[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Starstrider42 wrote a really good "How to" http://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/

And here is the topic about Active Vessel: http://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/overview/#targeting

Every new RT player should read that :)

Edit: btw not updated yet for v1.6

Edited by Peppie23

I'm kinda new with Remote Tech and so far I've got a little setup with 3 keostationnary + 1 polar sat.

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp356/genbrien/KSP2015-01-1314-27-13-08_zps911935a5.jpg

For now, each sat have 4 dishes; 3 of them target the other sats and the remaining one is ''active vessel''

Is it the correct way to go, or can I put 1 to ''active vessel'' and an other one to ''kerbin'' so it would free 2 dishes for later other network?

You should use a single Communitron 32 omni antenna on each sat to connect them together and to the KSC. Dishes should only be used to point at vessels and other planets/moons.

Edited by bdito
clarity

* Save/Restore Flightcomputer values and queued commands.

This is awesome!

I just tested it and it does exactly what I wanted - when you queue up some commands, then switch to another ship, then switch back, the commands are still queued for the first ship.

It really makes running multiple probes at the same time a lot easier.

Great job!

This is awesome!

I just tested it and it does exactly what I wanted - when you queue up some commands, then switch to another ship, then switch back, the commands are still queued for the first ship.

It really makes running multiple probes at the same time a lot easier.

Great job!

Thanks goes to JDP for the initial draft of this :)

The following is not meant offensive: how stable is RT at the moment? In theory I love this mod, but in the past I always had issues and gave up after some time.

I know it's a complex topic and you guys are doing your best. However, mod makers usually have at least a gut feeling how stable their work is (own testing, received bug reports, open but undocumented issues, etc.) at the moment. Would really appreciate it to get an impartial status report :)

So when I setup my various comm sats, I tend to just use the KR-14 and GX-128 antenna. Occassionally I'll use a KR-7 but that's mostly for sats I place around Mun and Minmus. What I'm wondering is, is there a purpose for each antenna or do we just have a bunch so we can have some options? I'm rethinking my comm sat setups and was trying to figure out the "best" antenna to communicate with each planet but realized that, on a planetary scale anyway, there's not a whole lot of difference between the DTS-M1/KR-7, 88-88/KR-14 and Tech-1/GX-128. Other than each pair having a static and an animated antenna, the differences between them don't make either a better or worse choice for most situations. Sure, the KR-7 has more range and a narrower cone compared to the DTS-M1, but either can be used pretty much anywhere in the Kerbin SOI. I guess the 88-88 is a "better" option for relays to Moho and Eve, but the KR-14 would work just as well. And while you pretty much have to use the Tech-1 or GX-128 for relays to Jool and Eeloo, both of those antenna are at least twice as powerful as you absolutely need. Anyway, just wondering which antenna you all prefer for setting up relays between Kerbin and the various planets.

...while you pretty much have to use the Tech-1 or GX-128 for relays to Jool and Eeloo, both of those antenna are at least twice as powerful as you absolutely need. Anyway, just wondering which antenna you all prefer for setting up relays between Kerbin and the various planets.

Well I tend to prefer the GX-128. Somewhat because it weighs a bit less, giving you more DV for your buck. But mostly because I dang well have to since I spent literally days getting the complex armature animation just right ;)

So when I setup my various comm sats, I tend to just use the KR-14 and GX-128 antenna. Occassionally I'll use a KR-7 but that's mostly for sats I place around Mun and Minmus. What I'm wondering is, is there a purpose for each antenna or do we just have a bunch so we can have some options? I'm rethinking my comm sat setups and was trying to figure out the "best" antenna to communicate with each planet but realized that, on a planetary scale anyway, there's not a whole lot of difference between the DTS-M1/KR-7, 88-88/KR-14 and Tech-1/GX-128. Other than each pair having a static and an animated antenna, the differences between them don't make either a better or worse choice for most situations. Sure, the KR-7 has more range and a narrower cone compared to the DTS-M1, but either can be used pretty much anywhere in the Kerbin SOI. I guess the 88-88 is a "better" option for relays to Moho and Eve, but the KR-14 would work just as well. And while you pretty much have to use the Tech-1 or GX-128 for relays to Jool and Eeloo, both of those antenna are at least twice as powerful as you absolutely need. Anyway, just wondering which antenna you all prefer for setting up relays between Kerbin and the various planets.

You're correct. Most of it is simply adding additional options for the same thing.

I'd recommend the DTS-M1 for transmitting to the mun and minimus because it's cheaper, lighter and more compact than the KR-7. The added range of the KR-7 is essentially useless as minimus is always within the DTS-M1's range and you get the bonus of the extra cone angle with the DTS. Also, if you use FAR, the DTS is far more aerodynamic and doesn't require you to use a fairing if you don't want to.

I also use the 88-88 for anything to Duna, Eve and Moho for the same reasons. Cheaper, lighter, more compact, greater cone, aerodynamics.

The CommTech-1 and GX-128 definitely seem like they have excessive range. The furthest Kerbin gets from Eeloo is 127 Gm while the ranges are 350 Gm and 400 Gm respectively. Maybe it's for people using RSS? IDK.

Starstrider42 wrote a really good "How to" http://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/

And here is the topic about Active Vessel: http://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/overview/#targeting

Every new RT player should read that :)

Edit: btw not updated yet for v1.6

Thx

I read it, but not sure if I understood correctly.

Basically, I should not use Active vessels on my sats because they won't link each other, but instead will try to link directly to the active vessel, even if out of reach. So I should use the cone method instead.

Wich I tried

KSP2015-01-1317-57-37-33_zps47ac9645.jpg

But now, not satellite except the one infront of KSC are working. The polar one will work sometimes when it's passing infront of KSC too, but otherwise the network is dead......

I must've missed something because those dishes are strong enough to get to minmus

I also use the 88-88 for anything to Duna, Eve and Moho for the same reasons. Cheaper, lighter, more compact, greater cone, aerodynamics.

Do you find the 88-88 works at Duna? The math says the furthest Duna can get from Kerbin is just over 45Gm which is outside the range for the 88-88. Though for that to happen Duna and Kerbin would have to be on opposite side of Kerbol so there'd be no connection anyway. Just not sure how much of their orbits put them in the +40Gm range while still having LOS.

Do you find the 88-88 works at Duna? The math says the furthest Duna can get from Kerbin is just over 45Gm which is outside the range for the 88-88. Though for that to happen Duna and Kerbin would have to be on opposite side of Kerbol so there'd be no connection anyway. Just not sure how much of their orbits put them in the +40Gm range while still having LOS.

It covers Duna at all times. Duna's orbital apoapsis is ~22 Gm and Kerbin's is 13.6 Gm so if they were at exact opposite sides of the Sun the max distance would be ~35.6 Gm.

I don't know if you've seen the parts guide but it lists the 88-88 as covering Duna at all times. It's pretty handy when you want to see which sat can reach which planet. It sounds like you know all of this but it's a handy reference.

http://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/parts/

Edited by bdito

It covers Duna at all times. Duna's orbital apoapsis is ~22 Gm and Kerbin's is 13.6 Gm so if they were at exact opposite sides of the Sun the max distance would be ~35.6 Gm.

I don't know if you've seen the parts guide but it lists the 88-88 as covering Duna at all times. It's pretty handy when you want to see which sat can reach which planet. It sounds like you know all of this but it's a handy reference.

http://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/parts/

Cool and thanks. I was using the wiki to calculate possible ranges for the planets and messed up my math for Duna. :) I think I'll "build" a dish designed more for Jool and Eeloo. Something with a bit less range and slightly larger angle than the Tech-1 & GX-128 give.

It actually already is. So it looks like it might be an accuracy issue in stock KSP. Do the commands still activate at the specified place (for example: At the correct time relating to a maneuver node)?

I just did a quick test on the launchpad. Wasn't using a node, just aligning orientation to prograde/retrograde etc. It still activates, just not at the original time set. It gets progressively more offset if you reload the vessel multiple times, up to several minutes if you do it enough.

So you're saying that if I set a command at T+1 minute with 10 minutes delay, that the timer gets set to T+11 minutes, and just counts down to that?

Edited by Rayder

Thx

I read it, but not sure if I understood correctly.

Basically, I should not use Active vessels on my sats because they won't link each other, but instead will try to link directly to the active vessel, even if out of reach. So I should use the cone method instead.

Wich I tried

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp356/genbrien/KSP2015-01-1317-57-37-33_zps47ac9645.jpg

But now, not satellite except the one infront of KSC are working. The polar one will work sometimes when it's passing infront of KSC too, but otherwise the network is dead......

I must've missed something because those dishes are strong enough to get to minmus

Let me give this a shot. Note that I am new to this; however, I think I've got this right in my own network.

I am assuming a few things here:

1. You are not using the Root range model (although you may want to)

2. You have unlocked at least the Communotron 32 Omni antenna. If you haven't, then you will need to dedicate one dish on each satellite to the network.

3. Each of the satellites has at least two, and preferably three dish antennas appropriate for whatever range you are working at.

Your satellites should each have one Communtron 32 Omni antenna. This is how the satellites communicate with each other. If you don't have this, then one of the dishes on your satellite has just become your dedicated link to the other sats and you must target the satellite itself. Ideally, you should set your comms up this way:

Communotron 32 for comms with other sats, KSC, and craft orbiting Kerbin. One dish pointing at Mun. One dish pointing at Minimus. One dish set to Active vessel, in case something goes awry.

If you *don't* have access to the Communtron 32, then point one dish from each Sat towards Kerbin, one dish towards the next sat in the chain (i.e. Sat 1 targets Sat 2, Sat 2 targets Sat 3, Sat 3 targets Sat 1. Your polar Sat isn't very helpful in this scenario.) Dish three points to Mun, Dish four to Minimus. Active vessel is a loss unless you add a fifth dish.

What you've done wrong, as far as I can see, is your satellites have dishes that target Kerbin, but the sats themselves are outside their cones. Look at the pictures. Assuming you don't have an Omni onboard that can reach the other sats (and I know you don't because if you did, you'd have a connection), your cones cover the planet perfectly, but anything outside the cone receives no coverage, and each sat's neighbors are outside the cones. Picture the satellites as three people standing in front of a sphere, all equidistant from the sphere and from each other. Each person, Adam, Bob, and Charlie, have LED flashlights. If I turn out the lights, and Adam, Bob, and Charlie all turn on their flashlights and point them directly towards the sphere, the cone of light from the flashlights will illuminate nearly the entire sphere, but Adam's light won't light up Bob or Charlie, and Bob's won't illuminate Adam or Charlie, etc. This is the scenario you've created.

I hope this helps. If you haven't done so, go here: http://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/tutorials/keo/ for very helpful info. Best of luck!

Edited by eightiesboi

active vessel just needs to be took out of RT why they keep it, I don't know, I really haven't found a use for it, Now if it targeted more then one maybe but then it would be OP.

I make use of it.

Typical strategy is:

(2) sats in KEO, as far apart as possible while still being able to see KSC, each has a downlink antenna to KSC and each has the longest ranged antenna slaved to "active vessel". Possibly a crosslink antenna that connects the two KEO sats.

From then on, all vessels that launch have (2) directional antennas pointed at that pair of KEO sats. Because those (2) KEO sats automatically point back at "active vessel" they can service multiple clients, just not all at once.

For more advanced networks, I suggest (2) sats per sphere of influence (SoI) with directional antennas that point back to Kerbin's SoI. Around Kerbin, you will then need (2) sats with a dozen or two antennas that point outward to each potential planet / moon.

Sprinkle in some Comm-16 / Comm-32 for omnidirectional mesh networks around each SoI.

- - - Updated - - -

UI wish list item - a text box that can be used to search for ships

The "Haystack Continued" UI with the search box is a wonderful thing when you have 30-40 flights active and need to start linking ship A to ship B to ship C.

Remember in the original Remotetech, there was this plane/probe thing? Whatever happened to it?

This thing:

ceoZQzL.jpg

53ZmeeE.jpg

It's wings could fold too...

Droavuj.jpg

Oh, and what happened to this one-part probe? it was a neat little relay device.

1ri6WFn.jpg

It had a tiny engine for stationkeeping and controlling it's orbit.

YiKqd44.jpg

Anyone know what happened to this these bits? I loved them (I don't really use remotetech, but I edited the configs to make these mechjeb-AI-things work)

Can anyone confirm that cones are working fine in 1.6 with a new save file? It could be mine are messed up because I'm using a converted save from 0.25 and if so I can do some digging since no word has come from the devs yet on this issue

Edit: Nevermind, I had some spare time so I threw up a satellite in a test save and saw a proper cone so I compared the MODULE properties and found that RTDishRadians has been changed to RTDishCosAngle. A simple Find/Replace All and I'm back in business now.

- - - Updated - - -

I would suggest sending Diazo a message, as he had to deal with this issue for his Action Groups Extended mod. I'm unsure of the resolution on his end, but I do recall discussions about it happening over there.

Peppie23 I would also suggest contacting agises, author of the Notes mod, since he has successfully included control lockout in Linux so users of that OS could actually type notes

Edited by Gaiiden

Remember in the original Remotetech, there was this plane/probe thing? Whatever happened to it?

This thing:

http://i.imgur.com/ceoZQzL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/53ZmeeE.jpg

It's wings could fold too...

http://i.imgur.com/Droavuj.jpg

Oh, and what happened to this one-part probe? it was a neat little relay device.

http://i.imgur.com/1ri6WFn.jpg

It had a tiny engine for stationkeeping and controlling it's orbit.

http://i.imgur.com/YiKqd44.jpg

Anyone know what happened to this these bits? I loved them (I don't really use remotetech, but I edited the configs to make these mechjeb-AI-things work)

Look here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83305-0-90-0-RemoteTech-v1-6-0?p=1663563&viewfull=1#post1663563

Edit: Nevermind, I had some spare time so I threw up a satellite in a test save and saw a proper cone so I compared the MODULE properties and found that RTDishRadians has been changed to RTDishCosAngle. A simple Find/Replace All and I'm back in business now.

Thank you. I didn't know that this change can cause a problem, sorry. Btw. thanks for helping for the keystroke issue. I'll contact agises and or Diazo to clarify what we can do.

I don't know whether this has been mentioned before but the entire purpose of a dish antenna is to trade field of vision for range. A high power antenna will have a field of vision of maybe 3 degrees but trade that for a huge amount of gain... It's silly to have an antenna with a fov of 180 degrees, that means it would have very low gain and crappy range...

I'm having trouble using the flight computer for attitude control.

I have a manned space plane that I use the remote tech computer for setting and holding a specific pitch and heading. I was using KSP 2.3.5 with an older version of remote tech for the longest time until the mods I use most were updated to work with KSP .90 and finally took the plunge.

In the older version when I tell the flight computer to hold a certain pitch and heading, lets say 10 degrees pitch and a 90 degree heading, the computer would hold it pretty well and I could get up to orbit.

Now when i set the pitch and heading the computer attempts to make adjustments, but the plane dips and swerves and eventually just crashes to the ground.

Has something changed with the flight computer so that it no longer functions well during take offs, or in atmosphere? I tried using Mechjeb for the first time, but could not find any way of setting a specific pitch and heading. I think remote tech might have the only computer that offers this kind of functionality.

Does anyone else use remote tech in this way? have you been successful and maybe i'm just not using the new version correctly?

any help would be greatly appreciated, i've been using the mod for years to fly my vessels this way.

Edit: The plane fly's fine in both versions, using they keyboard or joystick. only remote tech's computer seems to have a problem.

Edited by bojangles9999

Here's a config for Boxsat's module; just put it in a file called "RemoteTech_Boxsat_Probes.cfg" in "GameData/RemoteTech"

// Support for boxsat probe cores
// Original config by Cilph

@PART[62cm_BoxSat_ProbeCore_Module]:FOR[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive] {
%TechRequired = unmannedTech
%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}
}

@PART[62cm_BoxSat_ProbeCore_Module2]:FOR[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive] {
%TechRequired = unmannedTech
%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}
}

Thanks :) and, I changed the animations to the Firespitter plugin to get them to work like they did the only real problem was the miring of the 1 wing with the AeroProbe one has the blackside up but works :).

EDIT- If anyone liked the RT1, MicroSat & AeroProbe got it 2 ways one uses ModuleAnimateGeneric but some of the parts don't work right best can remember https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/RemoteTech1_Parts_.90.zip and this one all works but you need the Firespitter plugin https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/RemoteTech1_2_Parts_FS_.90.zip have fun.

EDIT- Or you can grab it from JDP github repo :)

Anyone able to jury-rig a FAR config for these? I have no idea where to start...

the bug i was experiencing with flight computer still occurs in the new version, i have no idea what's causing it, but i almost lost a crew (i know, blasphemy, i'm not supposed to save them, but i don't want to loose them :P) because flight computer kept me from aborting the launch...

After updating to 1.6.0 I've started having trouble returning to Space Center or recovering vessel - the attempt fails with the following exception in the log:

at PatchedConicRenderer.OnSceneSwitch (GameScenes scn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at HighLogic.LoadScene (GameScenes scene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PauseMenu.saveAndExit (GameScenes sceneToLoad, .Game stateToSave) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PauseMenu.draw (Int32 id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

The NRE mentions patched conics, so perhaps something in the updates to show dish cones?

My steps to reproduce would be:

1. Dock two vessels in orbit, where the target vessel has two docking ports (and both are connected to the RT network using omni antennas).

2. Restart KSP.

3. Switch to the vessel in orbit.

4. Undock and dock to the other target's docking port.

5. Attempt to return to Space Center via altimeter drop-down, or Pause menu.

I can reproduce this on my heavily modded career save using 1.6.0, and when reverting to 1.5.2, the problem does not occur. My apologies for not being able to provide a useful stock+RT save that reproduces the issue, but I will try to make one tomorrow.

KSP 0.90 x64

Linux (Ubuntu 14.10) x64

Logs from 1.5.2 (no issue)

Logs from 1.6.0 (issue reproduced)

Edited by ozraven