[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I'd actually say your optimum orbits are a little too high. If there were more overlap between the antennas, the network would be more resistant to satellites drifting out of formation.

Fair enough. I personally am a perfectionist when I position things but yeah I might remake some diagrams with more room for error if you'd like. :)

Still, those are very nice diagrams. Would you mind if we added them to the manual (giving proper credit of course)?

Yeah of course. I'll make more if you're going to add it to the manual. A few for each antenna type using different numbers of satellites etc.

Lovely diagrams, I recently made a spread sheet with all kinds of useful information, like exact orbital period, resonant orbit period and such. The numbers match yours closely. What did you use to make these?

At first I was trying to do it with maths but that just frustrated me to no end so I opened up my 3D program (Cinema 4D) created the scene then lifted the satellites until they only just reached. Then I rounded down that height to the nearest 100km. Easy :P

Edited by Lucid Hills

In RT2, rounded to 300Mm/s. You can find the setting in RemoteTech_Settings.cfg (SpeedOfLight = 3E+08). Quick math, means that a signal delay of 7s means a signal travel distance of approx. 2.1Bm (2,100,000,000). If it were orbiting Kerbol, that would be nearly equivalent to Duna's orbital paramaters.

Technically, c is 299,792,458m/s and you could modify the value to reflect that. (I do. Don't include the comma separators.)

Cool, thanks. I'll do the same with c since Cliph mentioned some extra time is added anyways due to a bug so a reduction in the speed of light setting should help counter that a bit.

I also found that Mission Architect, which I'm using to get to Duna, can give me distance from any body along the time of my orbit. Sweeet

Ok, so a weird little quirk happened to my save just now. I had 3 geosynchronous satellites round Kerbin... Then two of them just vanished... The Munar probe I just launched is even "connected" to one of them. Only it's not there anymore...

Is that a known bug or is something wrong with my save?

Edit: DISREGARD! I'm an idiot and have been looking at the wrong orbits...

Edited by BananaDealer

I found a quirk that I think is in RT2...

1. Make sure you have a satellite connection to launch area.

2. Make a small rocket (solid rocket booster) with a probe ready for launch on pad.

3. Bring up the RT computer and select RAD + then launch, or launch and select RAD + or prograde to surface.

On my system it would make the screen black but you still have interface control and looks like control of the rocket still, but no visual. ESC then go back to Space Center screen is still black and cannot select anything. ESC for menu and exit to main menu and reload save, problem persists. Must exit KSP all the way then go back in to save game.

Anyone else?

I've watched several videos using RemoteTech. I'm interesting in using it, but from the videos it looks like all the lines showing connections between transmitters/receivers can be rather cluttering if not downright confusing. Is there a way to turn off this display, or even better filter the display of connections?

I've watched several videos using RemoteTech. I'm interesting in using it, but from the videos it looks like all the lines showing connections between transmitters/receivers can be rather cluttering if not downright confusing. Is there a way to turn off this display, or even better filter the display of connections?

There are buttons in the lower right corner of the screen to turn on and off different groups of connection lines.

I'd like to make a suggestion for next release: make the target selection list on the dish antennas filter the crafts. At the very least, not to show debris. Prefferably, to use the same filter as the orbital map scene is using.

I'd like to make a suggestion for next release: make the target selection list on the dish antennas filter the crafts. At the very least, not to show debris. Prefferably, to use the same filter as the orbital map scene is using.
Or heck, if there is going to be an update can we get a text search bar at the bottom? I tend to name my craft in a way that would make it easy for me to find the one I want with just a few letters and with over 100 active flights on one of my saves, its a bit hard to find the right craft in a scrolling list.

I am not sure that what's appening to me is by design or a bug,

I have 3 satellites:

Sat1 around kerbin, with a communotron 32 and a Reflectron R-14 (set to "Active Vessel")

Sat2 around Duna with the same antennas (reflectron set to "Kerbin")

Sat3 around Duna with just the communotron 32

everything is in range and should work, but when the Sat3 is the active vessel it doesn't get any signal (even if Sat2 is inside the cone of Sat1)

is this by design?

I am not sure that what's appening to me is by design or a bug,

I have 3 satellites:

Sat1 around kerbin, with a communotron 32 and a Reflectron R-14 (set to "Active Vessel")

Sat2 around Duna with the same antennas (reflectron set to "Kerbin")

Sat3 around Duna with just the communotron 32

everything is in range and should work, but when the Sat3 is the active vessel it doesn't get any signal (even if Sat2 is inside the cone of Sat1)

is this by design?

Yes. Sat3 has not range enough to connect to Kerbin, and when it is the "Active Vessel", Sat 1 points the dish to it while Sat2 has no more connection, so can't work as a relay.

Best thing would be to set the KR-14 with Sat1 to Sat2, and the KR-14 with Sat2 to Sat1, that would make sure they connect even if far away from the respective body (beyond the field of view of 0.04°). Connection would then exist when Sat1 is visible to KSC, within 5000Km, and if Sat2 and Sat 3 are visible to each other and within that distance.

Yes. Sat3 has not range enough to connect to Kerbin, and when it is the "Active Vessel", Sat 1 points the dish to it while Sat2 has no more connection, so can't work as a relay.

Best thing would be to set the KR-14 with Sat1 to Sat2, and the KR-14 with Sat2 to Sat1, that would make sure they connect even if far away from the respective body (beyond the field of view of 0.04°). Connection would then exist when Sat1 is visible to KSC, within 5000Km, and if Sat2 and Sat 3 are visible to each other and within that distance.

I get that, It works even if I set Sat1 to point to "Duna", because Sat2 never goes out of the antenna range.

I was just curious why if the antenna is pointed to the planet, a non-active satellite inside the cone can act as a relay but not If I point the antenna to the active satellite (and the supposed relay is still inside the cone)

I get that, It works even if I set Sat1 to point to "Duna", because Sat2 never goes out of the antenna range.

I was just curious why if the antenna is pointed to the planet, a non-active satellite inside the cone can act as a relay but not If I point the antenna to the active satellite (and the supposed relay is still inside the cone)

Because of the way the cone works with dishes, that is only active when pointed at planetary bodies. You can't have it set to active vessel and have the cone at the same time, that is by design.

Because of the way the cone works with dishes, that is only active when pointed at planetary bodies. You can't have it set to active vessel and have the cone at the same time, that is by design.

Ah ok, I thought I could get away with just 1 antenna for different planets, so basically I Need to change target each time I want to move a satellite on a different planet or put different antennas for each planet...

It feels odd that it's supposed to work this way...

Thanks for the help :)

(also, If I target Ike I cant use the relay around duna, I guess that's by design too)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65401284/Sat123.png

Edited by Sigma88
image was big, best to use just the link

Ah ok, I thought I could get away with just 1 antenna for different planets, so basically I Need to change target each time I want to move a satellite on a different planet or put different antennas for each planet...

It feels odd that it's supposed to work this way...

Thanks for the help :)

(also, If I target Ike I cant use the relay around duna, I guess that's by design too)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65401284/Sat123.png

Neither of those is by design. The inconsistent cone behavior is a bug, and it's a big priority for fixing.

Or heck, if there is going to be an update can we get a text search bar at the bottom? I tend to name my craft in a way that would make it easy for me to find the one I want with just a few letters and with over 100 active flights on one of my saves, its a bit hard to find the right craft in a scrolling list.

I've added a search box to the feature request list, but it will be *very* hard to make work with the current framework. But do you really have 100 flights all in the same sphere of influence? If not, you can minimize the planets you're not looking for.

To answer the original post, I'm already working on a debris filter, adding support for other spacecraft types shouldn't be too hard.

Edited by Starstrider42

Neither of those is by design. The inconsistent cone behavior is a bug, and it's a big priority for fixing.

thank you :)

I thought it was too weird to be intended :)

btw, is there a way to bypass the no-connection, maybe from the cheats panel? Sometimes a stupid mistake can set you back a lot :D

I've added a search box to the feature request list, but it will be *very* hard to make work with the current framework. But do you really have 100 flights all in the same sphere of influence? If not, you can minimize the planets you're not looking for.
I have 100+ across the entire save but ~70 of them are around kerbin. Most of that is my solar power network from KSPI which beams power around for me. All of my craft are named sensibly though, so with just three characters I could sort it down to a handful of craft that I want to see. If it is too difficult to do, that's fine. Just thought I'd make the request and see. :)

Originally there were no cones, then planetary cones were added, and the satellite targeting was never adjusted to work with a cone. Not much effort to change it though. I think. I've rewritten that section three times since then and the official release is still using the first revision :P.

Originally there were no cones, then planetary cones were added, and the satellite targeting was never adjusted to work with a cone. Not much effort to change it though. I think. I've rewritten that section three times since then and the official release is still using the first revision :P.

I have another question:

Is it possible to set the antenna to deploy after X amount of time?

It would be useful to:

1- retract antenna

2- aerobrake

3- auto-deploy antenna

I have another question:

Is it possible to set the antenna to deploy after X amount of time?

It would be useful to:

1- retract antenna

2- aerobrake

3- auto-deploy antenna

It is, but you need to have either "deploy antenna" or "toggle antenna" bound to an action group. Then, you can type in a delay, hit the action group, and the deployment will be scheduled. There's a bit more detail in the re-entry tutorial. The changes you need to make for an aerobraking flight path are pretty straightforward.