[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I have a pretty basic question. I have set up a network of 3 satellites in synchronous orbits, spread evenly along the orbit. I would like to launch vessels, set their antenna to target Kerbin or KSC, and have it automatically find a path through the satellites.

The sat 1 has a connection to KSC and Sat 2, Sat 2 has connection to Sat 1 and Sat 3, Sat 3 has to 2. All Sats also has a main long range dish set to Active Vessel.

But I have to manually target one of the satellites with the dish on my active vessel, and as soon as it gets blocked behind Kerbin connection is lost, even if the vessel has clear Line of sight to the other 2 satellites.

What am I doing wrong? Why can't I just set the satellites to active vessel, set the vessel to KSC and have it automatically switch?

I have a pretty basic question. I have set up a network of 3 satellites in synchronous orbits, spread evenly along the orbit. I would like to launch vessels, set their antenna to target Kerbin or KSC, and have it automatically find a path through the satellites.

The sat 1 has a connection to KSC and Sat 2, Sat 2 has connection to Sat 1 and Sat 3, Sat 3 has to 2. All Sats also has a main long range dish set to Active Vessel.

But I have to manually target one of the satellites with the dish on my active vessel, and as soon as it gets blocked behind Kerbin connection is lost, even if the vessel has clear Line of sight to the other 2 satellites.

What am I doing wrong? Why can't I just set the satellites to active vessel, set the vessel to KSC and have it automatically switch?

Unfortunately RT2 doesn't do the kind of automatic routing you're trying to do. Setting your dish to target KSC means it is NOT pointed at the satellites. If you have an Omni antennae with enough range you can use that to connect. Try putting on a long range Omni antennae.

Do dishes still double the range of an Omni antenna on the target craft?

I haven't played RT2 in a long time, but if I recall correctly, that only works when you are far enough from Kerbin that the "cone of visibility" of the dish you have pointed at Kerbin also covers the LKO satellites--typically outside Kerbin's SOI. So if you have a craft in Duna orbit pointed at Kerbin, it will link with anything in the Kerbin system that is also pointed at Duna. But within a system, you have to manually configure the network. I remember setting up a Munar network by putting an omni and three dishes on each satellite, and putting three around Kerbin and three around the Mun. Then each Mun satellite had a dish link to each Kerbin satellite, and omni links to each other, so there was always at least one path available.

Unfortunately RT2 doesn't do the kind of automatic routing you're trying to do.
I really should. Once the network is setup, micromanaging connections manually for each craft and situation is just asking for dead crafts floating in space and frustrated players.

I really should. Once the network is setup, micromanaging connections manually for each craft and situation is just asking for dead crafts floating in space and frustrated players.

I agree with you. I like the mod's concept but the reality of it is just a micromanagement chore. You can just change all of the antennae into omni to get the automatic connections though, which is what I have done.

The way I've been in the habit of doing networks requires basically zero micromanagement:

• Omnis in low-to-medium equatorial orbits around Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, and anywhere else I develop a full-time presence. That way I don't need dishes for the busiest orbits at all.
  • Don't worry about synchronous orbit. If the omnis are in range of each other, one of them is in range of KSC.
  • A DTS-M1 in cone mode covers low Mun or Minmus orbit from low Kerbin orbit and vice versa. Two or three relays in each SoI with dishes for each of the others, and each body's low-orbit omni constellation is linked to the others.
  • Interplanetary probes use 88-88s in pairs. I target each one on a different LKO relay satellite, have an "active vessel" dish on each relay satellite, and forget it.
  • Kerbin-orbit relays with outer-planets dishes (e.g. GX-128) in medium-low orbit (1000km or a little under) so a probe's GX-128 in cone mode covers both before the 88-88s go out of range.
  • Kerbin-orbit relays include a dish of the appropriate range targeting each planet, so I don't have dedicate a dish to a mothership that wants to relay to a sub-probe as long as it's in a planet's SOI.
  • A couple of spare dishes on each relay so if I do something that does need a dedicated link or two, I don't have to launch more satellites.

• Omnis in low-to-medium equatorial orbits around Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, and anywhere else I develop a full-time presence. That way I don't need dishes for the busiest orbits at all.
  • Don't worry about synchronous orbit. If the omnis are in range of each other, one of them is in range of KSC.

Here's some diagrams I made earlier on the type of network you're talking about here for people wanting to know how high to place their satellites.

I have put one satellite into Eve orbit and one smaller probe which I intend to land on Eve. The satellite has 4 dishes and 3 omni antenna, it is connected and everything is OK

screenshot2.png

But the when I switch to the small probe, which has only Omni antenna, I get no connection like this:

screenshot1.png

Why the Eve satellite does not route signal to kerbin? Both satellite and the probe are using RC-001S cores.

I'm betting your Kerbin satellite is pointed to "active vessel" -- which, in the second example, is the lander. If you want to route a connection through a satellite while it's not the active vessel, you need to either target that vessel directly or, if you want to avoid the micromanagement the posters above you were complaining about, target the planet.

This is the most frequently asked question; see http://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/overview/#connection-rules (particularly the bottom) for more info on how the connection modes work in the current version of RT. Hopefully the next version will make this a bit less of a problem, by having antenna cones apply no matter what is being targeted.

(sorry for my bad english)

hi, ive been looking everywhere for the remottech_config.cfg file, but even after 10hrs of play time still dont seem to show up ...

(i would like to switch off the signal delay)

i tryed looking everywhere in the remote tech 2 folder but doesnt seem to be here at all ...

am i missing something ?

thanks and sorry (cause i guess this question as been asked somewhere else but couldnt find it ...)

(sorry for my bad english)

hi, ive been looking everywhere for the remottech_config.cfg file, but even after 10hrs of play time still dont seem to show up ...

(i would like to switch off the signal delay)

i tryed looking everywhere in the remote tech 2 folder but doesnt seem to be here at all ...

am i missing something ?

thanks and sorry (cause i guess this question as been asked somewhere else but couldnt find it ...)

Here if you need 1 just copy it to your RT2 folder https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/RT2_Settings.cfg.zip

(escuse me for my bad english)

hi, ive been looking everywhere on the internet, about the "signal delay config file" everywhere its said, its in remottech 2 folder, and its coming after the first load of the game,

ok, but the things its i dont see any file like this even after playing for 10 hrs or so, so ive checked absolutly ALL .cfg and nothing

am i really missing something ???

ive checked everywhere for this, and havent found a solution to my problem sry, for the disturbing things ...

thank you

Are you wanting to change the the delay to be accurate to the true speed of light or maybe remove the delay all together?

If this is what you're wanting to do then I believe what you're looking for is the SpeedOfLight field in the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg file located here:

GameData\RemoteTech2\RemoteTech_Settings.cfg

Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Woops. I should reload to check for new posts before answering.

Edited by diomedea
changed referenced post because was a duplicate

I'm getting exceptions making game sometimes crash/lag/dissappear HUD after staging one craft into two vessels, both with RT processors.

Is it known bug? It seems like it's similar case to vessel duplication bug, except it doesn't duplicate craft now, just throws a lot of exceptions in log. Bug reproduction is same as to vessel duplication in last version (before 0.24 support)

The way I've been in the habit of doing networks requires basically zero micromanagement:

• A DTS-M1 in cone mode covers low Mun or Minmus orbit from low Kerbin orbit and vice versa. Two or three relays in each SoI with dishes for each of the others, and each body's low-orbit omni constellation is linked to the others.
  • Interplanetary probes use 88-88s in pairs. I target each one on a different LKO relay satellite, have an "active vessel" dish on each relay satellite, and forget it.
  • Kerbin-orbit relays with outer-planets dishes (e.g. GX-128) in medium-low orbit (1000km or a little under) so a probe's GX-128 in cone mode covers both before the 88-88s go out of range.
  • Kerbin-orbit relays include a dish of the appropriate range targeting each planet, so I don't have dedicate a dish to a mothership that wants to relay to a sub-probe as long as it's in a planet's SOI.
  • A couple of spare dishes on each relay so if I do something that does need a dedicated link or two, I don't have to launch more satellites.

the problem with this setup is that you will need much more antennas to connect kerbin to other planets.

if the cone was working when the dish is pointed to "active vessel" then you would just need one (technically at least 2 since sometimes the planet would be between the source and the target if you have only 1, but you get the point) kerbin dish to connect to any of the internal planets

because even if you point to a satellite that doesn't have a dish, the relay satellite would be still inside the cone, and relay the signal.

Sadly this doesn't work so you need antennas pointed specifically to the planet, meaning you either need to change target each time, or need to send up a s**t load of antennas in kerbin orbit :D

Edited by Sigma88

I'm getting exceptions making game sometimes crash/lag/dissappear HUD after staging one craft into two vessels, both with RT processors.

Is it known bug? It seems like it's similar case to vessel duplication bug, except it doesn't duplicate craft now, just throws a lot of exceptions in log. Bug reproduction is same as to vessel duplication in last version (before 0.24 support)

This sounds like a known bug, but more info will be very helpful. Can you please post your KSP_Data/output_log.txt (or KSP_x64_Data, whichever applies) and preferably a savefile and modlist to https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/4? The logs will help us figure out where the exceptions are coming from.

the problem with this setup is that you will need much more antennas to connect kerbin to other planets.

Sadly this doesn't work so you need antennas pointed specifically to the planet, meaning you either need to change target each time, or need to send up a s**t load of antennas in kerbin orbit :D

That has been the standard setup for most players -- have your "main" Kerbin comsats have a dish for each planet where you want relays. It does mean bigger satellites, but once you've launched them they work without further management.

Edited by Starstrider42

Hi there,

Just wondering if there is a way to disable the ability that the MechJeb AR-202 Case has that acts as if a Kerbal were steering the craft it is attached to. I would like it to act like any other probe body when it comes to requiring contact with mission control.

Hi there,

Just wondering if there is a way to disable the ability that the MechJeb AR-202 Case has that acts as if a Kerbal were steering the craft it is attached to. I would like it to act like any other probe body when it comes to requiring contact with mission control.

I'd be willing to say that MechJeb should be able to control the vessel regardless of contact, but interacting with it (telling it to do anything) should be limited. So you have to be in contact to tell it to circularize your orbit, but once you've given the command to execute next node, it could be out of contact and still perform the maneuver. It's sort of the same way kOS works.

It should, Do you have more then 1 ModuleManager.*.*.* installed ?

No sir. Only 2.3.4

I'd be willing to say that MechJeb should be able to control the vessel regardless of contact, but interacting with it (telling it to do anything) should be limited. So you have to be in contact to tell it to circularize your orbit, but once you've given the command to execute next node, it could be out of contact and still perform the maneuver. It's sort of the same way kOS works.

I think I understand now. While the craft that has the MechJeb part on it is out of contact I am not able to issue new commands. Only the commands that were issued prior to contact loss will be executed?

Is that the way it actually works or are you suggesting that this should be the behavior but it does not do that currently?

Is that the way it actually works or are you suggesting that this should be the behavior but it does not do that currently?

Suggesting. As it stands, you can access the MechJeb interface anytime, but it will only control the craft when it's in contact (trying to remember if it will maintain control in blackout areas).

Suggesting. As it stands, you can access the MechJeb interface anytime, but it will only control the craft when it's in contact (trying to remember if it will maintain control in blackout areas).

*facepalm* You know. I thought the way you worded that seemed as if. I just can never be sure with the intrawebz.