any of the CommSats that I have in orbit around Kerbin, each with their own omni Communotron 16. I have checked the dish angle in the map view and Kerbin (as well as the CommSat network) are all within the beam path.

I read several posts in the thread that made it seem that a dish, when using a planet as a target, could use Omnis to make connections back to KSC. Is this not true?

My plan was to use the dish on the SCIENCE! vessel to connect to the omni antenna on the Commsats around Kerbin, and then use the small Reflectron on the SCIENCE! vessel to connect to a few sats that I have in orbit around the Mun (they are all within 500km of the vessel).

You would have to have Sat's around kerbin with a dish that is pointing to Mun that as the range to get there kerbin sat's targe mun and mun sat's targe kerbin your network can stay with in omni range.

EDIT- And about 3 post up might help you http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83305-Development-Resumed-RemoteTech-2?p=1375215&viewfull=1#post1375215

EDIT- Your like try to use a Walkie Talkie to talk to some1 halfway around the world and they got a ham radio ya the ham may reach you but your Walkie Talkie not reaching him.

EDIT- This might help too http://ryohpops.github.io/kspRemoteTechPlanner/

Edited by Mecripp2

You would have to have Sat's around kerbin with a dish that is pointing to Mun that as the range to get there kerbin sat's targe mun and mun sat's targe kerbin your network can stay with in omni range.

And the Sat around Kerbin, with a a dish targetting Mun, would also need to have an omni antenna to connect to the Kerbin network, right?

That post is talking about two dishes of varying ranges talking to each other. I was basing my plan on posts like these:

A dish can talk to multiple things if it's targeted at something like a planet or moon

If the dish is pointed at a planet or moon, anything inside this cone can achieve a connection with the dish.

If the dish’s target is set to a planet or moon, it can simultaneously maintain a link to all targets that are within a cone centered on that planet and that are within that planet or moon’s sphere of influence.

So I was under the assumption that any omni in the dishes beam could receive the signal and re-transmit it, just like it can with a signal from other omnis. I guess that assumption was incorrect: dishes can only talk to dishes and omnis can only talk to omnis.

That link only helps with calculating coverage in orbit around a single body, it does not discuss inter-planetary comms.

As long as I remember that dishes only talk to dishes, omnis only talk to omnis, then I'll be fine. That little tidbit isn't mentioned anywhere in the Wiki or in this thread...as far as I can find after multiple searches...so now that I know this I can get a commsat into Kerbin polar orbit with a dish (target at the Mun) and a large omni to connect to the Kerbin network.

EDIT: Ok, while reading the Basic Rules section of the Wiki again I saw the part about how "both satellites must have an antenna that can reach as far as the other satellite." So dish-dish and omni-omni is not actually correct...it comes down to the fact that both antenna must be able to reach each other.

So in the example provided:

Example: a probe with a Communotron 16 antenna (range 2500 km) and a probe with a CommTech-1 dish (350,000,000 km) are located 3000 km apart. Although the CommTech-1 is one of the most powerful dishes in RemoteTech, the two probes cannot link because the first probe can never link to anything more than 2500 km away – unless, of course, it has a longer-range antenna in addition to the Communotron 16.

If the CommTech-1 dish was within 2500km of the Communotron 16 then they could create a link, even though one is a dish and the other is an omni. Now I understand!

Edited by ThirdHorseman
Added info I found after posting...

omni antenna can only talk to others if there in there range don't matter if it as a dish with long range then you would have to use the dish to connect.

EDIT- most would thing have a network that is all in omni antenna range around the planet body so you can connect around the planet for launch or landing but dishes to planet body give there is a good cone alittle out side of the planet to get sat's in orbit.

Sup Guys, I am A bit confused. I have my Sat Network up in running in Geo-Sync orbit. All are at 1 day orbit Period. Everything is working, I can send A probe to Minmus and Control it their and back. However, I can not relay science back to Kerbal. What Am i doing wrong ? Thanks for any help.

If anyone is interested in joining the Remote Technologies Group, the group that now maintain the mod, just contact Erendrake, Starstrider42, Peppie23 or Warrenseymour.

Even better: just start improving it and submit a pull request on GitHub. There's plenty of bugs to fix!

Are you running 64 or 32bit? Had you installed the patch after installing the base mod?

I was trying out 64bit and had a similar experience (control-but when I tried to transmit data, "No Comms Detected.." message). Perhaps it was a bad install, perhaps it was early in the patch development, but I reverted to .24.2 32bit and I'm working fine now.