[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

To be honest, i don't like these either, especially the line of sight cheat. With enough work I think it will be possible to remove them. That would only be after the team is satisfied that there are reasonable alternatives available.

I agree that there needs to be some kind of fail-safe in place to avoid loosing satellites. The argument comes from the difference between configuring ahead of time when you have a connection or fixing after the fact by using a cheat. I believe the former is possible.

Argh, please don't get rid of disabling signal delay... pretty please?

but I'm leery of trying to justify adding a cheat that is on by default by pointing to existing cheats that are off by default.

Then have it off by default. The pull request had a config field to enable/disable it.

Unless this mod incorporates a flight computer of the complexity of kOS it's never going to be that realistic. And to be honest I hope it never does as that is a level of complexity that is not fun if mandatory.

I use this mod because it is fun. True, I find it fun because it adds realism, but it is the fun that draws me not just because it is realistic. I disable delay because I find it neither fun nor realistic.

The XF patch is easy (already made) and reduces frustration. If and when you find a better solution fine, remove it, but we have been talking about potential solutions for a while now.

Exactly, have it available unless and until a better solution to the underlying issue is in place. as with the other options have them off be default. I don't believe anyone has advocated having them on out of the gate only that it be an option than can be enabled, at least until a fail safe programming option can be put in.

Alright, I fiddled with the source code a little, fixed some minor compile errors and RemoteTech now loads for me under KSP 1.0. I don't have much experience with modding...

Anyway, here is a link to the "fixed" version, I haven't tested much, be gentle. There is a fork on github it's under cybercritic.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32239143/RemoteTech%20%5B1.6.5%5D%20%281.0-fix%29.zip

Was this the 1.63 branch or 1.7?

Anyway, here is a link to the "fixed" version, I haven't tested much, be gentle. There is a fork on github it's under cybercritic.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1.0-fix%29.zip

Gave this a quick try. Interface is now all there, but there seems to be an issue with transmitting data. Tried to transmit a crew report from a manned craft in orbit. Even with the antenna pointed at mission control and the connection clearly visible in the map view I always get the "no comms device" message.

Argh, please don't get rid of disabling signal delay... pretty please?

Sorry, i wasnt trying to alarm. It wont be removed unless there is agreement between the devs that it is no longer needed. We have no plans for what the features that would replace it look like. So dont worry about it :)

Quick status update:

We have one last bug to fix before we will be ready for a 1.0 release that bug currently makes it impossible to transmit science and scanning data. we are investigating it tonight.

Good news all around today and now this. Wicked cool. Just a few more core mods now (RT, KW, MRS, SCANSat and KAS & KOS) and I'm off to Mun again, or spectacular failures! Jeb, brace yourself.

I'm looking for some help with an issue that's got me completely stumped. Yesterday I launched this station core in two parts:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

As you can see from the pictures, the SPU for the probe core says it's operational, while the SPU on the habitat claims there is no connection. The latter seems to be overriding the former, forcing it into a no connection state, even though the icon indicates there is a good connection, as you can see in the upper left corner. I used MM to insert an SPU into the habitat so that I could have control over the station until I put Kerbals into space, though I may have done it incorrectly, as I'm realizing now that I didn't change the command requirement for the habitat to unmanned, but even that doesn't seem like it would cause this problem as I used the same launch vehicle which has a probe core and antennas and should be able to control the whole station until I send some Kerbals up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you need other information, please let me know what so I can post it.

Thanks.

PS: I should also mention that I was able to undock the first launch vehicle without a problem, but now that I've docked the second to the station, I have absolutely zero control over anything, with the response always being that there is no connection on which to send the command...

EDIT: Funnily enough, I just figured it out... a different mod had added the SPUPassive module to all parts with a command module and a crew greater than 0. I changed my MM file to delete this and it fixed the issue.

Edited by SpacedInvader

Alright, I fiddled with the source code a little, fixed some minor compile errors and RemoteTech now loads for me under KSP 1.0. I don't have much experience with modding...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32239143/RemoteTech%20%5B1.6.5%5D%20%281.0-fix%29.zip

it appears i cant attach the remotetech dishes to the attachment node on the top of the flat 1 m probe core, it does attach radially however, none of the dishes connect to the core, when i flipped one upside down it snapped to the node, but, its upside down. :P

hope this gets fixed. :D

edit: ksp crashed when i tried to go to the launchpad

Edited by Deadpangod3

it appears i cant attach the remotetech dishes to the attachment node on the top of the flat 1 m probe core, it does attach radially however, none of the dishes connect to the core, when i flipped one upside down it snapped to the node, but, its upside down. :P

hope this gets fixed. :D

edit: ksp crashed when i tried to go to the launchpad

KSP 1.0 is now strict with node facing so that is probably the issue.

Quick status update:

We have one last bug to fix before we will be ready for a 1.0 release that bug currently makes it impossible to transmit science and scanning data. we are investigating it tonight.

RIP my F5 key.

(But seriously, your mod is awesome and I am really excited to play with it in 1.0)

Was this the 1.63 branch or 1.7?

I cloned the master branch, not sure if 1.7 was merged into master yet though.

Gave this a quick try. Interface is now all there, but there seems to be an issue with transmitting data. Tried to transmit a crew report from a manned craft in orbit. Even with the antenna pointed at mission control and the connection clearly visible in the map view I always get the "no comms device" message.

My goal was just to get the mod loading in KSP until somebody with some knowledge of the code got around to patching it and now the professionals are on the case, so my work is done :)

Playing KSP without RemoteTech is cheating BTW...

The reason we dont allow it in RemoteTech is because such an action is impossible in the real world. We felt that enabling something that clearly violates the laws of physics would not fit with the theme of the mod.

We need to have a better safety net for when you go out of range and there are a lot of ideas on how to do this. Adding a hack that lets you contact probes with no connection is, in my opinion, just a lazy hack. Which is why i denied the pull request. All of the other options are harder to implement than a simple hand wave of the rules.

So, if a probe has no connection and the vehicle is in focus, why not simulate it checking all the other options in the target list until it finds one with a connection?

It's a simulation of backup code on the probe rather than a 'lazy hack', doesn't violate physics and you would only get control if a signal got through which maintains realism. This mode could even use more power.

What's more, it's easy to code ;)