[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I have a KerbalEngineer EngineerChip (that has a simple ModuleSPU module) onboard of my rocket. That rocket though is controlled from a manned mk1 pod, and still, as soon as I set a target, the Flight Computer spams: Out of power, cannot run "Target: ..." on schedule. How can I fix that without removing neither the Chip nor the ModuleSPU from it?

I have a KerbalEngineer EngineerChip (that has a simple ModuleSPU module) onboard of my rocket. That rocket though is controlled from a manned mk1 pod, and still, as soon as I set a target, the Flight Computer spams: Out of power, cannot run "Target: ..." on schedule. How can I fix that without removing neither the Chip nor the ModuleSPU from it?

The best I've been able to tell, ModuleSPU wants to be on a part that also has an active ModuleCommand. If you want a small radial part that gives you access to the RT flight computer, I think the best way with the current code is to add ModuleCommand and make it into a mini probe core. See the OKTO2 or MechJeb's AR202 for config examples.

Has anyone seen a bug where RT 1.6.2 wont allow other stages to operate on launch?

I'm running a clean version of KSP .90 and as soon as I load RT into Gamedata rockets will not longer stage. I'm using the stock rockets provided by the game, as well as rockets I've made myself.

I'm having this problem with ModManager2.5.8 and ModManager2.5.9 - these are the only DLL versions I've tried, however, both RT 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 have this problem.

I'm asking before I start posting links to log files, if no one else has seen this then I'll assume it's on my end.

Thanks,

Denis

Using RT v1.6.2, when attempting to use the flight computer, the system will hold orientation and thrust, however as soon as the craft goes out of range, orientation is no longer held yest the thrust continues? I have recently upgraded to KSP 0.90 from RT v1.4.1 and KSP v0.24.2 and am following the same technique that I used with the previous version. Thanks!

Haven't used RT in a while.

Now I slapped it on an existing save and am wondering why a station I have in orbit, without crew or antennas, has local control? Was there a change recently so that some parts provide local control without crew?

Haven't used RT in a while.

Now I slapped it on an existing save and am wondering why a station I have in orbit, without crew or antennas, has local control? Was there a change recently so that some parts provide local control without crew?

RT hasn't changed. Any part that has ModuleCommand but not ModuleSPU provides local control. Does your station have any third-party parts that act as probe cores? They may not be configured for RT.

You should be able to do basic things with a satellite if it has a signal coming in even if its dish isn't activated. Like being able to activate said dish. I keep running into the issue that I cant areobrake with the dish open but if I close the dish the satellite is unreachable. Or maybe add a pre programming option like "Reactivate dish in x amount of time." Similar to the wake up functions nasa uses for satellites that take decades long missions.

You should be able to do basic things with a satellite if it has a signal coming in even if its dish isn't activated. Like being able to activate said dish. I keep running into the issue that I cant areobrake with the dish open but if I close the dish the satellite is unreachable. Or maybe add a pre programming option like "Reactivate dish in x amount of time." Similar to the wake up functions nasa uses for satellites that take decades long missions.

I agree, and in fact I wrote the code to make that an option, but the RemoteTech developers didn't like it. They felt it violated the core rule of the game (which is, "you can't do anything without a connection"). On the other hand, I feel this is more realistic and more fun, so hey. If you want it, I made my code available here. :)

Edited by Pharylon

You can do this with action groups, I believe. Bound the dish activation action to an action group, then execute that command with a delay.

Yep, exactly what I do. Obviously requires some planning, but that challenge is what makes it fun. I put in the appropriate amount of delay (periapsis + 5 minutes is usually plenty), with action groups to open com dish and solar panels when I'm still a ways out from aerobraking. Make sure everything looks good in the flight computer, reset delay to 0, then set hold retrograde, manually close up solar panels followed by dish/omni antennas. Make sure your current comm device is the last closed.

I have a query about Mechjeb and RT is there away to set up a manoeuvre when I have connectivity but when getting to that node which is outside the radius any connectivity still do that manoeuvre? I don't like that I've programmed mechjeb to do a manoeuvre when connected to KSP but then not do it when I loose connection.

I have a query about Mechjeb and RT is there away to set up a manoeuvre when I have connectivity but when getting to that node which is outside the radius any connectivity still do that manoeuvre? I don't like that I've programmed mechjeb to do a manoeuvre when connected to KSP but then not do it when I loose connection.

Create the maneuver in mechjeb (not create & execute), then open the flight computer. Click Node to point your ship in the direction of the next maneuver node, then click Exec, which will execute the next maneuver node (in this case, the one mechjeb created) at the appropriate time.

Suggestion - allow probe rename button (and dialog) to show up even if there is no power or probe connection.

One solution for this has been in RT for a while. Select the vessel in the tracking station, hit the rightmost RT button to bring up its antenna list, and you can rename it from that panel without having control.

I'd like to request that toggling SAS override whatever orientation command is currently in place. Currently you have to cancel the current heading hold in order to allow SAS to be switched on, otherwise the command reaches the craft and just does nothing. Could it also be possible to add an option that lets you enable/disable RCS for orientation use with the flight computer? If I'm telling it to hold a heading and then use RCS for thrust, it attempts to also use RCS to hold the heading and eventually oscillates out of control after a few seconds.

Also, any theories as to why a craft of mine fails to orient properly? I select "Control from here" and wait for the command to arrive, then tell it to hold prograde and the craft swings around to the prograde marker, holds pitch and heading but continually rolls. The command part is located right along the longitudinal axis of the craft (which is what it's rolling about) so maybe that has something to do with it? I use this command core on other craft without a problem though. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the fact that this craft was separated from another, and the command core isn't a root part?

One solution for this has been in RT for a while. Select the vessel in the tracking station, hit the rightmost RT button to bring up its antenna list, and you can rename it from that panel without having control.

Tracking station is verboten for me -- at least half the time the game freezes up when attempting to enter the tracking center from the space center and I've not been able to figure out why.

I've been searching this thread, it seems there's a point that is rarely discussed.

I really like the idea of having a more realistic link between KSC and unmanned ships. Including signal delay of course, that's what is making it so special.

With RemoteTech, you can simulate signal delay from KSC to ship, but it seems nobody cares about the delay from ship to KSC.

You are watching the ship and taking your decisions in real time, even if your decisions are delayed!

In a way, controling an unmanned ship in stock game looks much more "realistic", just consider you're playing an evolved AI.

You are watching the ship and taking your decisions in real time, even if your decisions are delayed!

It's true. Just the other day I had a burn go bad around Duna and immediately cancelled the maneuver and then was like - crap, I shouldn't have known things were going sideways for another minute and change. Even if you play IVA like with Probe Control Room, you're still looking at real-time data from your spacecraft. I'm not aware if Telemachus and similar programs interface with RT at all to get signal delay and properly delay the telemetry they display to you. That would be the best that could be done right now