[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

In addition to deleting RemoteTech.dll, you need to delete all the *_Antennas.cfg files. Those delete the stock antenna functions to keep them from conflicting with RemoteTech. That would let the stock antennas work again. It won't make the new RemoteTech antennas work in stock; for that, you'd need a special config file. I thought there was one somewhere on this thread, but I haven't been able to find it. :(

@HerrGeneral

I looked for the file too but could not find it, so I put one together. It applies the stock module to RT antennas, with stockish values. If it violates any rule, I'll remove it asap.

Here goes, instructions are inside (open with notepad):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dy56tv277z4t1eh/RTantennas_stockmodule.cfg?dl=0

Enjoy!

Now something that sprang into my head this morning,are contracts for comm connections possible ?

Well I already effectivly use Fine Print and Mission Controller (which actively supports RemoteTech) for this. Whenever it gives me a contract to Put a satelite into some orbit, I interper it as putting a comunication satelite in orbit. This basicly allows me to extend my communication network and get paid for it.

Edited by FreeThinker

I'm having an issue with the Remote Guidance Unit. It seems to work fine whenever the base is within loading distance, but then the base stops being a viable command post once I'm high in orbit.

I set up a base on Minmus: Ten Kerbals in four ships interlinked by (docked) KAS winches. One of those ships has the guidance unit, as well as omnis and dishes. I've been launching comsats from that base (using Extraplanetary Launchpads) and they've been operating fine. During takeoff, they maintain line-of-sight with the base, and the base is considered a command post, with the red dot on the orbital map view.

But at some point while I was doing corrections with my satellite in a 2,000,000m orbit around Minmus, I realised that I was losing connection every time Mission Control went around the other side of Kerbin  I haven't set up satellites around Kerbin yet. The red dot was gone, and even though I confirmed I had an omni link to Minmus base, I wasn't getting control. Switched to the base, red dot back. Switched to the satellite, red dot gone.

Is this a known limitation of remote stations, or a bug?

I'm having an issue with the Remote Guidance Unit. It seems to work fine whenever the base is within loading distance, but then the base stops being a viable command post once I'm high in orbit.

But at some point while I was doing corrections with my satellite in a 2,000,000m orbit around Minmus, I realised that I was losing connection every time Mission Control went around the other side of Kerbin  I haven't set up satellites around Kerbin yet. The red dot was gone, and even though I confirmed I had an omni link to Minmus base, I wasn't getting control. Switched to the base, red dot back. Switched to the satellite, red dot gone.

This sounds like a bug. Is there a save file you could post to Github (https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues)?

@HerrGeneral

I looked for the file too but could not find it, so I put one together. It applies the stock module to RT antennas, with stockish values. If it violates any rule, I'll remove it asap.

Here goes, instructions are inside (open with notepad):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dy56tv277z4t1eh/RTantennas_stockmodule.cfg?dl=0

Enjoy!

This is pretty great, thanks! I love the look of RT antennas but sometimes I just can't be arsed to put the effort into dealing with satellite constellations and such. Much appreciated!

Unfortunately, placeholder models are a compatibility nightmare; updating them can (literally) break every vessel that uses them.

Also, while thinking about what could be used as a placeholder, I realized something that seems a little obvious in hindsight: a number of people have complained about losing contact because they were using the Reflectron KR-7 when they thought they had the KR-14, or vice versa. It's probably not a coincidence that these are the only two dishes in RemoteTech that look almost identical.

Since we've got a good list of model-related issues at this point, maybe I should put out a help wanted ad.

It appears we have found a antenna modeller and he has already mode some dish models we can use. You can find them at [0.25] ORIGAMI foldable antenna dishes for RemoteTech I think we could use them them to integrate in a more balanced collection of dishes.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Model

[/TD]

[TD]Diameter

[/TD]

[TD]Max Range

[/TD]

[TD]Covers KEO

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Comm DTS-M1[/TD]

[TD]45 deg[/TD]

[TD]50.000 km[/TD]

[TD]9100 km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Reflectron KR-7[/TD]

[TD]25 deg[/TD]

[TD]90.000 km[/TD]

[TD]16.000 km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Communotron 44-44

[/TD]

[TD]4.8 deg

[/TD]

[TD]500.000 km

[/TD]

[TD]82.400 km

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Communotron 88-88[/TD]

[TD]1.2 deg

[/TD]

[TD]2.000.000 km

[/TD]

[TD]330.000 km

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]NAU_ORI69Gm[/TD]

[TD]0.3 deg[/TD]

[TD]6.900.000 km[/TD]

[TD]1.320.000 km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Reflectron KR-14

[/TD]

[TD]0.06 deg

[/TD]

[TD]40.000.000 km

[/TD]

[TD]6.600.000 km

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CommTech-1[/TD]

[TD]0.03 deg

[/TD]

[TD]80.000.000 km

[/TD]

[TD]13.200.000 km

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Reflectron GX-128[/TD]

[TD]0.01 deg

[/TD]

[TD]200.000.000 km

[/TD]

[TD]39.500.000 km

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] NAU_ORI350Gm

[/TD]

[TD]0.005 deg

[/TD]

[TD]400.000.000 km

[/TD]

[TD]79.000.000 km[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by FreeThinker

It appears we have found a antenna modeller and he has already mode some dish models we can use. You can find them at [0.25] ORIGAMI foldable antenna dishes for RemoteTech I think we could use them them to integrate in a more balanced collection of dishes.[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Model

[/TD]

[TD]Diameter

[/TD]

[TD]Max Range

[/TD]

[TD]Covers KEO

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Comm DTS-M1[/TD]

[TD]45 deg[/TD]

[TD]50.000 km[/TD]

[TD]9100 km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Reflectron KR-7[/TD]

[TD]25 deg[/TD]

[TD]90.000 km[/TD]

[TD]16.000 km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Communotron 44-44

[/TD]

[TD]4.8 deg

[/TD]

[TD]500.000 km

[/TD]

[TD]82.400 km

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Communotron 88-88[/TD]

[TD]1.2 deg

[/TD]

[TD]2.000.000 km

[/TD]

[TD]330.000 km

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]NAU_ORI69Gm[/TD]

[TD]0.3 deg[/TD]

[TD]6.900.000 km[/TD]

[TD]1.320.000 km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Reflectron KR-14

[/TD]

[TD]0.06 deg

[/TD]

[TD]40.000.000 km

[/TD]

[TD]6.600.000 km

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CommTech-1[/TD]

[TD]0.03 deg

[/TD]

[TD]80.000.000 km

[/TD]

[TD]13.200.000 km

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Reflectron GX-128[/TD]

[TD]0.01 deg

[/TD]

[TD]200.000.000 km

[/TD]

[TD]39.500.000 km

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] NAU_ORI350Gm

[/TD]

[TD]0.005 deg

[/TD]

[TD]400.000.000 km

[/TD]

[TD]79.000.000 km[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Thanks for the link. I'll contact IGNOBIL and see if they're interested.

BTW, did you mean to give the 88-88 the wrong stats? It should be max 40,000,000 km, covers KEO at 6,600,000 km, covers Kerbin at 1,100,000.

Edited by Starstrider42

Okay I don't know if this is a bug or not,but I was experimenting with the buoy idea a few posts back,making several craft(I developed them in sandbox) (which cost around 35,000 funds each) to sit in the water & act as com's relay.

The relay worked fine,but when exiting time warp or loading the buoy,the communitron-32,sitting on top would disappear,I haven't tested it yet wheter the same thing happens on land or whether this is an issue with the antenna breaking off due to the craft being 'splashed down'

Thanks for the link. I'll contact IGNOBIL and see if they're interested.

BTW, did you mean to give the 88-88 the wrong stats? It should be max 40,000,000 km, covers KEO at 6,600,000 km, covers Kerbin at 1,100,000.

I know, I intentionaly downgrated this small 88-88 to shorter range and replacing it by a bigger dish antanna

Regarding models for ReoteTech, I found several other models (both dishes and omni range) in other mods that might be even better, like in Lack Luster Labs Pack

Edited by FreeThinker

Regading the power use of all Antanna and Dishes, are there plans to change it's power consumption because currently they require amazingly little power when acting as a relay station. If set permanently in a communication network, at worst they would constantly send and therefore use the same amount of power when sending science data.

Regarding science power, currently all antenna's require the same amount of power for sending research. Shouldn't this scale with the comlink power somehow?

Eventually, yes. Cilph never got around to it, and my experiments with tweaking science requirements led to a horribly unbalanced game (i.e., omnis were overpowered, giga-dishes were underpowered). I believe Pirsig was going to take a stab at it (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83305?p=1458424#post1458424).

As for antenna specs, while we can change power consumption fairly easily, changing range and angle would break saves, so we won't be doing that until we really need to.

Once I have time for more than writing forum posts, I'm planning to whip up an optional config that redoes the antenna specs according to a different system. I'll post it here for people who want to be guinea pigs.

I am running a pretty modded environment. Performance is great and I have no error messages popping up in the log. However, once I start placing satellites in various orbits to cater to my communications need, I am having a lot of stutter issues. The game will run for 3-10 seconds, then freeze 1 second. If I take out the RemoteTech.dll file, the game runs 100% fine again. Any suggestions what could cause this?

Edit: I should mention that this stutter is only when I am in flight. When viewing my sats in the tracking station, I have no issues.

Hi, I've been using RT for a while now in my current save, and I think it's great. Adds an extra layer of "realism" to my game. But I've got an issue. I just researched the EXP-VR-2T and I set up an orbital network around Kerbin in addition to the 32's network I had up before. Now I've been noticing all of a sudden that when I try going to the tracking station the game simply freezes with no messages while loading the tracking station. I get the little circle in the bottom right corner, the rest of the screen is black.

I went to an earlier save, before I deployed the EXP-VR-2Ts, and everything worked fine, including RemoteTech. I then deployed another ship with EXP-VR-2Ts, and the same problem reappeared. It seems like deploying craft with the EXP-VR-2Ts causes my tracking center to stop functioning. I can still deploy new ships through the vab, and the map works fine and I can switch to other ships that way, but whenever I try to go to the tracking center, the game simply hangs. I did also notice that when I launch another ship through the VAB, and then go to the map view the little filter buttons (the ones that choose what kinds of objects are visible) no longer work.

I noticed that a few weeks ago someone else reported a similar problem on this thread, and uploaded some logs. But I couldn't see any solution listed. Can anyone help?

EDIT: I'm pretty confident now that it's the EXP-VR-2T antenna that's causing the problem. I removed its part file and folder which forced my game to wipe all the craft with it. And now I can use the tracking station just fine.

Edited by mkrco

IWSAF - Episode 14 - Remote Tech 2, Tutorial 2, Expanding Your Network

(In the context of the IWSAF program we launch 6 vehicles to establish a new, longer-ranged relay network complete with a 60Gm capability, and finally a Duna-bound probe for the first time)

I have a question about this mod and I apologize if it has been asked already. I installed the latest version and decided to test it out, I took the first probe core available (the round one) and launched it into orbit with no antenna what so ever. just a couple of batteries to make sure it had power. And when the probe was on the other side of the planet I still had signal. No other flights were in space... Could this be a bug? I tried uninstall and re-install but the problem did not resolve itself. Any ideas?

I have a question about this mod and I apologize if it has been asked already. I installed the latest version and decided to test it out, I took the first probe core available (the round one) and launched it into orbit with no antenna what so ever. just a couple of batteries to make sure it had power. And when the probe was on the other side of the planet I still had signal. No other flights were in space... Could this be a bug? I tried uninstall and re-install but the problem did not resolve itself. Any ideas?

Disregard I got it to work.

bitbucket said:

screenshot25.png

Giorgio Kerman said:
Ancient alien theorists believe that massive triangular formations such as this could only have been made by ancient aliens. I'm not saying it was ancient aliens, but it was ancient aliens. Is such a thing even possible? Yes it is.

Anyway, I noticed in the "Interplanetary Networks" tutorial (https://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/tutorials/long_range/) that you link to a Google Spreadsheet for calculating eclipse duration. Unfortunately, somewhere in the Google-to-LibreOffice transition, the system for splitting the dropdown strings into their separate components broke, so I fixed up the spreadsheet to work in LibreOffice. Feel free to link to it, and if the bandwidth drain on my account gets excessive -- unlikely, but I'll let you know -- I'll let you re-host it: https://github.com/Kerbas-ad-astra/Misc-KSP-files/raw/master/KSP%20Battery%20Calculator%20LibreOffice%20fix.ods

Also, does the 75000 km omni-antenna at KSC participate in the "root range model" like every other antenna? I ask because it's not in the table given in the appendix of the "settings" documentation page.

TheMilkMan38 said:
Disregard I got it to work.

How? You probably won't be the last person to have this issue.

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra
Re-hosted from MF.